1Password 6 Password Generator

Options

Hi, in 1Password 6.7.451 for Windows 10, I have three issues when I use the Password Generator from the Chrome extension.

1) By default, when I click on the Password Generator icon, it opens the small window, but it does not generate any password until I click on the "Regenerate" button. Before that moment it shows an empty string as password. This is annoying because it did not happen on 1Password 4 nor it happens on osX.

2) There is no "fill" button to fill the newly generated password in the webpage I am viewing, but is just a copy button. This is not an issue, but rather a missing feature.

3) When I click on the above mentioned "Copy" button 1Password automatically saves that generated password in the "Password" section of the shared family vault! Even if I later complete the registration or password update process in the webpage and I tell 1Password to update the login information, that password does not go away! In the other versions of 1Password when I generated a password and then I used it for a login entry, it did not appear both as a password and as a login entry. This is incredibly annoying because it forces me to delete all the passwords I generate individually... Also if a member of my family is fast enough he can basically get to know all my passwords...

I hope you can fix these issues as soon as possible, especially the last one.
Thanks in advance and best regards.

1Password Version: 6.7.451
Extension Version: 4.6.8.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• Hello @random_appleseed! Thanks for taking the time to reach out!

By default, when I click on the Password Generator icon, it opens the small window, but it does not generate any password until I click on the "Regenerate" button. Before that moment it shows an empty string as password.

I'm seeing this on my end as well. We did just mess with the password generator a bit, so this is likely a bug. I'll let the developers know so that they can get it fixed. Thanks for the heads up! :+1:

There is no "fill" button to fill the newly generated password in the webpage I am viewing, but is just a copy button.

This is, indeed, a feature not yet implemented on Windows. It's already on our list and I've added your +1 for this feature. :chuffed:

When I click on the above mentioned "Copy" button 1Password automatically saves that generated password in the "Password" section of the shared family vault!

Both the Windows and Mac apps should save password items when you use the password generator so you can find it just in case you use the password generator to update a password for an account and it somehow doesn't get saved with your login item or your login item isn't updated properly. That said, where these are saved is dictated by the default vault for saving you have selected, so if you have a different vault for saving set on Mac, you may not see these in the Shared vault. If you don't want them saved in your Shared vault, you can switch your vault for saving on Windows to your Personal vault instead. This option is found in Settings (cog wheel) > Options > General. Select Personal from the dropdown menu under Vault for Saving and these password items will be safe from prying eyes.

Of course, if you're not seeing these password items being saved anywhere when you use the password generator on Mac, let me know. I'm a Windows gal, so I'm sometimes a bit behind the times on Mac. :wink:

• random_appleseed
    random_appleseed
    Community Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

Thanks very much for the quick answer. Here is a follow-up on the third point of my original post. Please correct me if I am wrong.

If I remember correctly, on the osX version of 1Password 6 and Windows version of 1Password 4, in the moment when I use a "generated password" to create or update a "login" information, that "generated password" entry gets deleted from the vault, and only in the "login" entry where I used it remains.

This does not happen on 1Password 6 for Windows. In 1Password 6 for Windows, when I use a "generated password" entry for a login in a webpage, then I submit that generated password to the webpage, confirm in the 1Password popup window that I either wanted to update an existing login or create a new login, I later find both the "generated password" entry and the "login" entry (using the generated password) in my 1Password vault.

Shouldn't 1Password delete the "password entry" in the moment when I use it, as it does in 1Password 4 and in 1Password 6 for osX?

Thanks again and best regards.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @random_appleseed,

You are correct, it should be doing that but 1Password 6 for Windows doesn't yet have that implemented. It is definitely coming but no ETA on it.

This discussion has been closed.