Raise limit or remove limit for auto-lock

Options

Hi,

Can we raise the auto-lock limit or remove the limit at all? I can now put in a maximum of 30 minutes, which annoys me. I want to put in 8 hours so I don't have to unlock again during my workday. The Mac app did this. Maybe you can add a warning when somebody sets the autolock to above 30 minutes.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 0.7.6
OS Version: Ubuntu
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• dteare
    edited July 2017
    Options

Thanks for bringing this up, @peterjaap! When we picked 30 as the maximum I thought this might become a discussion point :)

When we picked 30 minutes as the maximum we had in mind that this time is based on computer activity (mouse & keyboards) and not simply when 1Password was last unlocked or used. So at 30 minutes I wouldn't expect you to need to unlock 1Password very often – I'm guessing in the morning and after lunch would be the only times?

I really don't want to make the autolock time too much bigger than 30 as it greatly increases the likelihood of someone finding your machine unlocked and being able to access your passwords. With that said, perhaps you can twist my arm with a good counter argument :)

• peterjaap
    peterjaap
    Community Member
    Options

But does it measure activity in the browser or the whole machine? I'm usually deep in my IDE for hours so I might be logged out by that time, but I'm still behind my computer.

• dteare
    Options

It's for your whole machine.

• peterjaap
    peterjaap
    Community Member
    Options

Ok then I just went the toilet for a while or something when I noticed this, haha :) You can close this now.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Awesome @peterjaap, we appreciate you raising the question. If you have any additional questions or feedback, please don't hesitate to post them here.

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• northys
    northys
    Community Member
    Options

@beyer Hi there, I'm afraid it does not work correctly because I'm unlocking the vault almost everytime I want to fill credentials and I have set 30 minutes limit. This is kinda weird since I am a programmer who uses laptop 26 hours a day :pirate:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@dteare is measured by the activity on the machine? Mine will time out after 10 minutes (what I have it set for) of even being on the browser for 30 minutes to an hour.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@northys / @prime: I appreciate you letting us know you're having issues with the Auto-Lock settings. I wasn't able to immediately reproduce this issue on my end. Can you please let me know what flavor of Linux you are running as well as the version of Chrome you have installed. Thanks!

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

I have Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
    Version 59.0.3071.115 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I've played with Vivaldi, and have no idea how to find what version I am on.. yet haha

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@prime: Thanks for letting me know, I will try to reproduce this issue using a similar configuration to yours.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

Vivaldi

Vivaldi 1.10.867.46 (Stable channel) (64-bit)

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks! :+1:

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• northys
    northys
    Community Member
    Options

@beyer
    Chrome: Version 59.0.3071.115 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    Ubuntu 17.04 - pure unity, haven't done any customization

• dteare
    Options

FYI in case it helps track this issue down: we're relying on the chrome.idle api whose docs say:

Fired when the system changes to an active, idle or locked state. The event fires with "locked" if the screen is locked or the screensaver activates, "idle" if the system is unlocked and the user has not generated any input for a specified number of seconds, and "active" when the user generates input on an idle system.

AFAIK it's supposed to be system activity, not activity within Chrome. I'm not sure why this wouldn't be working but I assume there are different implementations on different systems and so it's very possible Linux behaves differently. Of course I might be misunderstanding the docs, albeit "idle system" sounds like the OS and not Chrome. :)

• northys
    northys
    Community Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

@dteare so it locks every time I go to help my coworker, make a cup of coffee or go to the toilet because we all must lock our computers at work for security reasons. In the desktop version, it is possible to do not lock 1password when screensaver/lock screen activates. I would really appreciate this feature in extension too because it is much slower (due to technical design, I know) to unlock it. Waiting 4-6seconds few times an hour is pretty annoying.

Please, let us ignore the lock screen/screensaver and also it would be good to extend the time. It is possible in desktop, therefore I do not see any reasonable argument to not increase or remove the limit. Should someone tell me what is good to me? Communism has fallen in our country 30 years ago :angry: If I want to have 3 days limit then it would be possible. Maybe some warning could be displayed to notify the customer about the possible security risk.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2017
    Options

@northys: I haven't been able to recreate the 1Password extension locking after entering the lock screen or screensaver on Ubuntu as you've described (assuming the auto-lock time hasn't elapsed). I've been testing this on a fresh install of Ubuntu 17.04 using Chome Version 59.0.3071.115 (Official Build) (64-bit).

As for our auto-lock timing and settings, we haven't made any final decisions yet, and we will certainly look at all feedback collected before doing so. You will see the settings page evolve throughout the development process to include more customization.

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• dteare
    Options

Thank you for the video! I love how phones have completely changed how we do debugging nowadays :)

The behaviour in your video is how it's supposed to be. I want 1Password to lock (and delete everything it knows like decryption keys, etc) when the system locks. We can certainly talk about preferences to control this behaviour, but this is indeed what I want by default.

Now the question is why @beyer isn't seeing the same thing you are. We'll need to dig into that. Thankfully I'll be seeing him in person really soon and will be able to discuss that :)

Thanks again for the video!

• northys
    northys
    Community Member
    Options

@dteare is there any way which I could help you? actually... it works until the screen turns off but I understand that it depends on chrome.something event and that it has nothing in common with your code. could you please add a checkbox to disable it? please! it is possible in desktop app I don't see any reason why not to enable it on laptop :( it would be 99% more usable in compare to the situation now.

• mkasu
    mkasu
    Community Member
    Options

I think this is a sane default setting! Other options are appreciated (see the other thread with ideas like fingerprint or PIN login.)

I'm not sure if the auto-lock works for me. It feels I need to put in my password pretty regular. But then, the system lock on my workstation is only like 5 minutes, so every time I talk to a collegue it gets locked and I need my 1Password password again :unamused:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yeah, I think we will need to this to be configurable in the future, but for now we want to make sure that we've got a good foundation with everything working as it should before we add a bunch more stuff. Thanks so much for the feedback on this! :)

• tetious
    tetious
    Community Member
    Options

My guess is that by configurable you mean similar flexibility to what is in the desktop app? Because this is a vote for that. :)

Highly secure defaults are important, but letting the user decide when it is okay to relax them is just as important. I work from home, so I really only want things to lock when the browser closes or I've been away many hours. There is nobody else here except the cats, and they have permission to use all my accounts. ;)

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2018
    Options

@tetious: First, let me just say that cat comment made me laugh out loud (literally).

I get where you're coming from, and we will adjust and add more option as needed. 1Password for Chrome is young, and we always focus on security first, so you'll find stricter defaults and options. We have raised our auto-lock limit to 300 minutes, but we will certainly evaluate the feedback we receive and adjust as needed.

I do greatly appreciate you adding your vote here – Have a great week!

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@tetious that was awesome!
    @beyer, that's great! I'll have to play with it some more.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2017
    Options

Sounds good! :) :+1:

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.