To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Does Travel Mode erase the locally stored account key?

2»

Comments

• IanTaylorFB
    IanTaylorFB
    Community Member

@brenty Thanks for such a quick reply - and on a Saturday, too! I completely agree with what you're saying - I'm trying to understand the granularity to see if Travel Mode gives me what I would like to think it gives me!

Steeping through it -
    1. If my device remains locked, I'm all good, irrespective of Travel Mode.
    2. Likewise if my device is unlocked, but 1PW remains locked, again irrespective of Travel Mode.
    3. If we arrive at the point where 1PW is unlocked on my device, it seems to me that there are no more barriers to account access and "non-travelling" vaults.

The question is not about the legal / social aspects, rather I'm trying to figure out if Travel Mode really gives a step in between "all" and "nothing". At steps 1 and 2, nothing (that is, no 1PW data) has been revealed. If the situation is such that you get to step 3, with 1PW unlocked, it seems there are no material barriers to account access, and so all has been revealed.

I get the idea of removing vaults in Travel Mode and thereby limiting the number of online accounts "carried", but the problem, it seems to me, is that I am carrying my 1password.com account, and so that remains accessible (if/when we end up at step 3). Does that make sense?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@brenty Thanks for such a quick reply - and on a Saturday, too! I completely agree with what you're saying - I'm trying to understand the granularity to see if Travel Mode gives me what I would like to think it gives me!

@IanTaylorFB: Sure thing! Glad if I can help you navigate some of the issues here. :)

I think this is where we're on different pages:

1. If we arrive at the point where 1PW is unlocked on my device, it seems to me that there are no more barriers to account access and "non-travelling" vaults.

That would be true only if you're signed into 1Password.com in your browser, since Travel Mode can not only be disabled from there...and of course all of your data is accessible. But if we're talking about the app Travel Mode can ensure that you have no data in 1Password if you want, or only vaults you've marked as "Safe for Travel".

So in that scenario, if you unlock 1Password for the border official, they will have only your "travel safe" data and access to your Secret Key (under Settings/Preferences > Accounts). Your Master Password, however, is only known by you.

I get the idea of removing vaults in Travel Mode and thereby limiting the number of online accounts "carried", but the problem, it seems to me, is that I am carrying my 1password.com account, and so that remains accessible (if/when we end up at step 3). Does that make sense?

Unless you tell them your Master Password, they won't be able to sign in to your account on 1Password.com to access your data and/or check your Travel Mode setup. And provided you do not both give them access to your account credentials in this fashion and relinquish your Master Password, the only thing you need to do is change your Secret Key later on, just to be on the safe side. Then, at that point, they won't have anything they can use to get to your data later on either. I hope this helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.