Using another's Password file

Forgive me if I have not located an explanation of this, I am a bit clouded by mourning and not as aggressive as I have been in searching features.
I set my mother up with 1Password, and need to use it to help resolve her estate.
I am a bit confused as to how Vaults and Family versions work.
May I just open my Win4,6 or Mac 6 with her file, or use it as a vault in my current versions?
Thanks
well managed and convenient , this program has been a great help
Devs, please keep the feature creep from making the core program confusing.
I am barraged by features that distract and confuse. Keep that rock solid simple.

thanks again

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Iwouldrathernot,

Thanks for writing in. I'm sorry to hear that.

We definitely are working to simplify 1Password as much as possible and it will be a never-ending mission for us. In fact, we are doing that with the 1Password.com membership, so there's no question as to what version of 1Password you need, how vaults work, etc.

To better answer your question, can you tell me if you have a 1Password.com membership or you're using standalone vaults that you're sharing with your mother via Dropbox?

• Iwouldrathernot
    Iwouldrathernot
    Community Member

I am not sure if I have 1password.com membership
    How can I determine that?
    it's not in my password file

Thanks
    Nothing like tech support combined with mourning
    Hard at times to know which it is , because I cry during both.

• Iwouldrathernot
    Iwouldrathernot
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

found it , will get this part of it registered,
    I have been in the forum and used Agile bits web site for purchases and how they are distinct wasn't apparent

I do not have a 1password.com membership nor did she
    and am still sorting out what that enables
    Win 4.6.1.620 mac and iOs for us both
    I have free control of all accounts, but have to have her hardware to use her stuff at this point and was trying to figure out if vaults or entering the other account is best done by closing my account and opening hers
    If I need to open her in 1password.com as well as myself I can
    an it is not clear if 1password.com should have same Username email and passwords as my standalone. that seems odd and redundant as well as what I use 1PW to prevent.

thnx

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2017

I am not sure if I have 1password.com membership How can I determine that? it's not in my password file Thanks

@Iwouldrathernot: Just to clarify for anyone else, you will only have a 1Password .com membership if you'd signed up for one. That’s the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com.

Nothing like tech support combined with mourning Hard at times to know which it is , because I cry during both.

I'm really sorry for your loss. I can only imagine. We'll do our best to help you get things sorted out with 1Password so that at least won't be a source of pain for you. :blush:

found it , will get this part of it registered, I have been in the forum and used Agile bits web site for purchases and how they are distinct wasn't apparent

I apologize for the confusion there. Glad to hear that you found the information you needed.

I do not have a 1password.com membership nor did she and am still sorting out what that enables Win 4.6.1.620 mac and iOs for us both I have free control of all accounts, but have to have her hardware to use her stuff at this point and was trying to figure out if vaults or entering the other account is best done by closing my account and opening hers If I need to open her in 1password.com as well as myself I can an it is not clear if 1password.com should have same Username email and passwords as my standalone. that seems odd and redundant as well as what I use 1PW to prevent. thnx

1Password.com is a way for us to store your encrypted data for you on our server. That way, if your computers/phones are lost, stolen, or destroyed, you can still access them any time using your account details — Master Password, Secret Key, etc. It backs up all of your 1Password data, and also makes it easy to access it on any of your devices simply by signing in to your account. So this will contain anything you save there.

Conversely, the standalone version of 1Password stores data only on each individual device, and is only sync'd or backed up if you set that up yourself.

I'm glad that you were able to access everything. Please be sure to backup your data somewhere safe, and let us know if you have any questions at all. We're here for you! :)

• Iwouldrathernot
    Iwouldrathernot
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

Thank you for your kind words and thoughts
    and helpful reply

I have been struggling with the very issues I had helped others with in the past , programs naming things
    with a specificity that conflates and confounds, and makes changes very confusing.
    I get that, frequent use makes the differentiation almost invisible to a heavy user.
    As programs try to become more useful to power users, feature creep erodes core commonality.
    1Pw has a lot of things that help (eg change log). I like it and use it

Dammit, I need a cartoon
    Every time somebody makes things "easier" I wince.

I still don't get that:
    1) How is 1PW.com different from my Dropbox sync? Is it a shift to cloud?
    2) Are my login, Secret key, Master Passwords in 1pw.com supposed to be the same as my stand alone?
    3) The difference between 1password.com and agilebits.com and different accounts (purchaser's, 1PW,forum) isn't clear, links send to diffent places.
    4) The effects of various ways of buying the program: from Ap store, from site, by what appears online license for cloud isn't clear.
    5) am I in effect going from stand alone to online entering of all my encryption keys/master passwords? This seems less secure.
    6) what is considered my responsibility to read/watch/understand/follow and purchase to responsibly use the program as a good customer/partner? I am having to work hard just to know if i need to just send you some more money!
    7) still have the original question that is about accessing two 1PW accounts so I don't have to carry multiple machines just for PW access.
    Is this a feature of a "family/team" account, and can I have accounts on the same machine?

I am caught between the too simple ( warm, friendly intro vid) and the overly complex, and just need simple right now

of note: while entering this note I got hit with a ransomware attack
    and a agliebits forum notification response of:
    "Something has gone wrong.
    We've run into a problem and are unable to handle this request right now.
    Please check back in a little while."

sigh
    just trying to get it right

Thanks again and my sincere apologies if I am being dense.
    Know that your karma gets passed along.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for your kind words and thoughts and helpful reply

@Iwouldrathernot: You're very welcome!

I have been struggling with the very issues I had helped others with in the past , programs naming things with a specificity that conflates and confounds, and makes changes very confusing. I get that, frequent use makes the differentiation almost invisible to a heavy user.

As programs try to become more useful to power users, feature creep erodes core commonality. 1Pw has a lot of things that help (eg change log). I like it and use it Dammit, I need a cartoon Every time somebody makes things "easier" I wince.

I hear you! It's important that we make security easier for people so they can use 1Password instead of things like Excel and Post Its™, but it's definitely a delicate balance any time something is changed.

I still don't get that:
    1) How is 1PW.com different from my Dropbox sync? Is it a shift to cloud?

Essentially, yes. A lot of folks rightly asked us, "Why do I have to sign up for a separate account with another company to sync my 1Password data?" and of course when something goes wrong with syncing it isn't very helpful for us to not have the ability to fix it. And with other long-standing requests for sharing and other features, we wanted to make a service that made this things not only possible, but seamless.

2) Are my login, Secret key, Master Passwords in 1pw.com supposed to be the same as my stand alone?

You'll only have a Secret Key at all if you've signed up for a 1Password.com account. We generally recommend using the same Master Password there since most people will migrate everything and use that going forward. But you can choose a different Master Password if you wish — and it's an opportunity to use an even better one!

3) The difference between 1password.com and agilebits.com and different accounts (purchaser's, 1PW,forum) isn't clear, links send to diffent places.

Can you tell me which links you're referring to? I'll be happy to clarify.

4) The effects of various ways of buying the program: from Ap store, from site, by what appears online license for cloud isn't clear.

The standalone 1Password app can be bought from us or an app store in many cases, and that gets you the version you purchased; a license is in no way associated with the data you store in the app. A 1Password.com membership includes the latest version of all of the apps; it's an account you sign in to on each device to access your data, so there's no sync setup or license keys.

5) am I in effect going from stand alone to online entering of all my encryption keys/master passwords? This seems less secure.

I know it isn't obvious, but it doesn't work that way at all. With a 1Password.com membership, you choose a Master Password, and the Secret Key is generated locally on your device. These are both used to encrypt your data locally on your device before it's ever transmitted. So the server only receives encrypted data. And your Master Password and Secret Key are never sent to us — even when you sign into your account: we're using Secure Remote Password protocol to let you prove that you know these secrets without you ever revealing them to us.

6) what is considered my responsibility to read/watch/understand/follow and purchase to responsibly use the program as a good customer/partner? I am having to work hard just to know if i need to just send you some more money!

Hmm. That's a tough question. Certainly we're here to help in any way we can and answer you! But honestly we never hear from most folks, as they're happy just to be able to secure their digital lives. We try to make it easy and intuitive to use 1Password so that no one has to contact us unless they want to, or need help with something. We love hearing from everyone, and the great questions and suggestions people bring up. But for the most part our customers seem happiest if things just work smoothly. I'm sorry if we've contributed to your confusion here. But the most important thing is that if you have a 1Password setup that works for you, there's no need to change it or pay anything further.

7) still have the original question that is about accessing two 1PW accounts so I don't have to carry multiple machines just for PW access. Is this a feature of a "family/team" account, and can I have accounts on the same machine?

I think you might mean multiple vaults, but accounts work too. You can access different vaults in the standalone version of 1Password, but 1Password.com does make it much easier to manage multiple vaults since they are part of your account: signing in loads all that you have access to, even those shared by others.

For example, by default, a 1Password Families plan includes up to five members at the base price. Each family member gets their own Private vault, which only they can use, and also access to the family Shared vault which everyone can use by default. And it's possible to create additional vaults which are shared with all, some, or no others. Whichever your account has access to will automatically be available to you when you sign in on a device.

I am caught between the too simple ( warm, friendly intro vid) and the overly complex, and just need simple right now

That' makes sense. I think I've addressed all of your questions above, but please let me know if you have any others or need clarification! :blush:

of note: while entering this note I got hit with a ransomware attack

and a agliebits forum notification response of: "Something has gone wrong. We've run into a problem and are unable to handle this request right now. Please check back in a little while."

Sorry about that. The "Something has gone wrong" error is unfortunately an issue that the forum vendor is working to address. You should be able to reload the page to get it working, but I do apologize for the inconvenience. :(

sigh just trying to get it right Thanks again and my sincere apologies if I am being dense. Know that your karma gets passed along.

Likewise, thanks for your patience. We're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.