Common credential across multiple login objects

christopherphillips
christopherphillips
Community Member

I've tried searching and I can't find an answer to this question, so please forgive me if this is answered somewhere readily. I know this is kind of an edge-case question anyway.
I'm familiar with adding multiple URL's to the same login to accomplish logging in to multiple sites, that isn't the answer to the question I have.
My dilemma is as follows:

I have a login from my employer, via Active Directory/LDAP. Many of the web applications we utilize are linked back to to LDAP, which is very convenient. What is not convenient is that many of them require different username formats.

e.g.: one site requires "username@domain.com" and will not accept just username.
another site requires "username" with no domain
a third site requires "domain\username" and will not accept just username.

Right now, I have to maintain at least 3 separate login items because of the differences in username even though the password for each is the same. Changing my password means finding all entries with the same password and updating them.

I fully understand that at the very core of 1Password is the idea that password re-use is bad, thus linking a common password to multiple logins is antithetical to the design. I don't have a good idea for how to solve this problem. Just curious if anyone else has found a solution/workaround or even faced the same issue.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2017

Hi @christopherphillips

I apologize for the delay in responding. You're certainly not the only one to request a way to better handle single sign on credentials across multiple services (which may expect the username to be formatted differently). I don't really have a great solution to offer. At the moment I think beyond what you're currently doing the only other thing I would suggest would be to tag all of the items that use the SSO credentials "Active Directory" or something so that you can easily locate them when a password change is required.

Hopefully in the future we can think of a better way.

Thanks!

Ben

• christopherphillips
    christopherphillips
    Community Member

Thanks @Ben, I appreciate you replying and offering that suggestion. I'm not currently doing that and will give it a try!

• Very good. :+1: Hope that helps alleviate some of the situation.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.