To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Trouble signing into account with 1Password 6 for Windows

Options

Comments

• toddphi
    toddphi
    Community Member
    Options

I think Agile has an obvious flaw in the download section of your website. If you go to:https://1password.com/downloads/ you see a big blue button for "Download". If you're a long-time license buyer like me (and I too wasn't even aware that Agile was trying to sell a new subscription service) you naturally just hit "Download" and assume you're getting the latest version of the license version.

That's not what happens. Instead, you're prompted to input a "Sign-in Address" and a "Secret Key" -- neither of which you have if you're a license owner. Very confusing!! Furthermore, it prompts you for a "Master Password". I wasted about an hour trying to get my old master password for my vault (from the license version) to work until I finally realized that they are DIFFERENT. It is NOT the password to your value from the license version even though one would naturally assume they're the same.

Agile team, I like 1Password and have been using it for years, but this is a sloppily-designed and incredibly confusing process! I've really started to think I should switch to something else.

What's must aggravating is that you could solve most of this confusion by simply redesigning the download page so as not to steer everyone to click on the Download button taking you to the wrong version! Most users don't know or care about version numbers! Most users won't bother to see (in small grey print) below the huge Download button. You should make them equally prominent.

So once I figured out that there are two versions, I went ahead and signed up for the subscription since I like that model (regular updates, etc.). I now have a Sign-in address, secret key, and have created a NEW master password. You know what? I still can't login or install the software!!! The supplied credentials don't work, even though I've copied and pasted them from the Emergency Kit.

• Frank
    Options

Hi @toddphi - I apologize for the confusion and thank you for reaching out to us. The version of 1Password via our downloads page is the same version if you're using a standalone license or a 1Password.com subscription account. If you're rocking a standalone license, from the welcome screen, under "Already using 1Password" just select the same sync source you were previously using - iCloud or Dropbox. The sign in address, and secret key pertain to our subscription accounts. Sorry for the confusion and I appreciate the feedback you sent over. Keep me posted if you have any additional questions and again sorry for the troubles.

• toddphi
    toddphi
    Community Member
    Options

Well I still can't log in. I provided all of the information in the "Sign in to 1Password Account" but I get a message that says "Unable to sign in, please check details provided and your network connection." (my network connection is working fine).

What do you suggest I do? All the information was copied and pasted from the Emergency Kit.

Thanks for your response. But if "the version of 1Password via our downloads page is the same version if you're using a standalone license or a 1Password.com account" why are there two different links? Shouldn't you need only one download link?

Also you write "from the welcome screen..." What welcome screen? When I run 1Password 4.6.1.620 I don't see a "welcome screen". I CAN'T run version 6 because it rejects my login credentials. So I have no idea what to do. What you are describing doesn't match what I'm experiencing.

• toddphi
    toddphi
    Community Member
    Options

Is it possible to talk to someone on the phone? I'm going on about 3 hours of time wasted just to sign in.

• toddphi
    toddphi
    Community Member
    Options

Also I seen an option on the login page (1Password 6 Windows) to "Scan for 1Password Account Code". You can choose "From Clipboard" or "From Image File". But the Emergency Kit is PDF document and copying the Setup Code to the clipboard is NOT enabled. So it is impossible to get it into the clipboard. Similarly I can't save the Setup Code to an image file either. So this option is useless.

• toddphi
    toddphi
    Community Member
    Options

Can someone please help me? Strangely, the 1Password login page suddenly decided to accept my credentials on my desktop PC. So I am now running 1Password 6 there. But if I copy-paste the exact same login credentials on my laptop they do not work.

• Frank
    Options

Hi @toddphi - Sorry for any confusion based on my previously reply. I appreciate the additional details and now we're on the same page. 1Password 6 for Windows is only compatible with a subscription account and does not support local vaults syncing with Dropbox at the moment. You can add your Dropbox vault to the account but in order to edit anything, you have to move the data over to your Personal/Private vault. You're 100% correct, there are two download links for 1Password for Windows. One for 1Password 6 and another for 1Password 4 which is compatible with a standalone license. Again sorry for the confusion there and I should have asked instead of assuming you were rocking 1Password on a Mac. Can you provide me with a little more detail on your configuration? What version of Windows are you running and what browser you're currently using? I would like to look into this a bit more and try to test this on my end.

• toddphi
    toddphi
    Community Member
    Options

I'm running Windows 10 on both my laptop and my desktop PC (latest version). Both machines just downloaded 1Password from your website. I'm using Chrome (also latest version).

So I WAS able to log in as I explained. But I decided to change my master password at the website, which I did successfully. I can log in to the 1Password app on the laptop using the new password, but I CANNOT login to the desktop PC using the same password.

This is so confusing. I'm now on hour FOUR of trying to get this new setup to work right.

Question: How did 1Password find all my passwords and logins that I was using in 1Password 4 and syncing via Dropbox? Where is my confidential info (passwords, etc.) actually being stored? On your servers? I need to know this. I am confident by Keychain was secure on Dropbox, but I can't have confidence in my security unless I know where the data is. The old app used to make this very easy to understand.

And I still cannot login to the 1Password 6 app on my desktop machine using the new password (which IS accepted when I login from my laptop). I've tried it about 10 times so I'm confident I'm not mistyping it.

Please help

• Hey there, @toddphi! My name is Kate and I'm one of our resident Windows users hoping I can hop in and help you out here. The Windows app is a bit weird with Master Password changes and, in fact, I just pushed an update to our support docs to explain this a bit better today. In 1Password 6 for Windows, Master Password changes don't sync immediately and require some extra steps to update the local Master Password to match the one you've set on 1Password.com. Since you've done a lot of fussing with your Windows app, it may be "out-of-sync" with 1Password.com. Rather than wasting time tracking down what Master Password your app is using, what I'd like you to do is go ahead and start over with 1Password 6 (not 1Password 4). This article has some alarming disclaimers about data -- this only will only delete local 1Password 6 data. It will have no effect on 1Password 4, your data still on Dropbox or any data already migrated to your account. All of that is perfectly safe. This will let us start off with a "clean slate" so to speak and ensure we're only adding your 1Password account to 1Password 6 and that your app won't have a local Master Password saved yet. From there, we can import your existing data from 1Password 4.

Once you've followed the steps in the start over article, give logging in another try. You actually can "scan" your Setup Code from your PDF Emergency Kit. I personally used Acrobat Reader to do this, so if you have a different PDF reader, these instructions may not be perfect. Make sure you have the cursor tool selected. When you hover over your Setup Code, you should see your cursor arrow change to a crosshair. Left click when you see your cursor change to highlight the Setup Code, then right-click and select Copy. You can then choose the From Clipboard option in 1Password to fill your sign-in details. Enter your Master Password, try to sign in and let me know if it works. If so, we can talk about migrating your data. :)

• toddphi
    toddphi
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Kate. Its actually working now. Several hours ago I decided to uninstall 1Password6 and try again on my Desktop PC. It works now. But you should know there are huge flaws in your upgrade process. To name a few:

1) Many users will not be aware that 1Password is now offered as a subscription (I didn't). So if you're wanting to reinstall 1Password (under a license) or install on a new PC, you can easily download 1Password6 by mistake. That takes you down a rabbit hole that is guaranteed to waste many hours of your customers' time. You should pop up some information right on the Downloads page to explain the difference. I had no idea I was running version 4.x (rather than 6) and most users don't think about version numbers. And by the way, I have Macs too and the Mac version number is version 6.x, so why wouldn't one assume the Windows version is also version 6.x?

2) As you explained, the master password reset doesn't sync up right away. So for me that means that I had one PC that worked and another PC that did not even though I was using the same login credentials. Why don't you make things sync immediately. This bug alone cost me an additional hour trying to troubleshoot the problem, uninstalling and reinstalling 1Password6.

3) It is still a mystery to me where my data is being stored. I understand it isn't on Dropbox anymore, but it is not clear where it is, or why I should have confidence it is secure. I trust Dropbox, but how do I know it is secure if you don't tell me where it is? (I asked this question in a previous message and it was ignored.)

4) Somehow my password entries all came in automatically although at no point did I specify that my data was on Dropbox. As a result, every single entry was duplicated because I had the Dropbox keychain plus the same items from 1Password6. I eventually figured out that I can delete the Dropbox account, but again it was a waste of time. I'm further confused by the fact that you provide instructions on how to IMPORT your Dropbox keychain entries. I didn't have to do that. Why? Why do you provide instructions to import if it does it automatically.

5) The login dialog box for 1Password 6 provides absolutely NO information about what to do if your password is rejected, which mine was. There is no "lost your password?" link or any instructions about what to do. The response when I typed in the password does not differentiate between an incorrect password and any other problem. You could, for example, advise the user to wait a while after you've changed your master password until the sync happens. Again, because there is no info I spent more time trying to contact Agile Support and reinstalling the software. That may not have even been necessary had the login dialog contained some useful info about what to do when your password is rejected.

I could go on, but I think you get the point. Hopefully somebody there will actually put themselves in the shoes of a CUSTOMER and see how THEY experience the process of converting from 1Password4 to 1Password6. It's really awful, and you guys should be embarrassed. My impression Agile has taken a huge hit.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

1) Many users will not be aware that 1Password is now offered as a subscription (I didn't). So if you're wanting to reinstall 1Password (under a license) or install on a new PC, you can easily download 1Password6 by mistake. That takes you down a rabbit hole that is guaranteed to waste many hours of your customers' time. You should pop up some information right on the Downloads page to explain the difference. I had no idea I was running version 4.x (rather than 6) and most users don't think about version numbers. And by the way, I have Macs too and the Mac version number is version 6.x, so why wouldn't one assume the Windows version is also version 6.x?

@toddphi: That's a really good point! Indeed, that's a big part of why we've introduced 1Password.com memberships: this way you don't have to worry about which version you purchased, as you're entitled to use all of them. So while we include a link to download the appropriate version in your license email if you've purchased the standalone app, it will be even easier for you going forward because you won't have to look for you license either! ;)

2) As you explained, the master password reset doesn't sync up right away. So for me that means that I had one PC that worked and another PC that did not even though I was using the same login credentials. Why don't you make things sync immediately. This bug alone cost me an additional hour trying to troubleshoot the problem, uninstalling and reinstalling 1Password6.

Since 1Password doesn't store your Master Password, it cannot be sync'd. We'll continue to improve things to make the experience more seamless, but as you've seen we're always here to
    help if you need it. :)

3) It is still a mystery to me where my data is being stored. I understand it isn't on Dropbox anymore, but it is not clear where it is, or why I should have confidence it is secure. I trust Dropbox, but how do I know it is secure if you don't tell me where it is? (I asked this question in a previous message and it was ignored.)

Happy to clear up that "mystery"! We just wanted to help you get things sorted out first before moving onto an entirely new (and deep) topic. The short version is that when you use 1Password.com, your encrypted data is stored on the server so that you can access it on all of your devices just by signing in. When you enter information into 1Password, your data is encrypted on your device, so all the server ever ends up with is an encrypted blob. And since Your Secret Key is created locally as well, your Master Password is only known by you, and neither is ever transmitted, no one — including AgileBits — has the means to decrypt the data. You can read more details on how all of this works in our white paper, and don't hesitate to ask any other questions you may have! :sunglasses:

4) Somehow my password entries all came in automatically although at no point did I specify that my data was on Dropbox. As a result, every single entry was duplicated because I had the Dropbox keychain plus the same items from 1Password6. I eventually figured out that I can delete the Dropbox account, but again it was a waste of time. I'm further confused by the fact that you provide instructions on how to IMPORT your Dropbox keychain entries. I didn't have to do that. Why? Why do you provide instructions to import if it does it automatically.

It sounds like you just have both your Dropbox vault and a vault in your 1Password.com account to which you'd already copied the data. So viewing "All Vaults" will show the contents for both. 1Password does not do this automatically, but if you'd already imported that data on another device, it's already in your account and will be available on any other devices you sign in on. Which vaults do you see listed in 1Password on your PC?

5) The login dialog box for 1Password 6 provides absolutely NO information about what to do if your password is rejected, which mine was. There is no "lost your password?" link or any instructions about what to do. The response when I typed in the password does not differentiate between an incorrect password and any other problem. You could, for example, advise the user to wait a while after you've changed your master password until the sync happens. Again, because there is no info I spent more time trying to contact Agile Support and reinstalling the software. That may not have even been necessary had the login dialog contained some useful info about what to do when your password is rejected.

There is no "lost your password?" option because we can't solve that problem for you. AgileBits simply never has your Master Password and cannot reset or recover it for you. Recovery can only be done by an admin who is part of your 1Password Families or Teams account (if you belong to one). I'm glad you were able to get in touch and get a response quickly when you needed it.

I could go on, but I think you get the point. Hopefully somebody there will actually put themselves in the shoes of a CUSTOMER and see how THEY experience the process of converting from 1Password4 to 1Password6. It's really awful, and you guys should be embarrassed. My impression Agile has taken a huge hit.

I'm sorry you feel that way. We'll keep working to make things easier, both for folks who get stuck and to prevent that from happening wherever possible. But most importantly we're always here to help in any way we can.

• Hey @toddphi -- I'll try to address your points in kind and welcome any follow-up you may have.

1) We are actually no longer selling 1Password 4 licenses so all new Windows users will be on the subscription, which is why there's not something more informative on the download page -- newer folks would have no idea what we meant by "license," having only ever known about the subscription which we fear also may cause confusion if they think subscription == license. That said, I do understand where your confusion arises. This is something we'll have ponder so that we can balance clarity for both older users and new on the Windows side of things. The end of 1Password 4 for new users is a recent development (March of this year), so we're still somewhat within the transition period with some work to do to locate these confusion sources and make alterations as needed. While I'm sorry this ended up sending you down a rabbit hole, I do appreciate the feedback -- this sort of stuff really helps us make sure we're doing what we can to close off those rabbit holes. They are a bit easier to overlook when you live and breathe 1Password every day. We do need to remind ourselves that what seems obvious to us is not always obvious to our users.

2) This is something we're working with our Windows developers on. While it's not a "bug" per se, we do not like the way that Master Password changes work on Windows (though it is an improvement over prior implementations). What you'll need to do in the future is enter your old Master Password after you change your Master Password on 1Password.com. You'll get an authentication error prompting you to sign in again with your new Master Password. From then on, 1Password 6 will unlock using your new Master Password, but I know that process isn't intuitive and there's nothing to indicate this unless you visit our support site. Whether we adjust the sign-in error or rework the process completely, we do want to change this and we're already talking about the best way to do so. For now, all I can do is apologize and assure you we're aware of this and working towards a better experience.

3) You can blame me for this one -- I saw the question, but overlooked that it wasn't answered previously. Your data is stored on our servers which are hosted by Amazon Web Services and encrypted twice using both your Master Password and your Secret Key. Dropbox uses a combination of Amazon Web Services and Amazon's S3 servers, so your data may not have moved very far. We know security is paramount to our users, so we do all we can to be as transparent as possible about our security practices. You can read about the basics here. If you're feeling extremely adventurous, you can also check out our more detailed Security Design White Paper. We're honored that so many customers trust us with their data and we want to make sure y'all know we work hard to be worthy of that trust by putting all of our cards on the table.

4) My guess would be that you signed in with your 1Password account on a Mac during this process. If you signed in on a Mac, 1Password would automatically import local vaults (because they're already available in your Mac app). You'll notice the Mac instructions do not include importing. Once your items from Dropbox are in your account, they'll automatically sync to any other devices you sign in with (such as your PCs) -- no need to import twice. So your Windows app did not find your logins from 1Password 4, it found them on our servers which got them from your Mac. If you had only signed in to 1Password 6 for Windows and not on any other devices, you would have needed to import your logins before you'd see them in your account vault. Of course, if you sign in on a Mac after importing on PC, this automatic import won't happen because 1Password will see that you have items in your account vault already and duplicates are gross.

5) Listing all possible issues when your login credentials are rejected would be a tough one -- there are quite a few different steps that might be relevant to resolving the problem and it would be quite a mouthful (dialogue-box-ful?) to list them all. That said, I agree that we could include some links to support articles that may be of help at the very least. I'll have a chat with our Windows developers to see what helpful hints we may be able to include -- I'd like to see that too.

Whew! That was a mouthful (forum-box-ful?) too. Hopefully not more than you bargained for. I really do want to thank you for your feedback. Streamlining the on-boarding experience is both really important and really tough. It's different depending on where you're starting from and can go wrong quick if you're looking at the wrong road map (or don't know where you're starting from to begin with). One thing we really want to improve on the documentation side of things is helping folks get to the articles they need out of the gate. Oftentimes, the documents are there and work when the right user is looking at the right one, but that doesn't do you (or us) any good if you're not getting matched up with the support article that's right for your situation. Of course, we're always happy to direct traffic, but for many that's not ideal and you can certainly make some wrong turns before reaching out to us. Most of us were customers before we started working for AgileBits, but it's easy to forget what that was like and it's good for us to get feedback like yours to remind us that things have changed since we started using 1Password and that we still have improvements to work towards.

If you have any further feedback or suggestions to make this process smoother for folks who don't reach out to us for help right away, I'd love to hear it. And, of course, if you have any follow-up questions, do let me know. Since you're now up and running, I'm about to head out for the day, but I'll definitely check back tomorrow morning and would be happy to further address any concerns or questions. :)

• toddphi
    toddphi
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the thoughtful responses. A couple of final points:

1) Regarding item 4) above ("My guess would be that you signed in with your 1Password account on a Mac during this process."), I absolutely, positively did NOT sign in to our Mac during the process. It is at the other end of the house and I didn't even log in today because I was reluctant to potentially mess up the Mac by attempting to upgrade 1Password there too.

2) Regarding your point that the master password does not sync, what you're saying is in direct contradiction to what Kate wrote above, which I quote:

"In 1Password 6 for Windows, Master Password changes don't sync immediately and require some extra steps to update the local Master Password to match the one you've set on 1Password.com. Since you've done a lot of fussing with your Windows app, it may be "out-of-sync" with 1Password.com."

If you use the website to change your master password, doesn't that mean -- logically -- that the master password is kept on the server???

3) Regarding item 2) above (that you have to input your old password and THEN the new password), that's very, very counterintuitive. If I change the password on your website, users will expect that the next time they log in to the App they should use the new password. It is so illogical to do it that way that it didn't even occur to me to try the old password. But after Kate mentioned that "changes don't sync immediately" I tried the old password and that worked. Then, while logged in, I got a message saying I had to input my password again. I put the new password in which, of course, worked.

Again I appreciate the responses, but you guys aren't even agreeing with each other on fundamental points.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@toddphi: Sorry if I caused any added confusion. I'll try to clarify:

1) Regarding item 4) above ("My guess would be that you signed in with your 1Password account on a Mac during this process."), I absolutely, positively did NOT sign in to our Mac during the process. It is at the other end of the house and I didn't even log in today because I was reluctant to potentially mess up the Mac by attempting to upgrade 1Password there too.

It was just a thought. As you can imagine, the best I can do is speculate without more information. But we'll certainly be happy to help if you're still having trouble with that. The best thing to do will be to generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports

Please send it to support+forums@agilebits.com with a link to this discussion and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots', and post your Support ID here so we can confirm that we've received it.

2) Regarding your point that the master password does not sync, what you're saying is in direct contradiction to what Kate wrote above, which I quote:
    "In 1Password 6 for Windows, Master Password changes don't sync immediately and require some extra steps to update the local Master Password to match the one you've set on 1Password.com. Since you've done a lot of fussing with your Windows app, it may be "out-of-sync" with 1Password.com."
    If you use the website to change your master password, doesn't that mean -- logically -- that the master password is kept on the server???

I can see why you might think that, but it just doesn't work that way. Not only is your Master Password not stored, it is never transmitted. But it's my fault for being too technical (and therefore confusing). Kate was referring specifically to the Windows version and she didn't say that the Master Password syncs; rather, the data syncs. You can read more details of how this works in this excellent blog post, but the last bit of this simply isn't implemented in the new Windows app yet...which is why you ran into this issue in the first place. I'll be happy to go into more detail and answer any questions you have, and again, this is something we'll be improving to make it more user-friendly in the future.

3) Regarding item 2) above (that you have to input your old password and THEN the new password), that's very, very counterintuitive. If I change the password on your website, users will expect that the next time they log in to the App they should use the new password. It is so illogical to do it that way that it didn't even occur to me to try the old password. But after Kate mentioned that "changes don't sync immediately" I tried the old password and that worked. Then, while logged in, I got a message saying I had to input my password again. I put the new password in which, of course, worked.

Great! I'm glad that Kate was able to point you in the right direction. Sorry if I got you turned around there. There's definitely room for improvement there, but that's what I was talking about earlier: 1Password doesn't sync your actual Master Password, only the data (which can be decrypted using it).

Again I appreciate the responses, but you guys aren't even agreeing with each other on fundamental points.

That's my fault. I think Kate's answer is an easier way to understand things, which is best in most cases; but it seems clear to me that you're really interested in the details, and that's awesome. :)

• toddphi
    toddphi
    Community Member
    Options

"Not only is your Master Password not stored, it is never transmitted." Since you change your master password on the 1Password.com website, how could it be that the master password is not transmitted???

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@toddphi: Definitely check out the blog post I linked earlier, as it breaks it down...and frankly it's pretty well written so it's more interesting than I make it sound. ;)

How 1Password syncs changes to your Master Password

Essentially it comes down to math. Your Master Password is being used as an input to transform the data, so at the other end (after it's sync'd), it can then be used again to reverse this transformation. The "old" Master Password will need to be used to unlock so that 1Password can get the changes, but thereafter the new Master Password can work with updated data.

Where the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app is limited currently is that it uses the Master Password for the first vault/account you add there for its local database container (which includes all of the vaults/accounts you use in it), and it isn't yet able to update this local container's Master Password based on remote changes that sync. It's something we'll be adding in an update to remove the extra step, but for now changing the Master Password in the Windows app to match the account you're using works. I hope this helps! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@toddphi: Ah, but I realize that I didn't quite cover the "never transmitted" part. And while my explanation above covers syncing and unlocking the app, you're right that this is counterintuitive and not completely applicable to the 1Password.com website.

It still works the same way behind the scenes with regard to encrypting and decrypting with the Master Password (and Secret Key, for 1Password.com accounts) after the data syncs, but what about when you're entering your Master Password into the sign in form on 1Password.com in your browser? I'm glad you asked. 1Password.com uses the Secure Remote Password (SRP) protocol, so that when you enter your Master Password in the browser on your device, this isn't sent. Instead, the web app (which runs locally in the browser on your device) negotiates the exchange of mathematically derived keys that each side (your device and our server) can prove to the other that they know a secret without actually divulging it (1Password.com security white paper, p.59) — in this case, you're essentially sending a token which can only be computed from your Master Password, so that the server knows you know it, but that cannot be reversed for the server to discover your actual Master Password, and therefore it also doesn't need to be transmitted, sort of the way one-way hashing works.

This definitely gets "into the weeds" a bit, and we go to great lengths to not expose this complexity to the user. But it's really great that you're interested in how your data is secured...and frankly I don't mind getting a chance to talk about it, because I think it's pretty cool. Cheers! :)

• toddphi
    toddphi
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the explanation.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Any time! Sorry for not being more complete initially, but you can probably imagine that not everyone wants all of this information dumped on them at once. Anyway, we're here if you need anything. :chuffed:

• toddphi
    toddphi
    Community Member
    Options

Ok. So my 1Password account is finally working on my Windows PC and Windows Laptop and iPhone. Now I'm trying to get it working on my Mac. I've installed the latest (version 6.7.1), but it appears that the Mac version is just the older license version of the software, which is still keeping its keychain on Dropbox. The "look and feel" on the Mac is still totally different from Windows (one of my long-time gripes about 1Password, which I was hoping would be fixed by upgrading to a 1Password account). How do I configure the Mac version so it stays in sync with my windows machines? Why does it still look totally different on Windows vs Mac? As of now, changes to logins/passwords on one platform do not get synced to the other. Is Mac not supported under 1Password accounts (the subscription version)? I've searched your on-line support but don't see this question answered anywhere. Very confusing.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@toddphi: Just sign in to your 1Password.com account so you can access the data on your other devices; and then, if you're certain you already have all of your data in your 1Password.com account (you can verify this in your browser), you can remove the Dropbox vault and disable local vaults (Preferences > Advanced) to avoid any confusion. Let me know if you need help using any of the apps. And be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Nostradumas
    Nostradumas
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry to reopen the scab on this one, but my experience is almost exactly the same as toodphi's.

I've been a 1Password user since 2011, and I thought I knew this program inside and out. Never mind that the UI on Windows v4 looks like a completely different product than the Mac [I use both]. In spite of that, it's always worked, which is what I care about most.

I was confused that 1Password 6 for Windows is a completely different animal than the Mac version and no longer supports locally stored vaults. The bottom line is that you guys should have named it something else. Whatever — that's another issue for another day — on to my point.

I have a Windows user here at work that previously used Windows 1Password 4 and now wants to upgrade to 1Password 6. She has made an account on 1Password.com, and can sign into 1Password.com using Chrome, but the 1Password app will not authenticate with the credentials from the setup QR code and the master password. After spinning its wheels for about 30 seconds, I get the "Unable to sign in, please check details provided and your network connection."

Ambiguously worded error message aside, the computer has internet access, so it isn't a network issue. Since the user can log into 1Password.com using the sign-in address, email address, secret key, and master password, it isn't a credentials issue.

What is going on here?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. Honestly, I agree with you. Calling it something different might be helpful in a way. But at the same time, calling it something other than "1Password [version number]" would be equally confusing, just to different people. I'm sorry that it has to be confusing for anyone, but we're making good progress toward a future where none of this confusion exists, and our new Windows app is just 1Password on another platform.

Regarding the error, for security, these do often need to be vague. Telling someone that the email address, sign in URL, Secret Key, or Master Password especially is incorrect gives an attacker information they could use to narrow the scope of their attack.

However, in this case, it does sound like a network or security certificate issue locally, since it works in the browser. If it's working in the browser (and if anything will load there), it's likely that the user and/or admin has made an exception for it with "security" software, or configured firewall or proxy to allow that to work, but not the 1Password app itself. All 1Password knows in these cases is that it is not able to sign in, and there can be a lot of causes.

The best thing to do would be for them to contact us directly from their registered 1Password.com email address and include a diagnostics report so we can investigate:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

They can send it to support@agilebits.com and if you let me know the Support ID (included in the BitBot autoresponse) here when it's been sent, I can find it right away to take a look.

And in case it helps you or anyone else, we've recently made an accountant on our blog regarding 1Password for Windows:

AgileBits Blog | 1Password 6.7 for Windows: a feature buffet

TL;DR: 1Password for Windows version 7 will have full support for local vaults. I can't say when it will be available. We're not talking short term here because that's a big undertaking in and of itself, and that isn't going to be the only thing we add in the next major release. Nothing more than that to say at this early stage, but I thought that some folks might be interested to know that.

This discussion has been closed.