1password on a work Mac

rdpozo
rdpozo
Community Member

Hi,
My wife and I'm using 1password on our mac. We have decided to get a family account. But she uses a Mac that belongs to her job. So she is not the administrator on the Mac, she only has a user account. Is it safe to use 1pass on this user account. Can the administrator retrieve the password she uses to access 1password app?

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: 4.6.7
OS Version: 10..11.6
Sync Type: 1pass family

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hi, My wife and I'm using 1password on our mac. We have decided to get a family account. But she uses a Mac that belongs to her job. So she is not the administrator on the Mac, she only has a user account. Is it safe to use 1pass on this user account.

@rdpozo: I'd be willing to bet that it's probably okay to use it there...but keep in mind that it isn't my data. Ultimately that's a call only she can make, depending on her knowledge and trust of the administration.

Can the administrator retrieve the password she uses to access 1password app?

It would be difficult to do, but but we should assume that they can if they really want to. If they have admin access, they could install anything they want to have software run in the background to monitor and collect data. And it may not be malicious. I can't recall the specifics, but I believe it was just last year that a major PC manufacturer had software preinstalled which saved keystrokes and clipboard contents to a text file on the hard drive, ostensibly for diagnostic purposes. I sincerely doubt this was malicious or even intentional. But a bad actor within the company or on the outside who knew about this issue could use it to get a lot of sensitive information. The same applies to any device you don't have control over. When someone else is in charge, you're implicitly trusting them not to harm you when you use it.

I'm sorry I don't have a more definitive and positive answer for you, but I'm confident that your wife will have a much better sense of whether this is an acceptable risk for her, both in terms of the people she works for/with and the sensitivity of the data she would be storing/accessing in 1Password. I hope this information helps with that decision. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• ferthalangur
    ferthalangur
    Community Member

I am having trouble getting the installer to install on my $work computer. Install for me only is grayed out. Is there a command-line flag to the installer to force it to install in my local Applications folder?

Thanks,

rob

• ferthalangur
    ferthalangur
    Community Member

I should have added the following information: installer name: 1Password-6.8.pkg. Operating system: MacOS Sierra, Model ID iMac17,1 System Version macOS 10.12.6 (16G29) , Kernel Darwin 16.7.0

• Hi @ferthalangur,

My recommendation in that case would be to download 1Password for Mac from the Mac App Store. I believe it'll be able to install it in ~/Applications for you.

If that doesn't work, let us know and we'll figure something else out.

Rick

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ferthalangur,

Install for me only is grayed out.

Even though it's grayed out / disabled, I'm curious if you tried clicking there. I've sometimes seen Install for me only appear to be disabled with package installers when it can actually be enabled. Maybe (hopefully!) in this case that'll work for you, too!

This discussion has been closed.