iPhone and Android device design differences

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Fingerprint Unlock support on Non-Google-Devices.

Comments

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

I am a fan of the iPhone SE, Apple's most affordable phone currently and I am researching the Xperia X Compact, the closest that I've seen price wise to a non premium Apple phone. Sony managed 4.6" in a phone almost identical in size to the 4" SE. I've read battery management isn't as good on the Sony though.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: Do you have an Android device that works with fingerprint unlock in 1Password? Manaburner was asking for feedback on which ones worked.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Not currently, no, I was attempting to point out that an iPhone doesn't have to be at the price indicated, like my SE.

As iPhones are not getting cheaper over time and the upcoming iPhone ?? will probably cost beyond €1200, I'm thinking of switching to Android.

Thanks for bringing it up that Manaburner was looking for a fingerprint reader that worked in Android.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hi

It may be useful to indicate where the fingerprint reader location is? iPhones have them in front doubling as the home button. Samsung Galaxy S8 have it behind, on the right side, next to the camera . Depending on whether you are a left or right hander, the S8 fingerprint reader may or may not pose issues with the fingerprint reading.

Sony Xperia fingerprint readers double as the power button, except in the US where the Sony Xperia does not have a fingerprint reader on the phone's edge. There apparently isn't a fingerprint reader in US Xperia X/Z models.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm not sure how that's relevant here. Certainly some folks have preferences as to the location of the fingerprint reader on devices, but that won't have any bearing on whether it's compatible with Nexus Imprint and, by extension, 1Password for Android.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty,

peri: I wanted to add on to what brenty said. While we have had reports of Fingerprint Unlock being iffy on the Galaxy S6 and S7, we've so far had only positive reports of it working well on the S8. @saad has an S8 and I don't believe he's had any trouble with Fingerprint Unlock on it. Similarly, we've had reports of it working on OnePlus devices, but that I can't respond to definitively. Maybe other users here will be able to chime in with their experience with those devices.

brenty: I'm not sure how that's relevant here. Certainly some folks have preferences as to the location of the fingerprint reader on devices, but that won't have any bearing on whether it's compatible with Nexus Imprint and, by extension, 1Password for Android.

Has anyone read the cold weather precautions for TouchID? It may have some relevance.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/touch-id-does-not-work-with-cold-and-or-dry-hands.1652541/

macworld.co.uk/how-to/iphone/touch-id-fixes-what-do-if-iphone-ipad-fingerprint-scanner-isnt-working-3489429/

Even though the discussion is for Android and App specific, there are suggestions for making two sets of fingerprints, one set for cold weather and another for hot weather. A lot of times fingerprint readers don't like cold and wet conditions.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2017
    Options

@wkleem: We're getting farther and farther off topic here, so I'm splitting your comments off into a separate discussion. If you have something to contribute, we'd love hearing from you (and I'm sure others in these discussions will too!) But please do not hijack other people's discussions by posting off-topic and trying to steer the conversation in a different direction.

I've definitely heard the advice of adding fingerprints for different seasons/conditions (folks who have their hands in and out of water all day at work — though having electronics in that environment is an entirely different issue). I used to set "winter fingerprints" for my iPhone, but haven't needed to since the newer Touch ID sensors were introduced. That seems to have made a big difference for a lot of people.

This discussion has been closed.