"1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini" every time I log into my iMac

m_w
m_w
Community Member

For about a week now I see getting the error "1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini"; I click on Quit and start 1Pwd app. All works then including 1Pwd mini. Why does it fail to connect initially?

1Password Version: 6.8 MAS
Extension Version: 4.6.6
OS Version: macOS 10.12.6
Sync Type: Family
Referrer: forum-search:failed to connect

Comments

• @m_w,

do you happen to have multiple copies installed? It can fail to connect if the wrong version of the helper is launched by the OS.

Rudy

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member

@rudy - how could I tell?

• @m_w : you could search using Spotlight on your system for "1Password" and see if more than one app shows up. For example if you have a backup drive, it could show up on there.

If that's not it we'll probably need to get a diagnostics report from you which should hopefully shed some light on it.

Rick

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member

Right - I did that and Spotlight came back with just 1 application match:

$ mdfind kMDItemFSName=1Password.app
    /Applications/1Password.app

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @m_w,

What output do you get from running this command?

mdfind 1Password kind:Application

Thanks!

• Assuming the output you get from scott's command is just the one again, we'll probably need to see a diagnostics report. To do that, please follow the instructions on this page: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Email the report to support+forums@1password.com and include a link to this forum thread so that we can connect the dots. You should get an email back from the autoresponder letting you know that we got the email and it will include a support request id. If you could post that number here on the forum we'll be able to find the message more easily.

Thanks

Rick

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member

same result:

$ mdfind 1Password kind:Application
    /Applications/1Password.app

I'll send a report ...

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for that, @m_w, and in advance for the diagnostics report. :)

Cheers!

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member

Here's the support id: #FYZ-54848-965

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Got it, @m_w. :+1:

We'll get back to you again through email after we've looked over the diagnostics.

ref: FYZ-54848-965

• Gonefishing
    Gonefishing
    Community Member

I was having this same problem on my laptop. I'd launch 1Password from the Launchpad, I'd get a progress dialog box that eventually gave up and told me that it couldn't connect to 1Password mini. Jumping over to the Console app, I can see that 1Password (mini I presume) is continuously attempting to startup and crashing, over, and over, and over... Looking around, I see that I only have one copy of 1Password installed in /Applications/1Password 6.app. Version is 6.5.3, and it hasn't been updated since December 2016. Hmm. I don't use my laptop every day, but I believe there have been a few updates since then. On my desktop, I'm running version 6.8.1 and everything is working perfectly. Oh, rebooting did not help.

My laptop had not been updated to macOS Sierra (10.12.6), so I did that first. Now when I launch 1Password, I no longer get a progress bar, it just flat out tells me that it cannot connect to 1Password mini. (Sadly, I didn't check to see if mini was in it's start/crash/restart cycle). From some instructions on Agilebits web site, I downloaded the 1Password Troubleshooting App, and "Reset Launch Services", rebooted, and went looking for updates (via App Store app). There were none. 1Password still cannot find 1P mini. I then used the troubleshooting tool to "Create Report", but didn't email that in. (I do still have it however).

Some where else on Agilebits site, I remember reading that all I needed to do was just delete 1Password (rm -rf /Applications/1Password\ 6.app from a terminal window), then go to the App Store and reinstall it. Yep, used it before, it finds my Vault and opens it up and I'm back in business. Well, ALMOST. Now my data is READ ONLY. It wants me to purchase the license again. I've already paid for 1P3, 1P4 and 1P6, I really don't want to buy it yet again.

Back on my desktop, I pull up 1Password and look at the Software License... and press go Find License. It sends me a license for 1Password 3. No good. Back on my desktop, I open 1P and look at the section titled Software Licenses. Ah. I have an entry and attachment for 1P4 and 1P6. I opened the license file in finder and tried copying it over to my laptop, but there appears to be no way to install the license in 1Password on my laptop!!! I tried opening it with 1Password, no joy. (Right click, open with...)

Anybody have any ideas? Thank you in advance.

I love 1Password, but I just can't see paying for it again, just to get it running on my laptop.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Gonefishing -- wow, sounds like quite a journey you went on there. Sorry for the trouble! First of all, we agree -- you shouldn't have to pay for 1Password again if you have an existing purchase for a current version. Let's see what we can discover!

Frankly, you've mentioned Mac App Store purchases, as well as purchases from us (?), so because this is likely to involve license keys or other personally-identifying information, I'd like to continue this conversation via email, if that's OK with you.
    Please send us an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com, and with your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/81054/1password-failed-to-connect-to-1password-mini-every-time-i-log-into-my-imac#latest
    • Your forum username: Gonefishing

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number in the Subject line.  Please post that number here so we can track down the email and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

In your email, please include the email addresses of any purchases you may have made from us, along with a copy of the receipt from the Mac App Store, if you can find that. Thanks very much!

• Gonefishing
    Gonefishing
    Community Member

Lars -- Thank you for monitoring posts to your forum, and for your quick reply. I never got an automated reply from BitBot assistant with a support ID, maybe that is still on it's way, maybe it kicked out as SPAM on my email provider. Dunno.

However, I've managed to resolve my problem. Apparently, I've never purchased 1Password from the App store. Instead, I've only purchased it directly from AgileBits. (Why your "Find Licenses..." feature doesn't work, well, that's why I got out of software, good luck!)

How did I solve my problem? I deleted the version of 1Password that I downloaded from the Apple App store, then downloaded it directly from your WEB site. It installed in /Applications/1Password 6.app. (Hmm. Where it was originally). When I fired it off, all was well! Mini was in the task bar and I could even edit notes and logins again. (I don't know where my vault and license files are stored, but it's clearly not in /Applications/1Password.app or 1Password 6.app. Thankfully).

We switched to Mac in order to get away from the constant "hacking" it took to keep Windows Apps running. (Especially backups!) So, thanks for the trip down memory lane, (sarcastically) , and thanks for 1Password for the Mac! And thank GOD we purchased it before you required people to create accounts and store all of their private information in the cloud -- because I wouldn't be using 1P in that case.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Gonefishing - you're quite welcome! We always monitor posts here, so, while you may very well get one or more responses from a community member, you'll definitely get one from one of us. :)

Congratulations on the troubleshooting, too -- that's exactly what I was going to go looking for with the diagnostics report I asked for, but you've beaten me to the punch! License lookup on our site is a function of primarily email address. Is the email address you purchased from us under, the same as the one you're using here on the forum? If not, that would likely explain it. Whatever the case, however, I'm glad you're back up and running -- let us know if you need anything else.

One last note? We're happy to have you as a customer whether you've got a standalone license or a 1Password membership, but we're not requiring "people to create accounts and store all of their private information in the cloud." In fact, we announced the opposite of that, on our blog on the first August: standalone licenses will be available in 1Password 7.

That said, we definitely think that for the vast majority of people, a 1Password membership is the way to go -- it's not only more secure, but also much easier to setup and use. However, we're not requiring people to open 1Password accounts or store their data anywhere they don't want to. :)

• froggy56
    froggy56
    Community Member

@rudy, when you talked earlier about multiple copies of 1Password and mini not connecting, is it affected by multiple copies (and different versions) of the troubleshooting app?

I will delete them, but I'm curious …

However, with the report which I have previously sent in, nothing was mentioned about multiple copies of anything being a problem. This is my "problem number #UTP-15854-575". The last that I heard from anyone at AgileBits about this was on 30 May this year.

Cheers, Andrew

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hi @froggy56 -- no, you can have as many copies of our Troubleshooting App on your Mac as you wish; it won't affect the functioning of 1Password in the slightest.

I'm really sorry, but I was unable to find any recent correspondence from you (though I did see several much older ones), nor could I find that ticket ID number, which is exceedingly odd -- we NEVER delete old tickets, for exactly this reason -- sometimes either we or the users need to refer back to them. Are you sure you typed it correctly?

• froggy56
    froggy56
    Community Member

Hi @Lars, thanks for your reply. And thanks for confirming that the troubleshooting app in multiples won't affect the operation of 1Password.

I can confirm that I did NOT type the ticket ID correctly. I copied and pasted it, for exactly the reason you questioned me - to ensure that I didn't type it incorrectly.

Where to now? I've had a 1Password app on both my Mac Mini and also on my MacBook Pro not connecting with 1Password mini for many months now, and I was told to be patient whilst my data was added to the data of other people experiencing the same problem and that one of the developers may contact me directly.

I await your reply.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017

@froggy56 -- turns out I was able to locate your email after all, so I've replied there and we can continue the conversation that way, if that's OK with you. :)

ref: UTP-15854-575

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

This is getting worse - my wife is no longer able to use 1Password at all on her iMac (same model as mine with OS and all apps updated to latest versions).

She just keeps getting this error:

No matter how many times you press Quit and restart 1Password it just keeps coming back with this error message. Rebooting doesn't help either.

When I run /Applications/1Password.app/Contents/MacOS/1Password directly, I get this:

Last login: Thu Nov 9 09:20:18 on ttys000
    $ /Applications/1Password.app/Contents/MacOS/1Password ; exit;
    2017-11-09 09:20:18.526 1Password[818:24165] 684000 [APP:(Main Thread):] M applicationDidFinishLaunching: | Starting 1Password (AppStore) 6.8.4 #684000 built Oct 31 2017 16:20:25. Running from: /Applications/1Password.app
    2017-11-09 09:20:18.598 1Password[818:24143] Problem with helper: Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=22 "Invalid argument" UserInfo={NSURL=file:///Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper.app, NSLocalizedFailureReason=failed to load bundle}
    2017-11-09 09:20:18.617 1Password[818:24164] 684000 [XPC:(Secondary Thread 0x7fb6e4860450):] E handleXPCError: | Problem talking to the helper: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4099 "The connection to service named 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper was invalidated." UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=The connection to service named 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper was invalidated.}
    2017-11-09 09:20:19.623 1Password[818:24178] 684000 [XPC:(Secondary Thread 0x7fb6e4860450):] E handleXPCError: | Problem talking to the helper: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4099 "The connection to service named 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper was invalidated." UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=The connection to service named 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper was invalidated.}
    2017-11-09 09:20:20.622 1Password[818:24165] 684000 [XPC:(Secondary Thread 0x7fb6e2c8f800):] E handleXPCError: | Problem talking to the helper: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4099 "The connection to service named 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper was invalidated." UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=The connection to service named 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper was invalidated.}
    2017-11-09 09:20:21.622 1Password[818:24178] 684000 [XPC:(Secondary Thread 0x7fb6e4860450):] E handleXPCError: | Problem talking to the helper: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4099 "The connection to service named 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper was invalidated." UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=The connection to service named 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper was invalidated.}
    2017-11-09 09:20:22.622 1Password[818:24165] 684000 [XPC:(Secondary Thread 0x7fb6e2c8f800):] E handleXPCError: | Problem talking to the helper: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4099 "The connection to service named 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper was invalidated." UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=The connection to service named 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper was invalidated.}
    2017-11-09 09:20:22.788 1Password[818:24178] 684000 [XPC:(Main Thread):] E stopHelper | Failed to stop '2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper'
    2017-11-09 09:20:24.808 1Password[818:24161] 684000 [XPC:(Main Thread):] E stopHelper | Failed to stop '2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper'
    logout
    Saving session...
    ...copying shared history...
    ...saving history...truncating history files...
    ...completed.

[Process completed]

1Password still works one my iMac with the occasional issue as described originally in this thread.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@m_w - Sorry to hear you're having troubles just now with 1Password failing to connect to the Mini. If you've already gone through all the steps in this troubleshooting guide, then the next step would be for you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#ZJC-84343-532]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @m_w only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: ZJC-84343-532

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member

Thanks Lars - I just sent the diagnostic report.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@m_w Thanks! Someone will be with you shortly via email. :)

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member

On my computer, 1Password was still working, except for sometimes getting the "1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini" issue after booting up; but on my wife's computer 1Password has become unusable. I logged into my wife's iMac using my account and found that I couldn't use 1Password either. So I decided to remove 1Password, reboot, and reinstall it. Since then, it's all working again under my and my wife's account on her iMac.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@m_w - Thanks for the update. That's excellent news! I’d like to be able to say I’m glad I helped you get things squared away, but since you appear to have solved the problem by yourself, I can’t claim too much credit for it. :-) However, around here, we’ve learned to call a win a win whether we had a hand in it or not.

So, congratulations! Keep an eye on things and please let us know if the problem recurs or if there's anything further we can do to assist you. Otherwise, have a great week, and thanks for being a 1Password customer!

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member

I've been thinking about this issue and what I don't understand is why when 1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini the only option was to quit. Why was I not able to run 1 Password without 1Password mini? I would have preferred still being able to use 1Password and manually copying data from 1Password to my browser than not even being able to launch 1Password.

Maybe something for you to consider as an improvement to handle this situation more gracefully.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@m_w Thanks for the thoughts. Without going into too much detail, the reason likely has to do with the fact that the "brain" is located within the mini. It's called "mini" because its visible footprint is small, but a lot of the filling logic is located there; it's not as insignificant as it seems by visual inspection. Regarding future refinements and upgrades, at this particular point in time, all I can really say is: stay tuned. We've got some real goodies in the pipeline. :)

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member

:)

• :+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.