when 1 open 1pw on my macbook air it closes down half a second after I've typed in password.

Friedrich
Friedrich
Community Member

Hi there,

1pw shuts down half a second after I've put in password. It doesn't happen every time, but it is irritating. I usually open 1pw via 1pw extension in my chrome browser (Version 56.0.2924.87 (64-bit)). Another thing I found out about is that synchronizing with my iPhone (iOS 10.2.1 ) does not really work even if I press sync now on my iPhone.

Thanks
Friedrich

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.3.90
OS Version: macOS Sierra 10.12.3
Sync Type: W-Lan
Referrer: forum-search:1pw closes down on my mac half a second after I've typed in password

Comments

• Friedrich
    Friedrich
    Community Member

Hi,
    just updated 1pw to 6.6

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Friedrich,

I'm sorry you were unable to open 1Password! Did updating to 6.6 solve that problem? Hopefully that took care of things and it's working for you now, but if not, please let us know. You also mentioned some trouble syncing - does it work better since installing the update?

• Friedrich
    Friedrich
    Community Member

Hi,

thanks for the answer, but no nothing has changed since the update. The same problem comes up again: I type in my password, 1pw opens and shuts down immediatley. After another attempt or two it stays open. Another strange thing just happened. 1pw browser extension was open, and I tried to open 1pw from the launchpad and I had to type in my password again, which has not been the case so far. Thanks.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Friedrich,

Thanks for clarifying that, sorry to hear it's still a problem! Just to make sure I understand - you said the 1Password extension "shuts down" when you try to open it in Chrome. Do you mean the extension window closes and won't stay open? Are you clicking on the 1Password extension button in Chrome's toolbar or using the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut? When you try to open the extension a second time, do you need to unlock it with your master password again, or is it still unlocked from before?

If you unlocked 1Password from the extension, the main app should also be unlocked, so it's definitely strange that it also asks for your master password. Please try restarting 1Password mini to see if that helps: Open and unlock the main 1Password app, then go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini. You'll need to unlock it again with your master password once you do that, which is normal. Do you still see the same problems with the extension and main app after that? If so, please also reboot your Mac and try again. Does that make any difference?

• Friedrich
    Friedrich
    Community Member

Hi,
    thanks for the help. Yes, the extension window closed in a split of a second after I've typed in the password. This has happened not every time but more often lately. It took me two or more attempts for the extension to stay open. And I needed to type in the master password every time again. This happened always when I clicked the extension button, I did not use the keyboard shortcut. I restarted 1pw mini as you suggested, and right now it seems to work fine. Thanks

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's good news @Friedrich, I'm glad it's working better after restarting 1Password mini! Hopefully it continues to work well, but if those odd problems start happening again, let us know and we'll continue looking into it. Thanks! :)

• Friedrich
    Friedrich
    Community Member

Hi there,
    can the the security number e.g. with American Express be made visible permanently? And if so, how? Will the security number be filled in automatically although it is hidden in 1pw or do I have to fill it in manually?
    Thanks
    Friedrich

• rudy
    edited August 2017

Hi @friedrich,

Unfortunately not. The verification number isn't a configurable field so it will always be concealed. If you were to move that number into a custom field in a separate section then it would be always visible but it wouldn't be part of the filling equation. You would have to manually insert that value any time you filled the card.

You can however hold down the option key on the keyboard to reveal the value of any concealed field. Another option is to turn off "conceal passwords" on the Security tab; though I suspect you actually do want passwords to be concealed normally.

Rudy

• Friedrich
    Friedrich
    Community Member

Hi Rudy,
    thanks for your quick response. What's the option key, though. Is it the alt key?
    thanks
    Friedrich

• Hi @Friedrich,

Indeed, Option is what the key is labeled on most Mac keyboards, it is equivalent to the Alt key on PC-style keyboards.

Rudy

• Friedrich
    Friedrich
    Community Member

Hi Rudy,
    thanks, and that means, whenever I want to fill in my credit card details I press the option key so I do not have to fill in the verification number manually?
    Friedrich

• @Friedrich,

It should be filling that number already, the option key was only to reveal the value if you were needing to look at it. Is the verification number not filling when you choose a credit card as the item to fill on a particular webpage?

Rudy

• Friedrich
    Friedrich
    Community Member

@Rudy,
    I am not quite sure. At one occasion I had the feeling it was not filling in automatically. I am going to check next time.
    Thanks
    Friedrch

• @Friedrich,

Definitely let us know if you encounter a web form that it fails to fill on. We're always looking to improve our filling brain, but sometimes sites do fail to mark their fields correctly.

Rudy

• Friedrich
    Friedrich
    Community Member

@Rudy,
    hi there. I have just experienced a very strange thing. Whatever I do, 1pw does not fill in anything. Neither when I am clicking on the 1Password extension button in Chrome's toolbar nor using the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut. It does not react at all. Thanks for your help. Friedrich

• @Friedrich,

Initial guess is that Chrome auto-updated and you'll need to relaunch it. 6.8.1 will display an alert in that situation to let you know that it needs a relaunch in order to continue working.

Rudy

• Friedrich
    Friedrich
    Community Member

@Rudy,

initial guess was perfect! Everything works out fine again, thank you very much
    Friedrich

• Thank you for the update @Friedrich. On behalf of Rudy you're most welcome. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• Friedrich
    Friedrich
    Community Member

Thank you very much Ben
    Friedrich

• :+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.