FF beta extension now includes a contextual menu item?

CamJN
CamJN
Community Member
edited August 2017 in 1Password in the Browser

1Password just updated to support web extensions, good for you that must have been a lot of work. But at the same time you added an item to the context menu for no reason. I don't need to be clicking on 1Password every time I want to inspect an element on the page. It's stupid attention stealing garbage and it needs to be removed.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 4.6.9.1b
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

The WebExtensions Firefox extension is based on the Chrome extension which is where that menu has come from and merely brings it in line with what a user has been accustomed to see in both Chrome and Safari. While you may prefer that there was not a contextual entry that is vastly different from what would be required for the extension to be sleazy.

The porting of the Chrome extension source to Firefox was not that hard, the move to an entirely different method of communication that had to be written for the extension and all supporting platforms was what required extensive testing and development before we could proceed.

• heubergen
    heubergen
    Community Member

I don't agree with the language from @CamJN but I agree that the user should have the option to deactivate the context menu.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @heubergen,

At the moment the extension basically has no UI (User Interface) and no code at all for configurational purposes. This isn't to say it isn't possible, clearly it is based on other extensions (I have Ghostery installed for example), just that it isn't as simple as adding an extra setting to pre-existing code. This is one of those times where it would be great to know more about how people use 1Password but we collect no usage data. I don't use the contextual menu and I wonder if it may be better to remove it completely but odds are if we did then we'd find out about a large, passionate group that only use 1Password that way.

At the moment development time on the extension and filling code is dedicated towards continued work on the native messaging, keeping the extension current with browser changes such as the transition to WebExtensions and improving filling accuracy. So it isn't to say this couldn't be considered when people come to us with requests such as yours but we'd want to be confident that this would benefit the majority if we took the time to code it all up in favour of improving filling with those same work hours.

• CamJN
    CamJN
    Community Member

No-one on ff could be used to using 1Password that way since it never used to be in the context menu.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Actually, @CamJN, 1Password did used to have a context menu item in Firefox. We always wanted it there, but for a few years it's not been feasible. We removed it back in 2011 because of a severe performance issue with the API that handles the context menu. We kept checking periodically, but sadly it just never resolved. (I'm willing to admit that it could have been our issue, but we were never able to identify the problem and none of our contacts at Mozilla could pinpoint it either. :frown:)

With WebExtensions, this problem seems to no longer be present, presumably due to the API having been written up from scratch with a modernized software architecture and all the things Mozilla has learned in the interim. So, we're actually pretty happy that we're able to return the context menu to our extension on all platforms. I'm sorry that its return has caught you by surprise.

If it becomes a widespread concern, we might revisit this idea, but for now, I don't see us adding UI and settings to the extension that would allow the contextual menu to be disabled, especially given how small and simple we aim to keep the extension itself.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• CamJN
    CamJN
    Community Member

So you actually do want to be in my way and make me mad at 1Password repeatedly through the day? Anyone who uses the inspect element context menu item on a frequent basis is going to be clicking your item now since you took over the bottom spot which is where inspect element was for easy access.

The nice thing about a password manager is that absolutely no UI is needed in almost all cases. You should really try and be more unobtrusive.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2017

@CamJN: We'll continue to consider your feedback, but there are three other things worth consideration:

1. "No UI" is not acceptable for most users, and we have to consider others besides you when designing 1Password.
    2. We've actually had much more feedback over the years asking for a context menu option in Firefox.
    3. A single context menu item is not what I would call "intrusive" or "in my way"...but then again, different strokes for different folks.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts on this.

• heubergen
    heubergen
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

a dumb comment to delete

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@heubergen: I think in practice you could do that privately, but in principle if you modified and distributed our software without permission we'd obviously have to object to that. ;)

• CamJN
    CamJN
    Community Member
    edited August 2017

Perhaps advertise this then, you can hide the context menu by adding the following rule to your userChrome.css at least until FF dumps XUL:

#onepassword4_agilebits_com_1,
    #context-media-eme-learnmore + menuseparator
    {
        display: none !important;
    }

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah, that's neat! Thanks for sharing! :) :+1:

• CamJN
    CamJN
    Community Member

And you guys went and broke that real quick didn't you? >_< now the ID is onepassword4_agilebits_com_2.

Do you mind not breaking the only workaround that doesn't require repackaging your extension? Or at least giving a heads up? This is supremely annoying, and frankly changing the element's ID can't have been necessary except to screw users over that are trying to fix your mistake.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

It would seem that ID is at least in part generated by Firefox as we have not touched any of the code that might relate to the contextual menu and that string does not exist anywhere in the source. Given this it may very well be your patch will require continued maintenance. We are not trying to screw users over and the presence of the contextual menu is not a mistake.

• Washuu
    Washuu
    Community Member
    edited August 2017

I restarted Firefox today and this popped up in my context menu. I have spent the past hour trying to remove it because I keep [expletive removed] clicking on it when I go to inspect elements as part of my development work.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Hey, @Washuu, thanks for your post. I'm glad you found this thread. I hope my post above helps outline what is happening and why. If anything's not clear, do let us know. Like we like to say, no decision is permanent, but right now, we don't have any plans to remove the contextual menu.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• Washuu
    Washuu
    Community Member

This will remove anything that is rudely shoved into the bottom of the context menu. I am putting this here hoping that other people find it so they use it as well.

#context-media-eme-learnmore + menuseparator + menuitem, #context-media-eme-learnmore + menuseparator {
            display: none !important;
        }

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Naughty language notwithstanding, I don't think it's rude at all that 1Password makes itself available to users in the context menu. We're doing literally the same thing there that we are in other browsers, and many people use and appreciate this. I remember a lot of confusion and frustration when this wasn't possible in the past. The only difference here is that, unlike Chrome and Safari, Firefox puts these at the very bottom of the menu, as opposed to just above "Inspect". That's not something we have control over, and honestly I find the keyboard shortcut (⌘ ⌥ C — Command Option C ) more efficient than clicking anyway.

Anyway, thanks for sharing! It may be that others will find that useful as well. :)

This discussion has been closed.