To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

need help

red sky
red sky
Community Member

I updated 1Password today on my Mac desktop computer. Then the browser extension didn’t work. I’m using Safari.
I uninstalled and reinstalled the extension. Now it works.

However, in the process of trying to solve the problem, I went to the Sign Into Account screen.
It asked for a Sign-in Address and a Secret Key.

What is my Sign-in Address?

I read about the Secret Key, but I never created one.
I tried putting in my license key but got an error message that it is not the same as the Secret Key.

I purchased 1Password from Agilebits.

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: ?
OS Version: Mac OS 10.12.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @red sky - Great question and sorry for the confusion. We currently offer customers two options to using 1Password - a standalone license for Mac which you're currently rocking and a 1Password membership.

When you sign up for a 1Password membership, we provide you with a Secret Key. The Secret Key is used to encrypt your data in conjunction with your Master Password. It's one of the two keys required to sign in and access the account from the web or when setting up a new device with a 1Password.com account. A license key is different which is used to validate the app after purchasing a standalone license. If you're interested in taking a 1Password membership out for a test drive, we include a 30 day free trial :smile: https://1password.com/sign-up/

I hope this helped and again sorry for any confusion, we'll be here to help if you have any additional questions. :+1:

• red sky
    red sky
    Community Member

Frank, thanks for the super explanation. I read the article about membership and think I will continue with the standalone license.

But while I have your attention, perhaps you can help with a security concern we have. I keep 1P running on my desktop Mac computer.
    Easy peasy.

I also use 1P with the fingerprint ID on my iPad and iPhone.

My husband is concerned that if someone broke into our house, they could access all our passwords by way of the desktop computer. He would like to see me sign out of 1P every time I leave the computer, then sign in again each time with the incredibly complex alphanumeric master password.

I say the burglar would have to know we have 1P and how to use it.

What do you think? Should I be signing in and out all the time?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@red sky: While you may be right that someone may not be familiar with 1Password, I think it's important to assume that an attacker will be smart enough to figure it out. So 1Password is designed with this in mind. And part of that is the great security settings you can use to protect your data from others. While we'd recommend locking 1Password when not in use, this isn't something you need to remember to do. You can configure 1Password to do this automatically.

For example, in 1Password Preferences > Security, I have "Lock on sleep", "Lock when screen saver is active", and "Lock when computer is idle for 30 minutes" enabled. That way if I walk away from my computer for a bit and get distracted (sandwich...), 1Password will lock on its own to prevent someone unscrupulous from accessing my sensitive data.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• red sky
    red sky
    Community Member

So, it looks like my husband was right.
    I will use the auto-lock setting, then type in the long master password each time (sigh).

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@red sky: Glad that helped! Just keep in mind that 1Password's security settings are very configurable, so you can find a combination that works best for you. When I'm at my computer, I almost never need to enter my Master Password. It's just when I wander away that I'll ned to again. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.