How can I recover or change Master Password using Touch ID that is working?

Capt_Kirk
Capt_Kirk
Community Member
edited July 2017 in iOS

I have 1Password on my iPhone 6s+ and my iPad 9.7 Pro. I have both set up for Touch ID for log in. In setting up my new iPad 10.5 Pro I discovered that it is not accepting what I thought was my Master Password & I am getting error messages that the what I am using for the Master Password is incorrect. When I try to use the Master Password on the 6s+ and the 9.7 I am getting the same error that the Master Password is incorrect, but I can still get into 1Password on the 6s+ and the 9.7 using the Touch ID. How can I reset the Master Password when I have logged into 1Password using the Touch ID? I can see everything in the 1Password app on both the 6s+ and the 9.7, but I cannot figure out how to reset the Master Password from within the App.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

ref: UPZ-19851-993

Comments

• Hi @Capt_Kirk,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. I see you also emailed us about this issue. For future reference it is not necessary to contact us via multiple channels about the same issue. Unfortunately doing so can cause a duplication of efforts for us, which slows down support for everyone.

You cannot change your Master Password without first entering the correct current Master Password. What you can do though is copy your data out into a 1Password membership. Here is what I would recommend:

1. Migrate your data to a 1Password account trial: https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/
    2. Once all data is accessible via 1Password.com delete your Primary vault from 1Password > Settings > Vaults > Primary > Delete Vault

If you want to continue to use a 1Password membership account you can then simply uninstall & reinstall 1Password on the iPad and sign into your account (stop here)

If you do not wish to use a membership account you'll need to migrate your data back to a standalone vault, and set up syncing again:

1. Uninstall 1Password on the iPhone, reinstall it, and select the option to create a standalone vault
    2. Sign into your 1Password membership account
    3. Move the items in the membership vault back to the Primary vault: Move items between vaults - 1Password Support
    4. Sign out of the membership account
    5. Uninstall & reinstall 1Password on the iPad and set up syncing with the iPhone: Sync your 1Password data - 1Password Support

You can learn about the benefits of a 1Password membership subscription here:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Thanks.

Ben

ref: UPZ-19851-993

This discussion has been closed.