Chrome extension: click and nothing happens

Options
marcellom
marcellom
Community Member

Hi,

Recently I've had this problem: the 1pass extensions stops working on Chrome. I click on the keylock icon and nothing happens, the window won't open.

When I close the browser and reopen suddenty everything works fine.

How can I fix?

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: 4.6.9.90
OS Version: OS X Sierra 10.12.6 (16G29)
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• djh
    djh
    Community Member
    Options

I have been experiencing exactly the same issue, with the same setup - 1PW 6.8 (680015), extension 4.6.9.90, OSX 10.12.6.
    It's most annoying to have to keep restarting Chrome to 'fix' this. Is there anything I can provide to help diagnose this?

• rudy
    Options

@djh,

Unfortunately when Chrome does its live auto-update it causes its runtime code signature to become invalid. The only way to resolve that is to relaunch Chrome.

Rudy

• geowyn
    geowyn
    Community Member
    Options

I am also having the same problem. It seems to happen once every day or so... do not remember this happening until recently. could this be a change in how often Chrome is pushing updates? It is a bit of an interruption in my workflow... hoping there is a solution other than frequent restarts. maybe I'll try using Safari for a bit.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2017
    Options

@geowyn: I haven't noticed an increase in Chrome updates. They seem to be once every couple weeks or so. However, I have encountered cases where Chrome tries to update and fails. So if that happens, it could be getting itself into a state where every time you use it it has a pending update which it cannot complete for some reason. Have you tried installing a fresh copy of Chrome to rule that out? Also, are there any other clues you notice about the timing, in case there's another cause entirely?

• trevorlynnsmith
    trevorlynnsmith
    Community Member
    Options

This has been happening to me as well – around once a day the Chrome 1Password extension stops working (showing the text "Add Chrome Extension...") until I restart Chrome. I'm on the stable channel, and I've verified that Chrome isn't updating more frequently that usual – my last update was August 14th. I tried reinstalling Chrome as well, to no avail.

Any other suggestions? Is there a way I can check to see if the code signature is changing?

• jb510
    jb510
    Community Member
    Options

I've been having this as well for at least a week, maybe two...

Restarting Chrome does fix it for a few hours, but it reoccurs more than daily. I've found that deactivating and reactivating the extension chrome://extensions without actually restarting Chrome also works.

Note: I haven't been asked to revalidate the PIN through all this like I normally need to after Chrome updates, so I don't think it's Chrome updating in the background.

Note 2: Sometimes it seems like 1Password mini doesn't fully crash but rather just becomes extremely slow and non-responsive (ie. click the icon and wait 5 seconds and it might appear). CPU usage is normal/low... other times I've waited 15 second and it's never come back to life.

Currently:
    OSX 10.12.6
    Chrome 60.0.3112.101
    1Password 6.8

• trevorlynnsmith
    trevorlynnsmith
    Community Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Enabling and disabling the extension in settings is a great workaround, thank you! It can be annoying when I have to close and reopen all of my development tabs and documentation.

I'm using the same app versions:

OSX 10.12.6
    Chrome 60.0.3112.101
    1Password 6.8 (680015)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jb510 and @trevorlynnsmith -- as far as we're aware, it shouldn't be happening nearly that frequently. The issue of invalidated code signature due to Chrome auto-updating is real...but I don't think even Canary is updated once a day or more. I'm glad you have a workaround, but that shouldn't be happening, and if you'd like to have us look a little more closely at things, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/80977/chrome-extension-click-and-nothing-happens#latest
    • Your forum username: trevorlynnsmith or jb510, respectively.

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the diagnostics we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Just to make sure we're all on the same page here, I wanted to mention a few things:

• We're now using Native Messaging to connect to Firefox and Chrome, and mutual authentication (matching the code between 1Password and the browser) is no longer necessary there.
    • Chromium is not a supported browser, and since it is not signed by Google 1Password will not connect to it.

We've just released 1Password for Mac version 6.8.1 to address some other issues with 1Password connecting the the browser in some scenarios, so it is possible that this helps folks with this as well. Please update (I'm seeing it available both for the AgileBits Store version and in the Mac App Store already, so if you're not it shouldn't be long), restart your Mac, and let us know if the problem persists.

• trevorlynnsmith
    trevorlynnsmith
    Community Member
    Options

I submitted diagnostics moments before seeing your reply (support ID #FBY-63366-356). I spent some time reproducing the issue and it would happen every time my computer locked (screensaver, sleep, etc.)

Upgrading to 6.8.1 appears to have fixed the issue. Much appreciated!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2017
    Options

Ah great, I was hoping that might help. Thanks for letting me know! It sounds like you should be all set, but we're here if you need us. :)

ref: KDZ-58697-881

This discussion has been closed.