How can I sync my vault, created on a mac, to a PC? Don't you dare say Dropbox. I've tried. Failed.

So I have a license account with work. I have created an account here just to post. It is not affiliated with the license nor do I intend it to be.

SO.. I have an up to date 1Password 6 on my mac running 10.12.6 (latest sierra, to date) and am trying to sync my vault onto my parallels desktop (I've also tried on my home computer, a PC (running the latest windows 10), and ran into the same issue.
The issue is that when on the PC trying to restore from a backup, no matter what method I use (dropbox, file/folder, etc.) when trying to find this backup (which is getting saved as this .opvault file type) the PC is reading it as a folder/.zip and not able to find any useful contents.
I've read multiple threads (all from 2016) stating to use dropbox but that does not work. Was this depreciated? Is there something I'm missing?

Please help!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:syncing across operating systems

Comments

• Hi @hoevans,

Thanks for writing in.

First, do not restore the OPVault file as a backup file (it is not a backup), it is the normal vault that 1Password should open right away. Ask 1Password to open an existing vault, not a backup. That should be all you need to do. Let me know if it doesn't or what error it shows.

On Windows, it is normal that 1Password.opvault is treated as a folder, it is technically a folder but on macOS, it is treated as a bundle file instead.

• hoevans
    hoevans
    Community Member

Ok strange.. I went to try and see what my options were when I clicked "open an existing vault" on the PC side. I remember still having issues. Maybe because I didn't know where this "normal vault" lives so I didn't know what to select.

Here's the strange part. I opened 1Password4 and it prompted me for a password. Sure enough my master password opened it up and all the contents were there.

Any ideas why this happened?

Last time I had the app open I had tried to sync through dropbox. I closed it. Shut down the Parallels windows 10 OS and now it's resolved.

• hoevans
    hoevans
    Community Member

Just noticing it's a 1Password trial... maybe because I've signed in here??

• MikeT
    edited July 2017

Hi @hoevans,

That is normal when Dropbox sync is still in progress and it would explain why it wasn't "usable". Your entire 1Password vault has to be downloaded first before it can be unlocked.

Just noticing it's a 1Password trial... maybe because I've signed in here??

You have to manually register your license by going to the 1Password 4's Help Menu > Enter License Key when you open 1Password.

• hoevans
    hoevans
    Community Member

gotcha. Thanks MikeT! you da man.

• hoevans
    hoevans
    Community Member

Just to clarify, when I sync to dropbox from my mac, I'll wait for the sync to finish. Is there a way to know when this is done? My connection isn't terrible so I would think this would happen pretty quickly.

Also because I'll be doing this on my home PC at some point (on Window 7 :blush:), what should I be looking for when I hit 'open an existing vault'. Like what file type/name?

• hoevans
    hoevans
    Community Member

Also sorry to spam but, I have this .onepassword-license file that I can click and open on the mac end and it licenses it right up.. where can I find the license key with this info?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

gotcha. Thanks MikeT! you da man.

@hoevans: Yes. Yes he is. :sunglasses:

Just to clarify, when I sync to dropbox from my mac, I'll wait for the sync to finish. Is there a way to know when this is done? My connection isn't terrible so I would think this would happen pretty quickly.

It's generally just the initial sync that takes a bit (since Dropbox os not only syncing your whole vault, but probably a lot of other files to a new computer). Since you've already sync'd your Dropbox data there fully, it will only need to sync individual files that change going forward, which is much quicker. But you can always tell from the Dropbox notification icon if it's finished syncing because it will have a green check mark.

Also because I'll be doing this on my home PC at some point (on Window 7 :blush:), what should I be looking for when I hit 'open an existing vault'. Like what file type/name?

It will be the same as what you're using on this PC: just setup Dropbox first so all of your data syncs to the computer, and once that's complete you can open the .opvault folder in 1Password and you're good to go.

Also sorry to spam but, I have this .onepassword-license file that I can click and open on the mac end and it licenses it right up.. where can I find the license key with this info?

We view this as good spam. Always happy to help! Sorry for the confusion there. 1Password for Windows uses a license key, not the license file that the Mac version has. If you purchased both, you'll have them each in your license email. But a 1Password for Mac license will not work in 1Password for Windows.

This discussion has been closed.