Opening 1Password extension shows a blank window

I've noticed an issue that seems to be happening intermittently and I'm hoping I can help track down the root cause. Randomly, I will unlock my vault and it get stuck on a blank window. I try to wait it out to see if it is possibly loading something, but that doesn't seem to do anything. I tried restarting Chrome and it seems that has fixed the issue for now.

My question is (maybe more of a general chrome extension Q) - is there any way to track down the logs to see if it is throwing some sort of error there? Should I look at the Chrome logs? Would the Chrome web tools show anything useful in cases like this one?

1Password Version: 0.7.7
Extension Version: 0.7.7
OS Version: ArchLinux
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2017

Hey @sarkis,

Welcome to the Support Forum! I have seen something similar to what you are describing, and it was happening due to an issue while unlocking. Next time you see this, you might see errors in the console output from the 1Password extension.

Here's how you can view any logged output from the extension:
    1. In Chrome, select the Window menu > Extensions.
    2. Enable the Developer Mode checkbox at the top-right.
    3. Click the background page link for the 1Password extension.
    4. In the new Developer Tools window, click Console.

Here's an example of some errors that were output:

Please note some items may contain personal information like your email address, sign-in address, and account or item UIDs. If you would like to send us a complete copy of your console output, please email it to linux@1password.com.

I look forward to seeing what you find.

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• sarkis
    sarkis
    Community Member

Thanks @beyer - as I look at the console, I'm seeing 401s on one of the 1password.com teams that I belong to, would it be useful to share this or I assume it may just be a permissions issue? I'll keep an eye on the logs next time I get the blank window and report that here.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Please do! This sort of thing happens sometimes on restrictive networks or with "security" software interfering, but it's definitely weird if you're only getting errors for one team as opposed to anything at 1Password.com.

• sarkis
    sarkis
    Community Member

I just hit this bug - sent a full dump of the console from developer tools to linux@1password.com

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@sarkis: Received, Thank you! I'm in the process of hunting down a few bugs and added this to my list today.

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• sarkis
    sarkis
    Community Member

I should have mentioned it in the e-mail with the logs - but the workaround that I've found has been to completely shutdown Chrome and start it back up... it's possible I am "fat fingering" my password - i tend to do it a lot, I'll try and see if it may be related to that later today and report back if I can figure out the steps to get it to this state.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@sarkis: From the times I've seen this, I do believe there might've been a correlation to me entering a wrong Master Password. However, when entering a wrong Master Password, you should see a Master Password is incorrect. error instead of a blank screen. I'll work on getting to the bottom of this!

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• sarkis
    sarkis
    Community Member

@beyer I think that I have it narrowed down even further... it seems to start happening after the 30 min auto lock.. I'm going to try and decrease this to 5 mins now and re-test to see if it's something to do with that specific longer lock setting I have it set to...

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@sarkis: That's interesting, I have yet to find a correlation between the auto lock time expiring and this issue. Nevertheless, I've forwarded the errors you see to some smarter folks than I, and I'm sure we will get this fixed in a coming release. Thanks again for your help and please do let us know if you see anything else.

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• sarkis
    sarkis
    Community Member

@beyer yea likely not related... thank you so much, really happy with the product, even in Alpha - this is making my linux life so much easier :)

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@sarkis: Thanks! Everything I wrote here applies, but seriously helping people get the most out of 1Password is why we wake up in the morning (or in my case stay up late). :) :+1:

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• Jochemdeen
    Jochemdeen
    Community Member

I also just received a blank window. The only way to get 1password running again was to reboot chrome. Unfortunately I couldn't reproduce the error so I don't know what caused it...

the only thing I know is I opened 1password to fill in a password, it didn't fill it in. So I clicked 1password again, then I had to re-enter my credentials, after that blank window. If it happens again I will try to send the console output!

Best!
    Jochem

Chrome Version 59.0.3071.115
    1password 0.77
    OS Ubuntu 17.04

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Hey @jochemdeen,

I can confirm this is a bug that we are currently tracking. We don't have a fix yet but I can reproduce it, and I'll post an update once we get it resolved. As of right now, the only workaround I've found is relaunching Chrome. Thanks for your support!

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• peterjaap
    peterjaap
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

I have this issue too sometimes and what works for me is disabling & enabling the extension from the Extensions page in Chrome.

Well, that does not solve the underlying issue of course but it gets my stuff going again :)

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Hey @peterjaap,

Thanks for the tip on disabling & enabling, that's way easier than what I've been doing. @dteare and I had the opportunity to sit down yesterday and talk about the future of 1Password for Chrome, which is super exciting! We will hopefully have this fixed soon, and I can't wait till you see some of our other features we will be adding.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your week. :)

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• berto
    berto
    Community Member

A couple more things. For me, unlocking the vault takes "forever". I got bored and went to another tab. Boom; blank screen.

It appears that stealing focus from the 1P "windowlette" when it's unlocking will cause a blank screen.

Also, because I didn't want to lose all my tabs, I went into chrome://extensions and toggled the enabled button. That kicked it back to life. :)

Thanks.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@berto: We've managed to figure out the cause of what I'm calling the "White Screen of Death". I can't promise it will be fixed in the next build but we are on it. Thanks for your support!

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• sarkis
    sarkis
    Community Member

This looks to be resolved as of 8.0.0 - I haven't been able to reproduce - great work and thank you!

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@sarkis: Awesome! :+1:

Version 0.8.1 included a few additional changes to help resolve our "White Screen of Death," and I'm super thankful we've made progress here. I'd like to give a big round of applause to @dteare since he dedicated a good chunk of his weekend tackling this issue. He has sure made my life easier!

Thanks for giving us a quick update, please let us know if you run into anything else. :)

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• srcoder
    srcoder
    Community Member

So, it still exists, I've created a screenshot of the error that occurs...

Hope it helps....

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@srcoder: Thank you for the screenshot.

I'm going pass it on to @dteare after I take a peek and see what's causing this.

I greatly appreciate your help! <3

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• matt_horwood_mayden
    matt_horwood_mayden
    Community Member

Great work on a chrome plugin that works, I have tested on Debian with Chrome and Opera (I know how uses that). Google Chrome works fine, but Opera has a white page and in the debug an error
    screen shot
    Could this be fixed? as that would help me move off Windows!

Also, can I share this with a work colleague?

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Hey @matt_horwood_mayden,

Thanks for joining the 1Password for Chrome beta!

1Password for Chrome is being developed for Google Chrome 58 or later. Although it does work in other Chrome based browsers now, we aren't quite to a place where we are focusing on other browsers. Supporting other browsers like Opera is absolutely a possibility for the future, but I'm not in a position to give any guarantees of when or if that will happen. I took a very quick peek at this error, and it looks like Opera is having an issue with some of the chrome.tab methods we are using.

As for your work colleague, he is welcome to sign up for the beta, and I'll grant him access to this section of the forum as well.

Let me know if you have any additional questions and have a great week!

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.