Tagging in Windows is pretty limited [Tag improvements are coming in future updates]

Justin Mullis
Justin Mullis
Community Member
edited January 2017 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I'm the mac guy on a team of Windows IT guys. Trying to convince them 1password doesn't suck and not to go back to Lastpass. So let's talking about tagging. On the mac client tags work as I expect. I can type tags with spaces in them. If a tag already exists it does type ahead for me when adding to an item. I can add multiple tags to an item.

On Windows there doesn't appear to be a way to enter a tag with a space ("Employee Accounts"). There is no type ahead for existing items. There is no way to add multiple tags to an item.

This is extremely hard for me to defend. Its already hard to keep organized coming from Lastpass and using folders. Having a completely hobbled tag system on Windows makes it that much worse.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Justin Mullis,

Thanks for writing in.

You can separate tags with commas, so this would work: work, employee accounts, IT. You only need commas if you need the space in the tag, so this would work too: work IT accounts and it will separate them with commas when you save it.

1Password 6 is relatively a new program, not all features are available yet, we're working as fast as we can to get it to the same level as the mature macOS version of 1Password 6. Tag completion, bulk tag editing such as renaming, deleting, and so on are coming in future updates.

• ioojimooi
    ioojimooi
    Community Member

@MikeT thanks for the advice and in fact i found the same problem the OP is talking about, i.e. doing "tag with space" on the windows ver app - which doesn't work with either double-quote or single-quote, but now, adding a funny comma at the end did the trick.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ioojimooi,

Thank you for chipping in! You are right, tagging is not perfect in the current version of 1Password 6, but as Mike noted above, we are planning to bring more functionality in this area in future updates. Please stay tuned! ;)

++
    Greg

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

I gave up on tags due to the discrepancy between Mac and Windows versions. I did some tags with a comma and that worked on a Mac. Did the same thing on a PC and I what I saw was a tag with a comma in it instead of being a separator.

E.g. "Tag" and "Tag," are two tags on Windows. Tag, is one Tag in the Mac version. I hope I'm making sense here.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@wkleem: We are aware of that and working really hard to make our apps more consistent across the platforms. More tags improvements are coming in future updates. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• Thank you for your feedback, @dahanbn.
    We are aware how important this is for our users hope that we'll have something to announce in this area soon.

Cheers!

• Jupdi
    Jupdi
    Community Member

Hi!

Is there anything new to tagging? We use 1Password in our company with a mixture of around 40% Mac and 60% Windows users. I really like 1Password on Mac, but for my colleagues the tagging is really a pain! We need the same bulk features as in the Mac version otherwise i think i cannot convince them keeping up with your tool...
    Do you have any time plan for this?

Greetings from Germany!

• Hey @Jupdi! The current focus is on getting ready for 1Password 7 for Windows, but we're still very much in the planning and prioritization stages. It's a great time to pass along feature requests but not such a great time for timelines. So, while I don't have any updates on tags, your requests absolutely affect prioritization, so I'd be happy to pass along your feedback. Could you give me some more detail about the exact tagging features you'd like to see on Windows? It sounds like you primarily want to be able to bulk edit tags, but I want to make sure I'm not leaving anything out. :chuffed:

Thanks!

• Jupdi
    Jupdi
    Community Member
    edited August 2017

Hi @bundtkate !
    Thanks for your fast answer.

Here is are some features that would be great:

• bulk renaming tags
    • bulk adding tags (would be nice to make the entries selectable, because with hundreds of passwords drag'n drop isn't as efficient)
    • selecting multiple tags to filter
    • filter with tags and categories at the same time
  • Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Jupdi,

On behalf of Kate you are very welcome! :) We will make sure to pass your suggestions along to your team. Your feedback is important to us, so please keep it coming. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• Jupdi
    Jupdi
    Community Member

HI @Greg !
    Thanks for this, i think some of the mentioned features are useful to have on both platforms, but for us the bulk renaming and adding is the most important for the windows version! 8-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed. It's certainly only going to become more important as we all get more and more data over time. Thanks for the feedback! :)

• oohnajra
    oohnajra
    Community Member

I'm a 1Password enthusiast, but the tagging features on the Windows app still need improving. So here's another vote for bulk renaming/adding/removing tags on the Windows app. Also, being able to use spaces in a tag-name without 1Password splitting it up into multiple tags, would be great too. Finally, please add an auto-complete feature for typing tags.

• @oohnajra: I'll certainly add your +1 for bulk tagging and auto-complete, but I can fix the space problem for you now. Just make sure that you add a comma after any tag with a space, even if you aren't adding a second tag and 1Password 6 will recognize it as a single tag. :chuffed:

• oohnajra
    oohnajra
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

@bundtkate Thanks for the tip with regards to using spaces in (single) tags! Looking forward to bulk tag editing being implemented.

• I'm glad the tip was helpful, @oohnajra :chuffed:

• Jupdi
    Jupdi
    Community Member

Hi,

any news here?

• Hi @Jupdi,

Not sure what news you're asking for but I'll address your original list:

Bulk renaming tags

This has been added in 1Password 7.2 update, right-click on the tag in the sidebar to rename or delete them.

bulk adding tags (would be nice to make the entries selectable, because with hundreds of passwords drag'n drop isn't as efficient)

This was added in the 1Password 7.0 update, right-click on multiple items to use the tag menu to add or remove tags. The current UI is not very friendly, we're still investigating for a better UI for this. Dragging onto tag list is not possible yet due to some technical issues but we're still planning to add that in the future.

selecting multiple tags to filter

Not yet possible, our search isn't flexible to do multi searches, so it is not limited to tags but all contexts. We do plan to support this in a future update.

There is a trick you can do for two tags; select the tag on the sidebar and then use tag: in the item list's search field. So you can select work tag on the sidebar and then use tag:bills in the search field.

filter with tags and categories at the same time

You can select the category and use tag: in the item list search field to search for specific tags.

An advanced search filter like in the macOS version of 1Password is planned but it'll require major changes to all 1Password platforms since the way macOS version handles such advanced filters is due to use of exclusive macOS' APIs that doesn't exist elsewhere. We're trying to figure out a cross-platform approach to this and hope to make this available soon.

• cburnham
    cburnham
    Community Member

Are there any plans to allow us to merge two or more tags in the Windows version? For example, I have multiple entries of the same word, but some with uppercase and others with lower case. i.e. "Password" and "password" are separate tags in my database. I'd like to merge those into a single tag since they are both the same in my opinion.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cburnham,

If you have two similar tags (password and Password) and then rename the tag in the side bar (password > Password), you will end up with one tag Password with all of the items under that tag:

Please give it a try and let me know if it helps. Thanks! :+1:

Cheers,
    GReg

• cburnham
    cburnham
    Community Member

Wow, that works great!! Thanks for the tip. The only thing that might make the process even quicker is if you could do a hard left-click to get the tag in edit mode. If you're editing a bunch of tags, it's just an extra step to have to invoke the right-click menu, which is completely unnecessary if you just let the default Windows actions work as designed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad that Greg's tip helped! We'll be adding other tag management features in future updates as well. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.