ios app freeze during or after login w/ spinner in top bar

jwilson3
jwilson3
Community Member

After the latest update to version 6.8 of 1Password for iOS I'm unable to use the app due to the screen freezing. The freeze can occur at different times, for instance sometime at the login screen when typing the password manually the onscreen keyboard becomes unresponsive. Other times after using the Touch ID, (or successfully entering the master password manually) I arrive to the main home screen. Then immediately an animated spinner starts moving in the very top bar next to the cellular provider name and the wifi icon. The entire application becomes unresponsive, I cannot click to open "settings" or any other tab, to attempt to disable touch id inside the app. I cannot use search. Very occasionally, I'll get lucky and things will happen to work. I think there is some relation to the freeze and the spinner / sync, but I have been unable to find help on how to troubleshoot this any further. I've tried the processes from other forum threads on killing the app with the double tap home button + swipe up + phone reboot, but this had no effect.

I have around 2500 entries across 31 vaults. I use 1password for Teams, as well as a family account which I recently migrated around 900 items from an old personal vault that I used to sync over Dropbox or iCloud (cannot remember), but have since stopped using -- though i think the vault is still there. I emptied all the values out of the old vault using the desktop app, around about the time this started happening too -- might just be a coincidence.

Thanks for your help

1Password Version: 6.8 (mobile), 6.7.1 (desktop)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: ios 10.3.2
Sync Type: 1password.com & icloud (i think)
Referrer: forum-search:iphone app freezes upon login

Comments

• jwilson3
    jwilson3
    Community Member

Forgot to mention another symptom that the list of items flickers between semi-transparency and fully opaque rapidly about 3 times upon login to the ios app.

And if I let the screen go to sleep while the app is active and frozen, the ios password screen shows up, and after entering my password, it takes longer than normal to load into the home screen.

• Hi @jwilson3,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. I'm sorry to hear about the difficulty here. Does this occur if you have airplane mode enabled on your device?

Please let us know.

Ben

• jwilson3
    jwilson3
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

Hi @Ben, After much fiddling around last night, the ios app started working after doing the following couple steps on my Desktop:

• Updated Desktop app from 6.7.1 to 6.8.
    • On Desktop app, manually removed any duplicates from my Family account, and empty all trash.
    • Confirmed that all items from the old Dropbox-synced vault are moved to my 1Password.com family account.
    • Disabled the local vault inside the preferences panel of 1P app on my Desktop.
    • Attempting over and over and over to launch the app on my phone, (I presume, by letting it sit long enough to apparently finish syncing).

Since the problem no longer occurs (for now) on my iPhone, I'm unable to test your Airplane mode theory, but will keep it in mind if this happens again. I suppose we can close this post. Thanks for your responsiveness!

• Thanks @jwilson3. For what it is worth, my theory was that the syncing of the local vault was causing this issue. It is possible for the app to get into a state like this if there is an invalid item in a local vault that it is trying to sync.

Please do let us know if the problem recurs. :)

Ben

• jhoelzl
    jhoelzl
    Community Member

Hello, i have the same issue after the last update. I have a 1Password Familiy Account and a vault on dropbox. So i can not use my IOS app anymore since after start it opens the default fault and then freezes. I also tried a new start of iPhone and App, did not help.
    All my faults work on my Mac Desktop App.

• Hi @jhoelzl

Does this occur if you have airplane mode enabled on your device?

Ben

• jhoelzl
    jhoelzl
    Community Member

Hi @Ben, it has no effect if I am in airplane mode, wifi or over cellular. When I start the app, I can scroll through the category list for about 2 seconds, then the app freezes. Could be related to my dropbox vault, but how can I remove it when I can not enter the settings. Maybe uninstall the app, then again sign into my 1Password Family account without dropbox? I will try.

• That would be a good troubleshooting step, yes. :)

Ben

• jhoelzl
    jhoelzl
    Community Member

@Ben, i reinstalled the App from the Appstore and then added my 1Password Account and my Dropbox Vault. Seems to work again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Great! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Ben, you are most welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.