Any plans to add complications to 1password for apple watch?

gmaddry
gmaddry
Community Member

Adding complication to 1password would allow fast selection of app from a watch face.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: watchos3.1.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:apple watch complications

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gmaddry: It's something we may do in the future, but I have to be honest, you're only the second person I recall asking about it. My complications real estate is spoken for, and I'm not sure I'd want 1Password there anyway. Nothing against 1Password, but I keep things I use over and over again there, and things that can give me useful information at a glance (lowercase "g"). I'm not sure what we could do with 1Password besides putting the logo on the watch face. That's cool, but not as useful as other complications I've used. I actually have 1Password pinned to the Dock though, so it's still easy to get to and fast to launch. I'd love to hear more about how you use 1Password on your watch though, and how you'd like to in the future. Maybe there's something great we can do. :)

• gmaddry
    gmaddry
    Community Member

I may be using 1Password a little differently. I agree space is limited on a watch face and I too use it for things I go to often or want to see on the the face such as weather. But I use 1Password notes for lists I want to see on my watch as so far I have found 1Password to be the most reliable in updating the watch. For now I too have 1Password on the dock.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gmaddry: Cool. Even with the more established 1Password apps, I encounter people using them in ways I hadn't considered myself. But especially with the relatively new Apple Watch, many of us are still figuring out how it fits into our lives, so it's always cool to hear what others are doing.

I will say that, generally speaking, 1Password isn't designed as a list app, so I'm not sure that this is a direction we'll go. But it's definitely good feedback, and something to consider. Personally, while there are a ton of cheap and free list apps out there, I use OmniFocus. It isn't cheap (it's much more than a list app), but their Apple Watch app is brilliant.

• gmaddry
    gmaddry
    Community Member

I have tried Draft and Toodledo and both were more than I needed for the simple list for groceries of 5 to 10 items. Also using 1Password reduces the number of apps on the watch as I would have it on for TOTP anyway. Also many of those other apps don't have a windows version or way to interface with lists created on windows that lets them out for me.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah, that makes sense. Cheers! :)

• thejonbinder
    thejonbinder
    Community Member

I'd also love to see a complication (although I understand there's not a ton of demand for it). I have a login for a work account that I need to use multiple times per day, so it would be nice to have my TOTP at a glance. I'm currently using 2STP (linked below) to handle that, but it's mildly frustrating to need another app solely to handle that one code when I've already got 1Password. I know that from a security perspective, having a large complication that displays the 6-digit code for a given login would probably not be the ideal, but it would certainly help my workflow. I'd even be happy with tapping on a small complication to display a code (which is what 2STP does).

As for using up another complication, I prefer the "modular" watch face, and I've set up a second modular face for when I'm at work so I can just swipe between my personal and work faces depending on where I am.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/2stp-authenticator/id954311670?mt=8

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@thejonbinder: Thanks for this feedback! Ultimately it sounds like the reason having a complication for this works for you is because it's a separate app. For 1Password to offer similar functionality, there would have to be very specific setup for the complication, potentially meaning you could only have one at any given time. It sounds like that would work well for you, I'm just not sure it wouldn't be limiting or confusing for others. It's definitely something we can consider though! :)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited August 2017

@brenty OT: never heard of 2STP, but just read in the App Store description that it supports 6 to 10 digits TOTP; so even more than the 8 requested in another topic...

@thejonbinder: Thank you for mentioning 2STP; apparently it supports HOTP as well. Would be great if I could use this to replace the MobilePASS (iPhone only) App! (Would love it even more if 1Password supported HOTP)

BTW: the 2STP FAQ explains why a complication showing a TOTP code does not make much sense: a TOTP code changes every 30 seconds while a complication can only be updated less frequent than that...

http://www.thomasrzhao.com/2stp-support/

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@brenty OT: never heard of 2STP, but just read in the description that it supports 6 to 10 digits OTP, so even more than the 8 requested in another topic...

@XIII: Yep! :)

@thejonbinder: Thank you for mentioning 2STP; apparently it supports HOTP as well. Would be great if I could use this to replace the MobilePASS iPhone only App! (Would love it even more if 1Password supported HOTP)

I'd like that too. HOTP just isn't nearly as common as TOTP, and even that is not ubiquitous. I don't use TOTP codes every day. When I do use them, it's usually to login on a new device, and then it isn't requested for quite some time (or sometimes if I'm logging in from a different location). So, to be honest, if I had a use-case like this where I needed a code every day and/or multiple times a day, I'd actually prefer a dedicated app for that. Don't get me wrong, I love 1Password, but it does a lot already, and something like this gets a bit buried, since it isn't a common use case or 1Password's primary function. Food for thought.

BTW: the 2STP FAQ explains why a complication showing a TOTP code does not make much sense: a TOTP code changes every 30 seconds while a complication can only be updated less frequent than that...

Yeah that is a bit rough. If we do something with complications, it would more likely be a "quick launch" method to open the item in 1Password to view the TOTP code — especially since that might make it easier to view TOTP codes for multiple logins.

• thejonbinder
    thejonbinder
    Community Member

@brenty I figured my use-case was going to be pretty specific to a very small niche market, so I didn't have my fingers crossed. I would still love to see the quick-launch complication you just mentioned.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad to hear it! Perhaps others may as well. :)

• montefalconese
    montefalconese
    Community Member

I too would like a 1Password complication. I’m an Englishman living in Italy where there is little support as yet for Apple Pay. I have a watch face I use when I go shopping which has complications for Bring - an excellent shopping list app, supports multiple users and unlike Buy Me A Pie is free - Stocard, and Phone in case I need to consult my wife. I still have an English bank account in addition to my Italian account. As I use it infrequently I’m not always sure I’ve remembered its PIN correctly. Being able to add a 1Password complication to the shopping face would be a bonus. Having said that, now that Watch OS has enabled App layout as an alphabetical list 1Password is only a click of the crown away.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@montefalconese: You have a shopping face? That's a cool idea I'd never thought of. We don't have anything in that vein right now, but it's something we'll continue to consider as we develop future versions of the watch app. Thanks for sharing your use case! :)

P.S: I also noticed that 1Password is extra accessible in watchOS 4 with the list view for apps. For anyone else who finds that better than the "honeycomb" layout, force-pressing on the Home Screen with all the apps will let you choose List View — and 1Password will be right up there at the top. ;)

• doetraar
    doetraar
    Community Member

I have a use case that may be a bit more obvious, and one which I really wished I had a solution for this week:

My  Watch has a “Travel” face. I use it for flight information, Timezone information, weather, and I wish 1Password.

The reason for the 1Password request is that when travelling I will put specific 1P items into my Watch; such as a corporate credit card, or, rewards card data for airlines, hotels, and so on. Basically, the only data I want to have there is the data I know I will need on that trip, and where I know I’ll need it in a handy location.

Would be great to have a 1P compilation that I could tap on on this Travel watch face and take me right to 1P, rather than crown/scroll/find/tap.

Scott

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I have a use case that may be a bit more obvious, and one which I really wished I had a solution for this week: My  Watch has a “Travel” face. I use it for flight information, Timezone information, weather, and I wish 1Password.

@doetraar: Yep! me too!

The reason for the 1Password request is that when travelling I will put specific 1P items into my Watch; such as a corporate credit card, or, rewards card data for airlines, hotels, and so on. Basically, the only data I want to have there is the data I know I will need on that trip, and where I know I’ll need it in a handy location.

Except you're way more dedicated than I am. I always have the same stuff in 1Password on my Apple Watch...

Would be great to have a 1P compilation that I could tap on on this Travel watch face and take me right to 1P, rather than crown/scroll/find/tap.

..so I can always get to it from the home screen (List View is your friend!), since "1Password" is right at the top! But we can certainly consider adding a complication in the future. Thanks for taking the time to share your use case! :chuffed:

• Pjero
    Pjero
    Community Member

Here is another person who just got the Apple Watch in desperate need for a 1password complication icon. All the other payed apps that I use have it, I was expecting you to have it as well. I was even saving a space on one of my faces just for it and now it's empty :(.

It isn't something that I need every day, but when I do, I need to get to it as quick as possible.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's certainly something we'll consider adding in a future version. Thanks for letting us know how important it is to you! :)

• i had to re-write this first sentence about 8 times, and then decided i might as well not beat around the bush with it. I work for Apple at the retail level, and we use multiple devices a day, each device asking for a 6 digit TOTP code, and it would be nice to have a 1Password Complication, even just the app icon to tap and take me to the TOTP generator for my work AppleID, especially now that Series 3 watches have cellular abilities and i am leaving my phone behind more and more at work...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018

@Fruit_Stand_Employee: That's really helpful to know. Thank you! 1Password wasn't designed with multiple TOTP codes in mind at all, but oddly enough it's been coming up the past month or so. I'm not sure how it will play out since it will require changes across literally 6 different platforms now, but it's definitely on our radar. This is a great example. Cheers! :)

ref: OPI-4377

• crispybishop
    crispybishop
    Community Member

I'll add a +1 for complications, specifically because of TOTP. Right now I have it in my dock, which is not convenient at all. But to have a simple icon on my watch face would be ideal, especially if it were possible to set that complication to show only one-time-password-enabled logins. Right now I have all apps with 2FA enabled on my apple watch, as well as some other non-2FA logins which I use frequently. Enabling the complication would be the first step, but allowing me to choose "just 2FA-enabled logins" or "all apple-watch-enabled logins" would be a step further which I would love. Please & Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@crispybishop - The release of Series 3 Apple Watch has caused us to start thinking about how best to integrate with the new opportunities it provides. One of the best examples is runners who now are able to go out for a run without having to have their phone with them. In the past, 1Password for Apple Watch was written with the (then correct) assumption that users would have their iPhone nearby, with the full 1Password for iOS installed. The approach was therefore more about convenience and quick access, rather than attempting to make the 1Password for Apple Watch client a full-featured part of the 1Password lineup.

Those assumptions have all changed now that people can conceivably be out all day long without their iPhone at all, if they so desire. Due to the screen-size restrictions and some others inherent to the format, I don't know how closely we'll ever be able to make 1Password for Apple Watch resemble a more full-featured client, but we're definitely kicking around ideas for how we can bring the 1Password experience you all have come to expect to the new, "untethered" series of Apple Watch, and a complication for 1Password is definitely on that list. Stay tuned, and thanks for your thoughts on the subject!

• cwis
    cwis
    Community Member

Just wanted to add I also would welcome a complication.

I customize my watch faces depending on the time of day, and having the ability to click on the 1Password icon on my watch face to open the app on a pre-chosen OTP item would be nice.

• cwis
    cwis
    Community Member

From the Apple Human Interface Guidelines: “You should strongly consider creating complications for your app, even if they only act as a launcher for your watchOS app.”

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/clockkit/adding_a_complication_to_your_watchos_app

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That didn't exist when we created our Apple Watch app, but it's absolutely something we'll consider as we develop future versions. I'd personally prefer a complication that does something useful, since I can already get the "launcher" aspect using the Dock, but there's no reason to rule it out completely. :)

• bluedogmoon
    bluedogmoon
    Community Member
    edited September 2019

I would really like to see 1Password complications. It would be a lot easier to access 2FA codes when I don’t have my phone nearby. I realize I can open the app on my computer- but honestly why should I have to when it’s right there on my wrist? That being said, apps on the watch are just not very convenient to start when you can’t have something you use frequently on the watch face. While I know (because I looked) that similar apps don’t have complications either, it seems to me that 1Password having one would be exactly the kind of thing to make an already great app stand out more.

• I agree; complications do seem to make it much easier to interact with a number of apps.

Ben

• Good day folks!

It's been a rather long journey. Still looking for complications? Using 1Password 8? Some are now available for use. Check out our new blog posting. As of today, 1Password 8 for Apple Watch is available:

Community - Announcing 1Password 8 for Apple Watch ⌚️

Blog - Introducing 1Password 8 for Apple Watch

More exciting things to come.

This discussion has been closed.