To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Request: Add friendly names for Authorized Devices

toeggi
toeggi
Community Member

Hi! I would love to have the ability to add my own "friendly names" for my authorized devices under my profile. Makes it a bit easier to see if everything's ok at a glance.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@toeggi: I too would love this, and it may be something we introduce in the future. But I think there are some practical problems with going that route:

• Having to manage the device names (annoying)
    • Having to do the same for individual browser instances across different devices (confusing), or have those be exempt (unhelpful)
    • Having to try to remember/recognize these names later on for identification

I know this will vary from person to person, but the vast majority of my "authorized devices" are web browsers, many on the same machine. I've stopped futzing with this since it does require time and effort for not much reward, if any.

Ultimately I think that verifying each device authorization as it happens when the email notification comes in is a more sane approach (and we've recently made improvements to these), but we'll certainly continue to consider other options for the future as well. Thanks for the feedback! :)

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

Would it be possible to submit the computer name that is used when logging in or does 1Password either in the browser or on the desktop not have this info? It has at least the operating system info right?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Manaburner: The things that sucks is that this is handled differently depending on the OS and/or browser. I'll get different results depending on if I boot my Mac into Windows or macOS. Some are pretty good about this and usable "device names" can be gotten this way at times, but in many cases it's something like "X64", "Windows.Desktop", or just a version/model number. Windows is particularly bad about this, though Apple won't win any awards either. I had a tablet which always reported as "suntory", which I guess was a manufacturing codename for the device or something. Not particularly helpful until I learned to recognize that. lol

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

Well S**t ;) Ok that sounds really annoying indeed.
    This may sound a bit wild, but could the computer name info be submitted via the 1Password extension? What I mean is when you have installed it, it updates the info for the device when you sign in with the browser? Or is it not possible for it to interact with the 1Password.com "website application" in the unlocked state?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Manaburner: Whether we're doing it via the browser or app, the trouble is pulling a useable, human-friendly identifier. It may be something that will improve on the OS/browser side over time (it really has) or we could figure out some clever way to do it differently...but right now it seems like we'd have to do something like ask the user to enter a name for the device, and that's just a nuisance. You also raise a good point. Currently I don't think it's possible for the info to be updated in our system once the device is registered, so that's probably something we'd need to address first. But honestly this isn't a high priority currently given both the little feedback we've received and the challenges we face in improving it in useful ways. Drives me nuts too though. :tongue:

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

@brenty Yes, it's just a cosmetic issue for sure. I kind of wanted to add my 2 cents to the request. :) I would appreciate to see it coming, but I too think there are other more important things to implement for 1Password.com and the apps .

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Totally. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this! :) :+1:

• fryrpc
    fryrpc
    Community Member

+1
    I noticed an "Unknown Device" in my Authorized list - turns out it was me logging in using the browser part of the IOS 1password app. So that led me to look to see if I could add a friendly name to it so I would recognize it in the future. Whilst I was in there I realized that some of the other authorized devices would benefit from me adding a friendly name to them. Things like "Test1" and "Chrome" are not particularly helpful.

• Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on this, @fryrpc. Hopefully this is something we can address in the future.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.