1Password extension for Microsoft Edge [Available now in the Windows Store]

Comments

• hwieser
    hwieser
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

C'mon guys are you serious? The Insider builds from February have moved to releases since, so where is the extension? Please give us the concrete version of Insider flight needed to play with the bits. This pointing to "Insider" builds may work with people unfamiliar with Microsoft current release cycles and flight programs. For web based functions, you can even select which features to switch on or off in particular flights. So please stop creating this all or nothing image.

My impression: You had one contingency engineer on the project who has been reassigned months ago - prove me wrong.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@hwieser: As mentioned previously, we're working with Microsoft on this but don't have a public beta for Edge yet. When we have something to share, we'll be excited to have you participate in testing it. :)

• imacken
    imacken
    Community Member

Honestly guys, I'm sure you're working hard on this, but 2 years so far and nothing for Edge! Seriously?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @imacken,

It is not that simple. Please check this post to find out why. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• imacken
    imacken
    Community Member

Greg,
    I have seen that post, but it still doesn't help. All we get is that it is difficult to do. It's been 2 years now. It sure as hell must be!

• Hey @imacken,

Whenever we have a thread like this, we tend to update them when the feature makes its debut so keep checking back for updates. :chuffed:

• imacken
    imacken
    Community Member

Thanks, I’ve been ‘checking back’ for almost two years now!

• @imacken Sorry! :blush: It's been a tougher road than we expected. If it makes you feel any better, our developers tell me they're paying for the struggle with hair loss but are working hard to make it happen all the same! :+1:

• dfitz
    dfitz
    Community Member

Just an aside comment, been using 1Password for a long time, Chrome works great with 1Pass. Yes i was hoping that it would work with Edge, however, since Chrome works with 1Pass, no big deal not using Edge all the time. I rather have 1Pass focus their programmers working on 1Pass improvements for the interfaces that allow them seamless access within a reasonable amount of time.
    This is just my view, every one has their own of this situation. Someday Edge will allow 1Pass to work as Chrome did.
    Reason for this post, 1Pass is a GREAT program and wanted to thank you all for all for Windows 1Pass and your effort working on Edge interface.

• Paatrick
    Paatrick
    Community Member

Actually im not too sure anymore if it will support 1pass some time. Don't missunderstand me, I love the software as stated before. But I waited now since march and there is no hint that Edge will support 1Pass soon nore that development proceeds somehow, except for statements to feed us with hope. 1Pass is a GREAT programm indeed and I would love to have it in Edge (as I'm forced to use Edge for reasons) but I'm tired of waiting and will try out other software supporting Edge by now. If it fits my needs, im off of 1Pass... Might come back if 1Pass is supported by Edge at any time.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dfitz: Thanks for the kind words. I use Edge daily for surfing, but you're right: I switch to another browser (usually Vivaldi) with the 1Password extension when I need to get stuff done since we're able to have great integration there.

@Paatrick: I'm sorry to hear that, but I understand completely. 1Password has never supported Edge, and though it's something we're working on I wouldn't want to hold you back if it's something you absolutely need right now.

• jeo4long
    jeo4long
    Community Member

I am agree with @Paatrick on this one. I love 1Password but for the last 3 months now I switched to Keeper just because it supports edge. I hope you guys put more resources and keep up with Windows world one day.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

If you haven't noticed, we've been putting a ton of resources into Windows this past year, with the launch of a brand new app, and at least 8 sizable updates to it since then. Unfortunately that doesn't change the reality that Edge requires special handling and a lot of work in order for 1Password to be able to support it, but we'll get there in time. In the mean time, we've got plenty more to do and we'll continue to make the new app even better. Cheers! :)

• tealduck
    tealduck
    Community Member

I have to agree with everyone else here waiting for this extension. I mean we are not talking about splitting atoms here just integrating your application with another one through a common API. Perhaps you guys should hire a consultant or two to bang this out for you as it does not look like the internal staff is up to the task.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tealduck: Insults aside, the necessary APIs have to be available in order for any of that to be feasible. As mentioned previously, we're working on this with Microsoft, but Edge is not a mature browser (not meant derogatorily, it just hasn't been around as long as Chrome or Firefox). There's a lot of work that needs to be done on both sides in collaboration for 1Password to be able to integrate with Edge.

• tealduck
    tealduck
    Community Member

Alright my tone might have been a little harsh but the suggestion was sincere. Look I develop Oracle applications for a living, if someone came and asked me for a SQL Server solution I could probably struggle through it but there are others could get the job done much faster. I really believe you guys are in this scenario, I see that you keep saying you are waiting for some functionality from Microsoft but the reality is that everything is already available for integration. LastPass introduced this on 05/27/2016, RoboForm introduced this on 12/12/2016 and Keeper released on 06/22/2017.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tealduck: Fair enough, though I don't understand what scenario you're referring to exactly. 1Password doesn't store your data in the browser, so there are definitely pluses and minuses to each approach. I think it's possible that we'll be able to release something before we have everything we need, just without all of the functionality that we want. We're not waiting on Microsoft here. We're very much working on this ourselves while they continue to work on Edge and we continue to build the new Windows app. There are things we'd still very much like to have to enable us to make an Edge extension that's as feature-rich as what we have on other browsers, but we've got plenty more to do in the mean time and we're not sitting still. Hopefully we'll have something to share with beta testers in the near future. ;)

• Hi guys,

We've announced some details about the limited beta testing on 1Password extension for Microsoft Edge in the sticky post here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/81354/adventurers-wanted-help-test-the-1password-extension-in-microsoft-edge

@tealduck,

As Brenty mentioned, we haven't been waiting for Microsoft the whole time. We've actually gone through several internal projects and many with Microsoft's teams helping us as well. Majority of them didn't work out, with Microsoft understanding the reasons and had no perfect solution. The programs you've listed are not the type of product that 1Password is, it is a local program running on your desktop that downloads your encrypted content onto the local disk and decrypt it locally, it must communicate securely to the 1Password extension to work. It is only recently that Microsoft added support for Native Messaging and we are using it now. Your extensions that you mentioned does not require desktop program, they download the data into their extension's local database to decrypt, which we don't have. There were many alternatives, build a complete extension like these programs you refer to but that means there is no support for local vaults, it would require 1Password.com accounts. Build a UWP app, which was what we were doing but it ran into too many problems. At the moment, even the implementation we're using now for Edge is very limited and Microsoft might actually not allow this, so we're doing a limited beta testing with them as well and see if it will be approved.

• Wilhelm
    Wilhelm
    Community Member

Thanks for the update, @MikeT ! I'm sure you'll have more enough people assisting with testing, but just in case you need another one, my hand's been up all along! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Wilhelm: Thanks so much for your willingness to test the new Edge extension beta! It's not something we can open up to everyone yet, but we'll be excited to do so in the future if all goes well. Keep an eye out for updates from us on this! ;)

• architect1337
    architect1337
    Community Member

If it helps, I've put my first (very first) impressions of the new Edge extension into a post in the Windows beta section of this forum.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• Sonorov
    Sonorov
    Community Member

Why 1password and Edge extension is not available in Windows Marketplace from Poland?

• MikeT
    edited August 2017

Hi @Sonorov,

Did you download 1Password from Windows Store before? If not, it is not going to show up at all.

Right now, 1Password extension in Windows Store is limited to current customers who downloaded 1Password before from the Windows Store. We will be opening it up to more folks slowly over time until we're ready for it to be an open beta for everyone to download any time.

• Sonorov
    Sonorov
    Community Member

@MikeT - only 1Password Alpha for Windows 10.

• Hi @Sonorov,

Ah, that is not the right app. 1Password Alpha was a separate alpha build that was archived when we released a new 1Password app that has turned into the 1Password extension for Edge now.

We'll announce more details about how to get this extension once we're ready with an open beta.

• Hi guys,

As we're getting good feedback despite the known issues, we're opening up the beta to more folks. We have a link that will allow up to ~150 folks to get the latest 1Password extension beta in the Windows Store.

Please click on this link: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=532540&mstoken=WXG2C-KV7HY-C3JT3-RP7XY-6CT4Z

This will redeem a code to download 1Password with your Microsoft account and you can then open this link to access 1Password in the Windows Store: https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9WZDNCRDR64J

Please be sure to read the known issues in the pinned Edge thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/387005/#Comment_387005

• adrian_mos
    adrian_mos
    Community Member

Hi Mike,
    I've redeemed the code and when I go to the Store I get this message: "1Password is not currently available". Is this because 150 folks have already downloaded it and the quota has been reached or is there anther problem?
    Thank you

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hello @adrian_mos,

I am not aware of the exceeded quota yet. Could you please clarify what you see when you redeem the code and click Confirm after that? Thanks!

• adrian_mos
    adrian_mos
    Community Member

the browser switches to a page that looks like the Store and there's a button that says "Get the app". I click on that and the actual "Store" app opens. In there however there is only a gray button that says "Share" and a message above it "1Password is not currently available".
    I have Windows 10 version 15063.
    Thank you

This discussion has been closed.