Sharing some initial thoughts and positive feedback

Options

Thought I would chime in and put my two cents in regarding this beta of the Chrome extension of 1Password, which brings the application to the Chrome OS and Linux platforms. While I understand that this is a beta and not all of the features have been fully fleshed out, I am very impressed with what is available so far. This extension is a game changer. My employer frowns upon installing unapproved programs on their desktop and laptops, so sneaking an install of 1Password isn't necessarily the most ethical action I've taken with corporate property. I now have 1Password available on my work PC, home PC (dual boot between Windows and Xubuntu), and my Chromebook. No more sloppy workarounds to utilize my complex passwords on unsupported devices. It just works. Whatever I've thrown at the extension in my daily use it has kept up with. No crashes, no errors. Just a polished product.

Thank you for (1) allowing me into the beta and (2) for making this product available for testing.

off-topic (ish) - really envious of the visual appeal of the macOS version of 1Password over the Windows app. Wish there was some uniformity among the various platforms to make them appear as one happy family.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: version 0.8.3
OS Version: Chrome OS, Linux
Sync Type: 1password.com

Comments

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello, @swille81!

Thanks for all the kind words – reading posts like yours, turn a good day into an awesome day!

I'm having a hard time deciding which of these two statements I like better:

This extension is a game changer.

It just works.

Regardless, I completely agree, and the best part is we are just getting started.

Thank you for (1) allowing me into the beta and (2) for making this product available for testing.

You're very welcome, and likewise, thanks for joining the beta and our Support Forum!

off-topic (ish) - really envious of the visual appeal of the macOS version of 1Password over the Windows app. Wish there was some uniformity among the various platforms to make them appear as one happy family.

I would actually argue that macOS, in general, looks better than Windows. :tongue: That being said, I can see where you are coming from. Phrased differently, 1Password 6 for Mac is exceptionally beautiful. <3

We are working very hard to bring the same beauty and feature list to all of our client applications, but these things do take time. 1Password 6 for Windows was created from scratch (in a relatively short period of time) to use the latest and greatest technologies Microsoft had to offer. Doing a full redesign means some aspects (like security) were prioritized. However, we are already dropping some hints about 1Password 7 (included with your 1Password membership), and I think you'll be impressed with some of the changes.

Speaking of design, have you seen the new 1Password.com? I LOVE it!

AgileBits Blog | Take a tour of the new 1Password.com

Thanks again for taking the time to write this post. Let us know if you do end up having any issues.

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• swille81
    swille81
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I was pleasantly surprised to see an updated design on 1Password.com.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Great! :) :+1:

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• Stefan Schweizer
    Stefan Schweizer
    Community Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Because the title of this post says initial thoughts and positive feedback my first short experience is the same as the OPs. I got a chromebook for quite some time (only a secondary device, my macbook is still my primary) but I use it a lot when around the house and not in my office or travelling and so on. Not having 1Password available there was a real inconvenience and I had to start using chromes password manager (yes I do encrypt with a pre-shared-key all my synced data) but never really liked the idea. But this now makes my life so much easier.
    Re installation. Was dead simple as expected from you guys. Look forward being on the beta team and if I notice anything I will let you know. Thanks for allowing me in the beta. It is appreciated.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Stefan%20Schweizer,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your positive experiences! :+1:

The whole reason we are running this private beta (which isn't something we historically do), is to help out the many people like yourself who are stuck without 1Password on certain devices. Every day I get to see quite a few more people have a slightly easier time being secure online, which is a really good reason for me to get out of bed in the morning. ;)

Re installation. Was dead simple as expected from you guys.

I'm glad you mentioned that because it's not something I think about often, but it is one aspect I really like. I'm a firm believer that we are working on something that will be game changing when it comes to easily deploying 1Password in a corporate environment.

Thanks again for stopping by and have a great weekend! :)

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• Harlie
    Harlie
    Community Member
    Options

Hello from Germany,

first look with Beta 0.8.4 with Chrome 60.0.3112.80.
    It works fine, at this moment no problem.

Greeting

Jan

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• sarusi
    sarusi
    Community Member
    Options

This is a great feature.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @Harlie and @sarusi,

Welcome to the 1Password for Chrome beta. I'm delighted to see you made it over here, thanks for your initial feedback!

Please let us know if you run into any major issues. :) :+1:

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @Harlie and @sarusi,

Welcome to the 1Password for Chrome beta. I'm delighted to see you made it over here, thanks for your initial feedback!

Please let us know if you run into any major issues. :) :+1:

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• phantaszm
    phantaszm
    Community Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Love the design! Transition animations are nice, keyboard navigation is totally awesome and the expanding panes feel so much more intuitive than the (dare I say 'legacy') Mac and Windows extension! Plus, mapping to Ctrl+Period out of the box was a nice touch.

And OTP autofilling was so exciting, that I hunted down several OTP enabled accounts just to play with that feature :smile:

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@phantaszm: Welcome to the 1Password for Chrome beta!

Thanks for all your kind words, you've managed to talk about a different feature that each developer has worked on, so we all have smiles on our face. :)

@dteare is especially proud of the OTP filling, and I can't blame him for that. :+1:

We have a few (ok a lot) of cool ideas in development, so if you like what we have now, you'll love what it in a couple of months.

Thanks again for joining us on this journey and have a great week!

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• Harlie
    Harlie
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

for a long time, i use 1password on my MacOS at work and at home. Yes, I love the design on MacOS (Mac User for 20 years)....
    And on my Android devices (Handy, Tablet).

And now I can use it on my ChromeBook "on the road" and my Linux System at work. Perfect!

Greetings

Jan (Harlie)

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for your kind feedback and especially thanks for using 1Password!

The team and I are delighted to help bring 1Password to Linux and Chrome OS. :)

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.