Testing in Firefox on Linux [1Password X now available at https://addons.mozilla.org !]

jacksonblend
jacksonblend
Community Member

AgileBits update: 1Password X is now available officially through Mozilla's website:

1Password X – Password Manager

I started testing the extension on Chrome today, and it seems to be working relatively well, but Chrome is not my favorite browser, and I thought I would try it out in Firefox.

Firefox requires extensions to be signed, but I installed the Nightly Firefox version and installed the addon temporarily without signing.

Install seemed to work fine, and after installation, the login procedure to add vaults worked also. One problem is that every time I click the toolbar button, I have to sign in to my 1password account again--but maybe that's a limitation of unsigned extensions?

Is there any interest from the developers for testing Firefox WebExtensions further, and are there plans to add a signed firefox WebExtension version of this Chrome Extension? It seems like it's already likely close to working, and I'd be happy to help test further.

1Password Version: N/A
Extension Version: 0.7.7
OS Version: Ubuntu 17.04
Sync Type: N/A

Comments

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2017

Hey @jacksonblend,

Thanks for taking the time to try new things with the 1Password for Chrome extension. I'm honestly shocked you managed to get as far as you did here which is super awesome. :+1:

Throughout the development of 1Password for Chrome, we are using many generic versions of the Chrome APIs which explains why many features may work in Firefox. However, 1Password for Chrome is being designed specifically for Chrome based browsers (as the name indicates). We can't guarantee anything that works now will continue to do so, nor are we internally testing this extension on Firefox.

It is extremely logical to assume that we will release similar browser extensions for other web browsers, but we don't like to promise any development timelines as they change quite often. At this time, I don't believe we need additional testing on Firefox as we aren't likely to make changes to this particular extension to fix browsers that aren't Chrome based. However, I now know the first person to contact when we do! :)

On a personal note, I highly recommend 1Password users only install signed browser extensions. Using unsigned browser extensions can be harmful to the stability, security, and performance of your web browser. I understand you downloaded this extension from the Chrome Web Store, but I'd be worried the extension could be modified after installing it (without Firefox detecting the change) now that you've allowed it to be installed unsigned.

Thanks for your support and using 1Password! I hope you have a pleasant week.

P.S. Welcome to the 1Password for Chrome beta and our Support Forum!

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• jacksonblend
    jacksonblend
    Community Member

Thanks @beyer
    The WebExtensions API tracks Chrome's extensions API pretty well (see http://arewewebextensionsyet.com/ and https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/WebExtensions for API's implemented), so I should think most of the code will be reusable if (and hopefully when) you decide to add Firefox to the supported browsers, but I wanted to express my willingness to help manually test now, to help get it running on Firefox sooner rather than later. It may well be possible to run both the firefox and Chrome extensions from the same codebase from what I understand, so if you could get started now, you could add the webextension and firefox tests to your CI or automated testing or whatever now to make it easier to release later on.

Of course, I know not to run unsigned extensions in my daily browser (my tests were in a nightly firefox release with a different profile).

Do let me know when you'd like to add Firefox as a target browser, though.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2017

Hey @jacksonblend,

You're absolutely right! Chrome was an obvious starting point for us since so many people are using Chrome OS these days. As I'm sure you know we have a browser extension that communicates directly to our client apps and it supports many browsers. That should be a good hint that Chrome isn't the only browser we dream code about. I've added a note to your email address in my contact list, and you'll be the first person I reach out to when we are ready to talk Firefox more. :)

Thanks for your passion, we are proud to create something that so many people are willing to help make better!

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• damo
    damo
    Community Member

Hey Andrew, can I be a close second on that list of yours for testing a Firefox version? :)

Damien.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@damo: We have an extensive list of Chrome items to work on, so we can't make any guarantees. However, I'll let you know when we have something cool to test! :+1:

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• damo
    damo
    Community Member

Sounds great. Thanks Andrew.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Sure thing – I hope you have a great and productive week! That is my goal at least. ;) :+1:

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• nizmow
    nizmow
    Community Member

Super happy that I'm now able to use 1Password on Linux (I was going to have to switch to another product before I found this Chrome beta) but I'll chime in and say I'm also keen for a Firefox version. I'll keep a close eye on this forum!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know! We're focused on Chrome right now since that will work on a ton of related browsers as well as ChromeOS and Linux, but once we finishing building this we may be able to work on supporting others as well. Cheers! :)

• masons
    masons
    Community Member

I'd like to also add my name to your Firefox on Linux list. I support a team of developers and one of them, our senior developer, has told me that he will not use 1Password unless he can use it in Firefox on his Ubuntu workstation. He also wants a password manager that he can interact with on the command line for things like entering passwords into ssh-agent, sudo, grabbing database passwords for db connection files, etc. I admit that I too would love a CLI 1Password app (for Linux and macos)!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@masons: Thanks for letting us know! I don't think that a CLI app would help since this new extension is specifically designed to be self contained...but perhaps that's a separate product request. We don't currently have plans for Firefox, as we have a lot to do on building this extension and our other products, but it's definitely something we'll keep in mind for the future to see if we can appease your team! ;)

• EricKerby
    EricKerby
    Community Member

Another interested Firefox beta tester here! The combination of Firefox and 1Password across the Linux, Mac, Windows, Android, and iOS devices I use (yes I use them all) is going to be fantastic, time-saving, and the most secure/consistent way to browse the web.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know! We've got our work cut out for us with Chrome right now, but we'll see if we can expand in the future.

The good news is that you can use 1Password now in all of those environments with Firefox using the native apps with the exception of Linux. Definitely give Chrome a try there in the mean time! :)

• rfreebern
    rfreebern
    Community Member

I'm also a Firefox user primarily and the first thing I did after downloading the extension was sign it and install it in Firefox. Like @jacksonblend reported, while it installs fine, clicking the toolbar button directs me to the login page every time, so it's not really functional. No worries; I understand it's not actively supported, but please count this as a vote in favor of a generic WebExtension that works in both Chrome and Firefox in the future.

@masons I hope you've seen https://blog.agilebits.com/2017/09/06/announcing-the-1password-command-line-tool-public-beta/ by now.

• masons
    masons
    Community Member

@rfreebern, no I hadn't seen the cli announcement yet. Thank you very much for bringing that to my attention!

• popenke
    popenke
    Community Member

Put me on that list too! I'm a user of Firefox Nightly and would be glad to test 1Password on it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rfreebern: Sure! Thanks! And I appreciate including the link. I wasn't able to do so earlier for obvious reasons. ;)

@popenke: Thanks for letting us know. I think we have our hands full now with ChromeOS and Linux, but it's absolutely something we'll keep in mind for the future. Cheers! :)

• ray_zeng
    ray_zeng
    Community Member

I'd be interested in testing 1Password on Firefox in the future.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know! If and when we go that route, I'm sure we'll be happy for the participation. :)

• nberman
    nberman
    Community Member

If you ever port the Chrome extension to a web-extensions based Firefox alternative, I'd like to know too!

Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• reyman
    reyman
    Community Member

Same here, i'm an heavy user of firefox on linux and if you need some beta tester, i'm ready :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Good to know. :)

• Zod
    Zod
    Community Member

I'm interested as well in a port for Firefox on Linux (which in my opinion, at least on Linux, works better than Chrome, especially after version 57). Anyway I'm really liking this new browser extension that directly communicates with client without any helper or app installed. This is definitely the way 1Password should go, easy to use while being nice looking, something that other password managements solutions definitely don't. Keep up the good work 1Password, my number 1 choice!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know, and for the kind words! :)

• mannp
    mannp
    Community Member

Not wanting to detract from the great work on Chrome and at least some Linux support :) but I'd also love a Firefox plugin too (I trust M more than G)

Perhaps keeping the Chrome plugin from using any google unique api's would help a Firefox plugin come to fruition eventually :+1:

• magnustuominen
    magnustuominen
    Community Member

+1 for firefox

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for your interest in Firefox @mannp & @magnustuominen, we will be sure to brag about Firefox support when we actually have something tangible to brag about. :pirate:

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• jurriaan
    jurriaan
    Community Member

Same here, +1 for Firefox! I'm currently using Chromium instead of Firefox because I cannot use 1Password in Firefox.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad to hear you're enjoying 1Password in Chromium then. Thanks for the feedback! :)

This discussion has been closed.