Beta 4 (Android O Autofill) feedback

EnerJi
EnerJi
Community Member

Congrats on delivering this much-anticipated feature! Very excited to be able to test it.

One quick question: is the Android O autofill feature supposed to work in Chrome, or only in apps? I tried three different websites (including Facebook and Twitter) and autofill is not detected on any of them. (To be clear, I left the "Accessibility" and 1PW Keyboard fill options disabled and am only using the new Autofill service.)

I did try adding an account to my Twitter app, and it detected and filled flawlessly. Awesome!

I did notice one small UI quirk when filling in the Twitter app. I have two Twitter accounts, and instead of prompting me as to which account I wanted to fill, a box popped up saying I had multiple matches (or words to that effect). I had to tap on the prompt, and only then was I shown my two Twitter accounts and was able to select which account to fill.

I understand including some kind of overflow prompt for someone who has a very large number of accounts that might not fit cleanly, but it seems unnecessary to require an extra tap for a small number of accounts. Might be an Android API limitation, but thought I would mention it.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• deviantintegral
    deviantintegral
    Community Member

What about other autofill browsers? Having seamless autofill in Firefox or Samsung's browser would have me wiping my Lineage OS install for the O beta, battery life be damned!

Anyways, a list somewhere of what is expected to work (and not) would be great to see.

• burn123
    burn123
    Community Member
    edited August 2017

Similarly, if there is only one account, it would be nice if it just autofilled it, without having to tap the single account

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I did notice one small UI quirk when filling in the Twitter app. I have two Twitter accounts, and instead of prompting me as to which account I wanted to fill, a box popped up saying I had multiple matches (or words to that effect). I had to tap on the prompt, and only then was I shown my two Twitter accounts and was able to select which account to fill.

@EnerJi: Thanks for the kind words, and your feedback on this! Good call. We'll see what we can do to improve this.

Similarly, if there is only one account, it would be nice if it just autofilled it, without having to tap the single account

@burn123: Good point. I think there's still a case to be made for the user explicitly telling 1Password to fill that login, but it's certainly something we can consider. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

What about other autofill browsers? Having seamless autofill in Firefox or Samsung's browser would have me wiping my Lineage OS install for the O beta, battery life be damned! Anyways, a list somewhere of what is expected to work (and not) would be great to see.

@deviantintegral: Thanks for the feedback! You and others here might find my overview of this in another discussion helpful:

Beta for Android O and autofill?

Ultimately what we're waiting for is apps themselves to support OpenYOLO. This is similar to iOS extensions in a way, but a bit nicer since they do not have to explicitly app 1Password support; rather, they integrate Google's SDK and 1Password and other apps which use the APIs will "just work". And even older Android devices will be able to benefit in this case.

Android O Autofill is second best for two reasons: it only works on Android O, and while it doesn't require app integration it isn't as seamless either. It's a good fallback though since it can work nearly anywhere on Android O, and is fully supported by the OS, different to the accessibility methods we've had to rely on in the past.

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback on this! We're not there yet, but it's an exciting start. Looking forward to more! :chuffed:

• Lyman
    Lyman
    Community Member

Can you tell us in what situations the new Autofill will work and how to use it?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Lyman: Essentially when Android O detects the there is a form that can be filled, 1Password can offer its services (similar to the video in the blog post I linked earlier). That's Android O Autofill. The other thing is OpenYOLO, which compatible apps can use to ask the OS (all the way back to 4.1) for 1Password to fill. Android O Autofill makes it possible to use 1Password to fill in many places in a supported fashion, and OpenYOLO allows apps to explicitly allow more integration for an even more seamless experience. Cheers! :)

• Lyman
    Lyman
    Community Member

@brenty It's there a button or something I should be seeing if it's working?

• revanmj
    revanmj
    Community Member
    edited August 2017

Before 1Pass Autofill, I used Google's one and did not have any issues with it.

But I can't find a way for 1Pass to show me logins from websites to use in apps (I even changed item to have the same name as app, still nothing). I think, It would be best if I could manually search all items with login and password, just like when using keyboard before.

Also, 1Pass annoyingly keeps showing its tooltip in when search field in Google Inbox app is in focus (Google's autofill didn't do that).

• Thanks for the feedback so far everyone! Let me try to respond to some of the questions and comments inline below (although not necessarily in the order in which they were asked)...

Is there a button or something I should be seeing if it's working?

When 1Password detects login fields in an app, one of the following should happen when one of the text fields is focused:

• If 1Password is locked, then an "Autofill with 1Password" prompt will be displayed. Tapping on that will bring up a dialog for unlocking 1Password. Once unlocked, 1Password will display any matching logins.
    • If 1Password is unlocked, then any matching logins will be displayed in a dropdown list.

I have two Twitter accounts, and instead of prompting me as to which account I wanted to fill, a box popped up saying I had multiple matches (or words to that effect). I had to tap on the prompt, and only then was I shown my two Twitter accounts and was able to select which account to fill.

When attempting to match logins to apps through Autofill, 1Password first checks to see if any logins are linked to the app by its signature. These are considered to be exact matches and are shown right away. 1Password also checks to see if there are any logins with URLs that correspond to the package name of the app. These are considered to be possible matches and are only shown after you tap "View all matches".

In the current beta, the only way to link a login to an app so that it shows up as an exact match is to save a new login with Autofill. We're planning on updating Autofill so that filling an existing login will also link it to the app. Stay tuned for that change in an upcoming beta update.

is the Android O autofill feature supposed to work in Chrome, or only in apps?

Autofill is currently supported only in apps. We're hoping that Chrome and other browsers will add support in the near future. Once they do, you can bet that we'll be updating 1Password's Autofill implementation to work there as well.

But I can't find a way for 1Pass to show me logins from websites to use in apps (I even changed item to have the same name as app, still nothing). I think, It would be best if I could manually search all items with login and password, just like when using keyboard before.

Although we don't currently support searching for items in Autofill, it is something that we're considering adding in a future update. For now though, logins are matched to apps using the two methods I mentioned above. If the app's package name isn't derived from the reverse domain name of the URL in the login, then it won't match based on package name.

1Pass annoyingly keeps showing its tooltip in when search field in Google Inbox app is in focus (Google's autofill didn't do that).

Thanks for pointing that out. I haven't seen that anywhere else, but I was able to reproduce the issue in Inbox. We'll have to look into that to determine why the Autofill prompt is showing up there.

Please feel free to keep the feedback and suggestions coming!

• revanmj
    revanmj
    Community Member

As for the matching apps to domains - could you also remove any "-" characters from domains and then try reverse domain matching? In my case issue is that domain is x-kom.pl and app package is pl.xkom so it does not match.

• Good suggestion, @revanmj! Thanks. I'll pass this along to the team!

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member

Hi @mverde, thanks for jumping in with some detailed information. I have a few follow-up questions, if you don't mind:

In the current beta, the only way to link a login to an app so that it shows up as an exact match is to save a new login with Autofill.

How does one go about saving a new login with Autofill?

We're planning on updating Autofill so that filling an existing login will also link it to the app. Stay tuned for that change in an upcoming beta update.

I'm curious as to how this will work in the case where there are multiple logins for one app (i.e. in the case of my multiple Twitter accounts.) It sounds like the first login used will be linked to an app, but will there still be the ability to autofill multiple accounts on the same app?

Autofill is currently supported only in apps. We're hoping that Chrome and other browsers will add support in the near future. Once they do, you can bet that we'll be updating 1Password's Autofill implementation to work there as well.

Is this simply a matter of the browsers needing to target the 'O' SDK and they get "Autofiill" for free, or is there more to it? I downloaded Canary for Android just to experiment and was disappointed to find that Autofill doesn't work on Canary, which could mean that support for Chrome stable is at least several months away. :/

For now though, logins are matched to apps using the two methods I mentioned above. If the app's package name isn't derived from the reverse domain name of the URL in the login, then it won't match based on package name.

I hope you will consider improving this in a future release. A large number of my apps don't match automatically based on package name (based on my experience with the Accessibility/Keyboard based filling) and I was hoping that the new "Autofill" service would solve this by providing a way to manually select and then "remember" accounts used to Autofill.

• I'll do my best to answer your questions @EnerJi :)

How does one go about saving a new login with Autofill?

If you manually type in credentials into login fields that 1Password has detected, you will be asked by the Autofill service if you want to save those credentials in 1Password. If you choose to save them, 1Password will present you with a save dialog.

I'm curious as to how this will work in the case where there are multiple logins for one app (i.e. in the case of my multiple Twitter accounts.) It sounds like the first login used will be linked to an app, but will there still be the ability to autofill multiple accounts on the same app?

You can link as many logins to an app as you would like. The "link" is based on the app signature and tells 1Password that you have previously confirmed that this particular login item is associated with this particular app. If you link 3 different Twitter accounts by filling each of them in, then all three will show up as exact matches in future sign ins.

Is this simply a matter of the browsers needing to target the 'O' SDK and they get "Autofiill" for free, or is there more to it?

It's not as quite as simple for browsers to support Autofill as it is for apps. Most apps will get Autofill support for free, since the necessary hooks for the Autofill framework are built into the native UI elements that those apps use. Browsers aren't displaying web pages with native UI elements though, so they need to "virtualize" the HTML forms and provide those virtualized elements to the Autofill framework. We're hoping that this won't take too long for browsers to implement and we're planning on reaching out to browser vendors to encourage them in this work.

A large number of my apps don't match automatically based on package name (based on my experience with the Accessibility/Keyboard based filling) and I was hoping that the new "Autofill" service would solve this by providing a way to manually select and then "remember" accounts used to Autofill.

Yes, we're planning on improving this. I can't go into detail about those plans yet, but it involves a multi-pronged approach that should significantly improve matching between apps and URLs.

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member

@mverde

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing these features progress in future beta versions. Too bad browser support is a bit more involved.

For the immediate future, it seems to make the most sense for Android O users to keep the Accessibility service and 1PW keyboard active for browser-based logins, and then use the new Android O Autofill for apps, except those apps that add support for YOLO. Then, once browsers eventually gain support for Android O Autofill, users can "retire" use of the 1PW Keyboard and Accessibility service.

Is that a good summary? Please let me know if I've missed anything.

• That sounds about right, @EnerJi. As time goes on, we'll be able to stop relying so heavily on the keyboard and accessibility service, but it will definitely help with browser for the time being.

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member

Thanks @peri. Some more feedback:

1Pass annoyingly keeps showing its tooltip in when search field in Google Inbox app is in focus (Google's autofill didn't do that).

Thanks for pointing that out. I haven't seen that anywhere else, but I was able to reproduce the issue in Inbox. We'll have to look into that to determine why the Autofill prompt is showing up there.

Since updating to Beta 5, I've also noticed the Autofill popup also occurs in the search field for YouTube, and after minimizing the app with some text still in the search field, I was prompted whether I wanted to save a password to 1Password. However, I've been unable to recreate this reliably.

I've also experienced the same Autofill popup in Google Inbox that @revanmj reported.

• Daniel_Romero
    Daniel_Romero
    Community Member

When using the autofill feature, on the newest beta update, if the app does not find a specific login for the app it gives you no option to go through all your logins like the keyboard would normally do. Adding a button that opens your vault to manually look for the login would be beneficial.

• revanmj
    revanmj
    Community Member

Since updating to Beta 5, I've also noticed the Autofill popup also occurs in the search field for YouTube, and after minimizing the app with some text still in the search field, I was prompted whether I wanted to save a password to 1Password. However, I've been unable to recreate this reliably.

I've also experienced the same Autofill popup in Google Inbox that @revanmj reported.

In Beta 5 I also got Autofill popup while typing in Nova Launcher search field.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@EnerJi, @Daniel_Romero, @revanmj: Thanks for letting us know! We'll see if we can track down these issues and find a workaround. The feedback is greatly appreciated! :)

• Stanzilla
    Stanzilla
    Community Member

It does not seem to work in WebViews or Chrome Custom Tabs. I get no popup at all.

• revanmj
    revanmj
    Community Member

It does not seem to work in WebViews or Chrome Custom Tabs. I get no popup at all.

It was said before, that Autofill API only works in native text fields for now. Browsers (that includes WebViews and Chrome Custom Tabs) must implement support for this.

• Thanks for the reply to @Stanzilla's question, @revanmj. Indeed, we hope this will be supported in the future. :)

This discussion has been closed.