Remove Tags from Multiple Items? [Coming in a future update]

jm.torres92
jm.torres92
Community Member
edited August 2017 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Is there a way to remove/add tags from/to multiple items? I just ported everything from a Dropbox account to a new 1Password account, and all of them have a tag "Imported on...", and I'd like to remove that, however I don't see any way to do that through the Windows client without going through each one individually and deleting them one by one.

Any help?

1Password Version: 6.6.435d
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 1607
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:Remove Tags from Multiple Items?

Comments

• Hi @jm.torres92,

Thanks for writing in.

Bulk tag editing is not yet implemented but it is coming in a future update. I would recommend not going through each one right now and wait for us to implement this.

• jm.torres92
    jm.torres92
    Community Member

As a software dev I know that you're probably hesitant to reveal this info, but I have to ask: any ETA on that?

• Hi @jm.torres92,

No ETA, mass/bulk edits are something that the app is not tuned for yet but it is an ongoing work.

• theaknights
    theaknights
    Community Member

One of the main reasons I switched to 1Password from KeePass was tagging. KeePass used the classic folder structure. I switched to Gmail way back when for the same reason (labels). It's very disappointing that there is no way to bulk edit tags. I appreciate that it's under development, but consider this a plea to raise the priority on bulk tagging!

• Hi @theaknights,

Thanks, I've added your vote to our issue. We can't implement this until we finish the other work first but we do know how important this is and have received a lot of requests for this.

• ravensorb
    ravensorb
    Community Member

I'd like to add my vote for this. Better tag management is sorely needed (combine tags, add/remove tags in bulk, etc).

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ravensorb,

Thank you for weighing in! I can certainly understand where you are coming from. Better tag management is on our list, but as Mike mentioned above, we can't implement it before laying the groundwork for it. Working on it! :+1:

• Maddeen
    Maddeen
    Community Member

I'd like to vote for it too.
    Because your import script is responsible for this automated "imported on day xxx" tag that no one needs/wants - why do you force users with this tag that no one wants? :(
    Can somebody please slap the person who thinks that this was a good idea?!? >_<

I want to get rid of this as fast as possible and definitly not by editing over 400 items one by one :(
    Hopefully your coders provide a solution asap. Maybe a workaround?

Thanks in advance.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@Maddeen: I wish I had a workaround for you, but I do not have one at the moment.

We are making a great progress improving 1Password 6 for Windows, but better tags management is yet to come. We didn't forget about it, but I do not have a timeframe for you now. I hope for your understanding. Thank you! :+1:

• Maddeen
    Maddeen
    Community Member

Thanks for your reply - hopefully you provide us a solution within 2017 :)

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@maddeen: :+1:

• Uwe_64
    Uwe_64
    Community Member

Please... the imported on day xxx is annoying :-)

• Hi guys,

We do understand how annoying it is as it is annoying us too but there is a reason we do this; it is to undo the import if it goes wrong. For most folks, this isn't needed and can be removed. That option is coming in a future update.

For some users, import is the only option of updating entries (no sync at work, etc) and that's why we're being safe than sorry by implementing a tag for each import, some users import from various different computers at once and the tag is the only way to tell them apart.

• Defrax
    Defrax
    Community Member

Voting for this too. Under Import, perhaps to be able to select enable or disable tagging could be a solution.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

That is a neat idea, @Defrax! Thank you for your suggestion. :chuffed: :+1:

• oohnajra
    oohnajra
    Community Member

I'm a 1Password enthusiast, but the tagging features on the Windows app still need improving. So here's another vote for bulk renaming/adding/removing tags on the Windows app.

• @oohnajra: I'll be sure to pass along your + 1 for bulk removal too. :+1:

• ajh0912
    ajh0912
    Community Member

Please improve tagging in the Windows app, at the very least it needs a right click - 'Remove Tag from all Entries' function but no renaming tags feature is also quite an oversight. As well as all the other advanced tag features needed. I understand why you have the 'imported $date' tag auto-added, and appreciate it, as long as there's a way to remove it from all entries easily when you're settled in.

• @ajh0912: We are working on a number of tags improvements and hope to see them trickling into some updates before too long. 1Password 6 for Windows started from a blank slate, unlike the other apps, so we know we've got some catching up to do in a few places. :chuffed:

• burn123
    burn123
    Community Member

Any update on this?

• @burn123 absolutely, 1Password 7 Beta can do mass tagging along with many other improvements. You can find more details in this thread https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/87523/1password-7-for-windows-beta-1-is-here

• lovestudykid
    lovestudykid
    Community Member

@SergeyTheAgile Are you sure it's implemented? I didn't find it anywhere. I'm using 7.0 Beta 9 on Mac. I do find that you can add tags in bulk by dragging, but you cannot remove a tag in bulk.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lovestudykid: Sure you can. Right-click the items you've selected and "uncheck" the tag in the Tags list. Cheers! :)

• lovestudykid
    lovestudykid
    Community Member

@brenty
    Not sure whether I understood you correctly. Right click menu doesn't give me any option about tags.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lovestudykid: This is a discussion about 1Password for Windows. It looks like you're using a Mac, so none of the comments above will apply to that.

It looks like you're using the Mac beta, and this feature isn't available there yet. It's something we'll be adding in a future update though. Cheers! :)

• lovestudykid
    lovestudykid
    Community Member

@brenty Hope to see it soon on mac. sorry that I didn't notice it's a windows thread. I found this with google.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @lovestudykid,

Sorry for the confusion. We have a category for each platform and this one is for Windows. :) Here is the Mac category, if you are interested.

We are working on improvements on both platforms, so please stay tuned. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• theaknights
    theaknights
    Community Member

So, I'm trying the new beta and the new ability to uncheck a tag from the selected items is great! However, it appears that now you can't edit a tag on an item. You have to delete the tag and add the new edited tag.

I also want to bulk edit tags. Is that possible and I'm just missing it? Why isn't there a edit option when you right-click on a tag in the list on the left?

• @theaknights: You're not missing anything, bulk editing isn't available just yet. That said, bulk adding and removing is, so you can already kinda make it happen. Select that tag you want to edit in the sidebar, select an item, then Ctrl + A to select all of 'em. Right-click and select Tags and you should see two things – the list of tags with check marks and a text box with "New tag ..." filler text. Type your new tag into that text box and press enter to bulk add your edited tag, then head right back to that tags menu and remove the old one. All done! Few extra steps for now, but it gets the job done. :+1:

• chrislozeau
    chrislozeau
    Community Member

@bundtkate Hi, I just starting using 1Password yesterday. LastPass had a lot of useless tags, so having imported by Vault I'm trying to clean up my data, including tags. I tried to follow your instructions and after selecting the tag and an item, Ctrl + A just highlights all the text on the page rather than all the items. Am I doing something wrong?

This discussion has been closed.