Keep getting DNS address could not be found from strawberryperl.com [RESOLVED]

Vicw
Vicw
Community Member
edited August 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I'm trying to download and install from http://strawberryperl.com, per the 1Password instructions, but always get a "strawberryperl.com’s server DNS address could not be found." response. I've tried multiple PC's, Chrome and Firefox browsers, and mobile devices via my ISP and to cellular, but it always fails.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 v1607
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:strawberryperl

Comments

• Hi @Vicw,

Thanks for writing in. I can't access the site either, so it is not you, it is their servers.

What tool are you trying to import from?

• Vicw
    Vicw
    Community Member

Thanks @MikeT

I'm trying to download the 64bit Portable Edition, hoping to be able to import my SafeInCloud data. I've been 100% happy with SafeInCloud, but I am increasingly concerned about the Moscow source of that app, from a security standpoint. I've been searching for a while to find a replacement that will match its features, and 1 Password looks promising so far. I don't like the subscription cost, but it's important enough to me to eat that ongoing expense.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hello @Vicw,

Could you please try to download 1Password utilities and use these instructions on our website to move your data from SafeInCloud to 1Password? Please let us know how it goes.

Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• Vicw
    Vicw
    Community Member

Hi @Greg

If I'm reading the instructions correctly, in order to move my data, I will need to first download the Perl interpreter from strawberryperl.com.

"On Windows, a Perl interpreter is required, and you will need the free Strawberry Perl. Download the latest portable version of Strawberry Perl, selecting the appropriate 32-bit or 64-bit version."

Since yesterday, I am still not able to connect to strawberryperl.com, so I'm stuck, I think. If I really don't need it, I welcome your guidance.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Vicw: Yeah, it looks like that website is just down. I can't connect to it here either, and I'm seeing reports for the last day or so on Twitter that others are seeing the same thing. It may be transitory though, so I'll keep checking.

@MrC: Is there an alternative trusted source for Strawberry Perl?

• Vicw
    Vicw
    Community Member

As an alternative, could I install 1Password 4, which is reportedly able to import directly from CSV files, then update/import the 1Password 4 data into 1Password 6?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Vicw: It's possible, though it is much more work that using the converter. 1Password 4 can read CSV, but since it has no way of knowing how the data is formatted it requires you to tell it what goes where. If you have a lot of items this could be pretty tedious. MrC wrote the converter himself, so I think it may be best to see what he has to say. There may be another source for Strawberry Perl that he's aware of (I wasn't able to find any that looked trustworthy in my own searching earlier).

• Vicw
    Vicw
    Community Member

Thanks @Brenty I totally agree with your suggestion. Since I posted last, I dug in a bit on the CSV instructions, and the Windows version looks to be very limited. With over 700 entries in my file, it would be more work than it's worth reorganizing and/or re-entering everything.

I'll chill a while to see if strawberryperl.com or a trustworthy alternative becomes available. I appreciate your help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @Brenty I totally agree with your suggestion. Since I posted last, I dug in a bit on the CSV instructions, and the Windows version looks to be very limited. With over 700 entries in my file, it would be more work than it's worth reorganizing and/or re-entering everything.

Yeah, I would be in a similar boat with my own boatload of data. Not fun.

I'll chill a while to see if strawberryperl.com or a trustworthy alternative becomes available. I appreciate your help.

Sure thing. I'm sorry I don't have a good suggestion for you right now, but I'll keep a lookout too and let you know if I find something.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@Vicw,

It appears the Strawberry Perl site is having DNS issues at the moment.

I've placed a copy of the 64-bit portable Strawberry Perl in my Other Tools folder. You can use this for now (and later compare it to the posted version if you have concerns).

Please see the last note in the first post of the converter suite about not using version 5.26.

• Vicw
    Vicw
    Community Member
    edited August 2017

Thanks much @MrC

I was able to download and install Perl. Most of the work progressed as expected, except that I had a devil of a time getting the Perl commands set up for the proper directory. I was finally able to get it right, and the records Imported into 1Password 6.

The records are probably all there, but categorization and content is going to take quite a bit of editing to correct. Most of the entries show the password twice, and the web addresses and UserIDs are mostly inside of Notes, instead of their normal fields. That will be OK for my testing, but if I decide to use 1Password permanently, I may make another pass at the whole process to see if I can get a cleaner dataset.

I really appreciate that you took the time to share the utility with me.

• Hi @Vicw,

That may be a bug in 1Password 6, would it be possible to get in touch with you about that, so we can see what happened?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited August 2017

@Vicw,

You're welcome.

The README.pdf should walk you through the setup process exactly. Sometimes users vary some part of the instructions, and end up having troubles. Because it is too difficult (or impossible) to explain how to do things, its easier to describe exactly what to do.

Which version of SafeInCloud are you using?

The converter would not be creating duplicate password entries; this might be a 1Password for Windows issue.

The problem with SafeInCloud's export is that entries do not have categories/types. The only way to distinguish one from another is 1) by the name of the exported fields (and then heuristics have to be applied, since many entries have the same field name), and 2) by testing the icon's name. Depending upon which fields have values, the categories of login, email, membership and webacct can be indistinguishable. Similarly, insurance and membership. And if you've changed the field names, the converter will need to be customized to match your changes.

That said, there are things I can do for you, to bias the conversion to better detect your particular conversion. Please let me know what categories / fields are having troubles.

• Vicw
    Vicw
    Community Member

Sure. Is there a feature for private messaging? If you have visibility as a moderator to my email address, feel free to contact me. The records are quite a mess. It will be a while before I have all of the issues separated out. Oddly, the credit card entries seem to be pristine. I did notice during the module adding process that it looked like the script was trying to reach strawberryperl.com and failed in that attempt, and gave up with that and proceeded without it, but it all scrolled by so fast that I wasn't sure, and I couldn't find it again.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited August 2017

@Vicw,

My email address is at the top of the convert_to_1p4.pl script. Feel free to email, I take most issues like this offline so as not to cause too much thread pollution. Please don't send any confidential information.

The converter looks for key field names as the way to detect a category. The creditcard category has three of these key fields. Some categories cannot have any fields marked to establish the category, because their field names are ambiguous; these categories are matched based on a certain priority. What I have done for a few converters is to implement a field weighting system; I could do this here too.

The module installation process should not be looking for strawberryperl.com - it uses another site called CPAN. I tested this before I posted my reply above indicating the availability of the zip file in my Other Tools folder.

• Hi @Vicw,

Let's MrC take a look first to rule out everything else and he'll let us know with more details about what he found, so we can fix it.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited August 2017

Just to follow-up - the Strawberry Perl site http://strawberryperl.com/ is back up again. DNS issues resolved.

@Vicw and I are working offline to customize the converter for better categorization.

• Vicw
    Vicw
    Community Member

I am very grateful to @MrC for his support, first providing an alternate copy of Strawberry Perl, and also in customizing the import utility for Safe In Cloud to meet my unique requirements.

I now have a working app and my own properly formatted and labelled imported data that I can use to test the app over what remains of my 30 day free trial.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@Vicw: thank you for keeping us posted! We are glad to hear that MrC helped and you are all set now. :chuffed:

As for your trial, I went ahead and reset it, so you could test everything properly. If there is anything we can help you with, you know where to find us. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• Vicw
    Vicw
    Community Member

Thanks, @Greg

I appreciate the extra time to test 1Password.

I am very encouraged by the active participation in this forum by AgileBits staffers, and the important help from @MrC to customize the Import utility for me. While many companies avoid engagement in their own customer forums, the high level of active support and responsiveness here should help to maintain customer satisfaction, and assure product improvement over time.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@Vicw: You are very welcome! :chuffed: :+1:

We would not be here without our customers, so your experience is very important to us. Please do not hesitate to contact us again in the future, we are always ready to lend you a hand with 1Password. Thanks again!

Have a great Sunday!

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.