1PW can't save or fill -- Firefox

Options

When opening Firefox after installing the latest update, I saw the box pop up saying it couldn't save or fill and to re-start or get help. I restarted once, same thing. When I then clicked get help, it took me to https://support.1password.com/kb/201707/, which seems to be all about Chrome, not Firefox. Am I missing something very basic here?

1Password Version: 6.8.1.BETA-1
Extension Version: 4.6.8
OS Version: OS X 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @np9,

A change in the latest beta means you'll want to use the beta 1Password Firefox Extension which you can find at 1Password Browser Extensions. You'll need to uninstall the existing stable copy first but once you have the beta installed you should find Firefox works again. If you run into any trouble please let us know :smile:

• np9
    np9
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks very much. Will I need to update the browser extension manually going forward?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @np9,

Firefox will automatically install new beta versions as they're released. The only time you would need to manually muck around with the extension is whenever you want to move from either the stable to beta or beta to stable. In both cases what you're doing is instructing Firefox as to which branch it should be following and updating from. If all goes well we will be releasing a new Firefox extension next week so that everybody can continue to use the 1Password Browser Extension as we move towards only WebExtensions support in Firefox 57.

• np9
    np9
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks much.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:smile: Glad we could be of help.

• Bobalaska
    Bobalaska
    Community Member
    Options

Very helpful. Had same issue, and the suggested fix of using extension beta seemed to solve it.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great! Thanks for confirming, @Bobalaska!

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• straitline
    straitline
    Community Member
    Options

I'm running 1Password 4, and neither the beta extension nor non-beta extension seems to work in Firefox now. Am I missing something?

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@straitline Are you using 1Password 4 for Mac? If so, unfortunately, the latest release of the Firefox extension will no longer work for you since 1Password 4 for Mac is no longer being updated or maintained. We're maintaining a post in the legacy forum with these sorts of compatibility updates: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/78729/1password-4-legacy-support-information I am noticing that we need to update this post with more details about the new Firefox extension, so I will go and do that now. :)

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Fort Worth, Texas

• straitline
    straitline
    Community Member
    Options

I was afraid of that, I didn't see any older browser extensions in there, where can I get the last version so I can continue on with Firefox?

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You could download 1Password 4.6.8, but Firefox is aggressive about keeping add-ons up-to-date, so it will be a pretty onerous struggle to keep it from installing the latest.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Not only that @straitline but Firefox 57 later this year wouldn't let you run the older extension either. The reason the extension isn't working is rolled up in the fact that we had to move to WebExtension to ensure future compatibility with Firefox. At a guess you've already had to disable the code signature verification check in 1Password 4 for Mac because of newer signatures in Firefox and Chrome - it's just the continued growing of incompatibility I'm afraid as some software you use is still being updated but other connected components such as 1Password haven't. Sorry :(

• straitline
    straitline
    Community Member
    Options

Is there a place I can download the 4.6.8 version? It is disappointing to be pushed into a forced upgrade by this, Apple doesn't exactly cater to professionals anymore...

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You can download 4.6.8 here: https://cache.agilebits.com/dist/1P/ext/1Password-4.6.8.xpi Like I said, though, Firefox is very aggressive with keeping extensions updated, so you'll need to take extra measures to prevent that.

As for the upgrade, it's pretty common that software vendors only support the current and one or maybe two OS releases back. Mavericks is now four, about to be five, versions behind, and in order for the development team to remain productive, it's just not feasible to keep supporting those old OS versions. I'm not sure what "cater[ing] to professionals" means for you, but I work on macOS every day for multiple hours (software development in vim, Xcode, Visual Studio via Parallels; customer support in Safari; sometimes some graphics work in Sketch or similar; the odd GIFBrewery diversion; that kind of thing) and I rarely regret making the jump to the latest version and if I do (usually because some software isn't ready yet, most often GPGTools's plugin for Mail.app before I started using MailMate) it only lasts a little while.

Cheers!

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Fort Worth, Texas

• straitline
    straitline
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the download link!

It's not your fault that Apple deems it necessary to release a new os every year, but it's not worth my time to chase down every one of those, once I get setup, I try to maintain for as long as possible so that I'm not on the never ending update cycle. I get efficient with my system and that's how work gets done. 1password is certainly part of that efficiency.8

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @straitline,

While keeping the operating system up to date can sometimes be a pain or may include UI (User Interface) changes that take time to adjust to for reasons of security staying current is recommended. OS X 10.9 AKA Mavericks is no longer supported by Apple and OS X 10.10 AKA Yosemite is only receiving security updates and will likely become unsupported with the release of High Sierra later this year. This does mean your Mac could be vulnerable to certain attacks that later versions of macOS isn't.

It won't just be about stopping Firefox from updating the extension either, it will be stopping Firefox from updating too. Chrome and Firefox both attempt to update automatically because they believe users weren't doing so themselves. If Firefox updates the extension it will break, if Firefox updates to version 57 later this year it will break. When people have contacted us about 1Password 4 and browsers I've been recommending they consider switching to Safari as the outlook for Firefox and Chrome with 1Password 4 for Mac is bleak.

Of all the operating systems I actually find updating macOS the easiest. With the likes of SuperDuper! you can make a clone of the drive meaning you can always revert if needed. You can also run macOS from an external drive, one you just created for example and update it instead of the internal drive. I find they help a lot in allowing you to back out if something doesn't go right.

I wish I could be more positive but it doesn't look good for the future of Firefox and Chrome with 1Password 4 for Mac.

This discussion has been closed.