Adding a Mac license to my Windows License?

Brad_I
Brad_I
Community Member
edited July 2017 in Mac

Hello, I purchased 1password standalone for Windows. It is version 4 I believe. I would like to also use it on my Mac. I do not see an option to add a Mac license to my account without rebuying it at full price. I have read in other threads a license discount should be available. Can you please tell me how to access the discount?

1Password Version: 4.6.1.62
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.12.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Brad_I! I'd be happy to help out. To use 1Password on your Mac, just create a 1Password account. They paid with a subscription, and include automatic sync between your devices, access to 1Password anywhere, and an account to access everything. You can create one and move your existing data to it, then sign in on your Mac to get started there:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

You'll get 30 days free when you sign up as well. :) Let us know how things go!

• Brad_I
    Brad_I
    Community Member

Unfortunately, my company will be blocking cloud based password utilities in the coming weeks. Is using on Windows and Mac no longer a possibility?

• @Brad_I I'm sorry to hear that. It'd be worth chatting with them about whitelisting 1Password so you can use it at work, especially if it's a tool that helps make work more seamless. :) You could use 1Password on Mac without an account, but you'd need to purchase a new license for it and sync your data between your computers with Dropbox or iCloud, which are still cloud-based. Hope this helps!

• Brad_I
    Brad_I
    Community Member

Yeah, I get you. They are distributing licenses for LasPass which is cloud based and contradictory to the policy. Personally, I think I like 1PW better - as I haven't messed much with LastPass. But $65 just seems high to add on an additional instance to be used by one person.

I reckon I need to stop fighting the system and make the switch.

• Understandable. Glad to hear that even if ultimately 1Password isn't going to work out that at least you'll have access to a password manager. It may be worth mentioning our 1Password Teams service to the folks at work to see if they might reconsider.

Teams - 1Password

Also, just to add, if you prefer the pricing model that a 1Password subscription offers, but want to use standalone vaults, that is also possible. We just recently announced that we'd be bringing standalone vaults to 1Password 7 for Windows, so that may be a workable solution for you. If you were to sign up for an individual membership you'd continue to use 1Password 4 for Windows for now, but would get the upgrade to 1Password 7 for Windows included with your subscription. You'd also get 1Password 6 for Mac now and could sync it with 1Password 4 for Windows.

Maybe that would help?

Ben

This discussion has been closed.