Opera extension stopped working after updating to 6.7.448 [Should be fixed in 6.7.451]

Options
the_ress
the_ress
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Nothing happens when I click the 1Password button in Opera. I tried installing 6.7.448 again, it didn't help.

Also 1Password.NativeMessagingHost.exe didn't exit before the auto-update and I got a 'DeleteFile failed' error. (I stopped Opera, killed all 1Password.NativeMessagingHost.exe instances and clicked retry so the file should be updated too.)

1Password Version: 6.7.448
Extension Version: 4.6.7.90
OS Version: Windows 10 (1703)
Sync Type: Account

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @the_ress,

Thanks for reporting this.

Can you tell me what anti-malware solution you're using? This looks like something is holding a file handle on that specific file and preventing 1Password from deleting it, we've seen it with MalwareBytes and McAfee.

You said you've killed all instances of 1Password.NativeMessagingHost.exe but when you clicked on retry again, did another instance show up in Task Manager?

• the_ress
    the_ress
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    I use just Windows Defender that comes with Windows.

When I killed 1Password.NativeMessagingHost.exe, Opera kept launching it again. So I closed Opera, killed remaing instance(s) of 1Password.NativeMessagingHost.exe and then clicked Retry and the installation continued.

1Password.NativeMessagingHost.exe didn't show up again until I launched Opera again.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @the_ress,

Thanks for the details. I'll try to reproduce that issue with Opera, can you confirm what version of Opera and 1Password extension are installed?

Also, are you still not able to run 1Password extension in Opera and seeing this issue? If that is correct, try uninstalling 1Password via the Control Panel, which will not affect your 1Password data, and grabbing the latest beta from here to see if that'll work. You may have to reboot your computer just in case.

When I killed 1Password.NativeMessagingHost.exe, Opera kept launching it again.

Well, that's normal, the 1Password extension is responsible for launching it again if NMH stops running or crashes, including terminating it via Task Manager. Unfortunately, our installer doesn't know who launched it originally, so it doesn't tell you to close Opera before running the update. What is supposed to happen is that when you or 1Password start the update process, it informs all 1Password extensions connected via native messaging to disable itself for 20 seconds to give the updater a chance to finish installing. This worked in almost all cases.

• the_ress
    the_ress
    Community Member
    Options

I have Opera 46.0.2597.57 with 1Password extension 4.6.7.90.

I uninstalled and reinstalled 1Password 6.7.448 and it still doesn't work in Opera.

Standalone app and Chrome extension both seem to be working.
    And version 6.6.439 works in Opera too.

• the_ress
    the_ress
    Community Member
    Options

I think I found the cause of this issue.

The 1Password.NativeMessagingHost.exe in 6.7.448 checks that Opera/Chrome extension ID is either phicbbndgmmpogmijjkbmdhpioaieaha or aomjjhallfgjeglblehebfpbcfeobpgk.

My extension ID is fpnbobholfpcolmkinlokiaaanjilcop so instead it waits for 8 hours and then exits.

This check doesn't seem to be there in 6.6.439.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @the_ress,

Good catch, we've added extra security verifications in the 447 update and it didn't include Opera in the list.

That would explain why 1Password extension didn't disable itself.

Thank you!!!

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @the_ress,

We just shipped 6.7.450 with the fix for Opera.

• the_ress
    the_ress
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, thanks for the quick release. It still doesn't work with Opera however.

The 1Password.NativeMessagingHost.exe file in 6.7.450 is exactly the same as in 6.7.448 (except for signature and PE checksum). It's also strange the file version is set to 6.7.445. (It was like this in 6.7.448 too.)

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @the_ress,

It looks like our build process didn’t include the newer file for some reason. We’re looking into it.

• MikeT
    Options

Oh by the way, thanks for helping out with the beta testing, our dev team is loving your reports.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @the_ress,

Please give it a try now, 6.7.451 should now include build 451 of all files. I tested it on my other machines, it did include them now.

• the_ress
    the_ress
    Community Member
    Options

6.7.451 works. Thanks!

• MikeT
    Options

Great, thanks for your awesome help!

This discussion has been closed.