Problem with 1Password mini and connecting to your website

Options
pulp3au
pulp3au
Community Member

Hi. I'm running macOS Sierra (latest version). I keep getting the “1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini” when trying to open 1Password message. I'm using version 6.8 of 1Password for the mac, bought and installed and activated from your website. However, I did have the mac app store version (same version as the website one - version 6.8) previously installed, though never used it and uninstalled it prior to buying and installing your website version. I'm confused because the "learn more" web page which is supposed to address this problem says to download the latest version which is what I have (version 6.8), and that this issue only affects earlier versions of 1Password. Could someone please help me with this and how to fix it?

I also cannot connect to the 1Password website unless I turn off protection in my antivirus app by Kaspersky (Kaspersky Total Security for mac and is a mutli-device app so it can be used on mac, windows etc.), which is inconvenient and worrisome. Can anybody please help me with this and please tell me how to fix it.

Thank you.

Anxiously awaiting a response.

John

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Jacob
    Options

Hi @pulp3au! I'd be happy to help out. Kaspersky Total Security needs to be configured for 1Password to connect to 1Password mini and your browser, so let's start by getting that set up:

How to configure your firewall, proxy, or other network software for 1Password

If 1Password still isn't working properly, could you please try reinstalling it from the Mac App Store? And if that doesn't help, to get a better idea of what the issue is, could you please create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac?

How to send a diagnostics report from your Mac

Attach the Diagnostics Reports to an email, and send it to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a confirmation number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• pulp3au
    pulp3au
    Community Member
    Options

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I did as you said and followed the instructions and added 127.0.0.1 to the “Bypass proxy settings for these Hosts & Domains” section under the appropriate network settings tab on my mac. I can now access the 1Password home page but when I try to sign into my account there I get the message that Safari cannot establish a secure connection to the page. I don;t use the mac app store version Although I can always install the one I bought - I uninstalled it after not even using it in prefernce to buying and using the version available on the 1Password website since I thought that would be updated more often. Any thoughts?

I appreciate your help. Really, think has only only happened since I installed Kaspersky antivirus. I've tried adding the 1Password website and sign into my account URLs to the exclusion or "trusted" websites section of Kaspersky, but that doesn't seem to have done any good. Should I maybe add just 127.0.0.1 to Kaspersky's trusted sites section? Thanks again for trying to help.

John

• pulp3au
    pulp3au
    Community Member
    Options

By the way, until I turned protection off in the Kaspersky menu tab I couldn't post the previous reply.

John

• Ben
    Options

Hi @pulp3au,

Sounds like Kaspersky has some explaining to do. :) Have you tried reaching out to them?

I did as you said and followed the instructions and added 127.0.0.1 to the “Bypass proxy settings for these Hosts & Domains” section under the appropriate network settings tab on my mac.

Please try also adding 1Password.com and AgileBits.com to this section.

Ben

• pulp3au
    pulp3au
    Community Member
    Options

Just a follow up: I added the 127.0.0.1 https URL to the Trusted Zone on Kaspersky, quit Kaspersky and then restarted it with protection on and now I can both access the the 1Password website and sign into my account there. So I guess the problem is solved. Thanks again for your help.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update, @pulp3au. :)

Ben

• pulp3au
    pulp3au
    Community Member
    Options

And, I was able to post that follow up reply above without receiving an error message preventing me as before :)

John

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2017
    Options

That is most excellent. :+1: :)

Ben

ref: GQA-94771-468

• pulp3au
    pulp3au
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry to be a pain, but I do still need an answer to that question I had in my first post about the “1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini” when trying to open 1Password problem. I wrote (please see above):

I'm running macOS Sierra (latest version). I keep getting the “1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini” when trying to open 1Password message. I'm using version 6.8 of 1Password for the mac, bought and installed and activated from your website. However, I did have the mac app store version (same version as the website one - version 6.8) previously installed, though never used it and uninstalled it prior to buying and installing your website version. I'm confused because the "learn more" web page which is supposed to address this problem says to download the latest version which is what I have (version 6.8), and that this issue only affects earlier versions of 1Password. Could someone please help me with this and how to fix it?

Hope someone can help out on this like @Jacob and @Ben have.

Thanks in advance.

John

• pulp3au
    pulp3au
    Community Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

I keep getting the message:

“1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini” when trying to open 1Password.

It's a problem.

I'm running macOS Sierra (latest version). I keep getting the “1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini” when trying to open 1Password message. I'm using version 6.8 of 1Password for the mac, bought and installed and activated from your website. However, I did have the mac app store version (same version as the website one - version 6.8) previously installed, though never used it and uninstalled it prior to buying and installing your website version. I'm confused because the "learn more" web page which is supposed to address this problem says to download the latest version which is what I have (version 6.8), and that this issue only affects earlier versions of 1Password. Could someone please help me with this and how to fix it?

Hope someone can help out on this like @Jacob and @Ben have on another post.

Thanks in advance.

John

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pulp3au: From your description, it sounds like you may just need to install the latest 1Password browser extension:

https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

Perhaps you do not have it installed at all (you haven't mentioned it), or it's outdated. There have been some pretty big browser changes lately, and you'll need to have the newest 1Password (good there), browser, and extension versions for them to all be compatible.

If you're still having trouble, please tell me the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

Find your version

The more information you can give, the better. Thanks in advance! :)

P.S: Just to clarify regarding Kaspersky, it's unfortunately rather common for "security" software like this to insert itself into the certificate chain (this is how website identities are verified) to try to "scan" encrypted traffic. This means that they can see everything sent to and from websites, which means that the connection is no longer secure, and we're very strict about not allowing 3rd parties to insert themselves between you and our website (or 1Password). Sometimes this is called "SSL/TLS/HTTPS scanning", and frankly it breaks the security of the web and is a potential privacy issue.

• pulp3au
    pulp3au
    Community Member
    Options

Before I go into all that detailed level of data collection perhaps I should note something first: I don;t get the error message about 1Password mini when I remove the "open with log-in" option on my mac icon in my dock and just open 1Password by clicking on it. It doesn't seem to open automatically when you start your mac like a lot of other apps (is that normal?). Also, since I removed Bitdefender antivirus and did a clean install of Kaspersky antivirus courtesy of the app "App Delete" and only now use Kaspersky as my anti-virus I no longer need to enter anything about 1Password's site and log-in area into Kaspersky - I can just get in, no hassles.

So I guess, before I do anything else could you please tell me if 1. 1Password is meant to start automatically with the mac startup, or is this not done because of some reason such as security and it has to be manually opened and put to work so to speak. and 2. Because I don;t get the error passage about 1Password mini" when I just manually open it without having it set to open at log-in via the dmac dock feature, does that mean it is behaving correctly and there really is nothing to worry about?

Also, could you please tell me where this 1 GB of space is that composes my storage for 1Password (I'm on the individual, not team or families plan). It would be good to know if I have this feature is enabled and it automatically backs up my 1Password data to it, since it said when I bought my monthly subscription that I have 1 Gig for storage so that would be good to know how that works. Also, could you tell me if being on a m,onthly/annual subscription (The only option apart from "teams and , I think, Families") that was available if my account for 1Password is automatically renewed every year and I'm continued to be charged for it and where to find out where this is listed and where it gives me the option, if it is the case, to either cancel or just let it auto-renew - which is what I'd probably be doing anyway, it just would be nice to know the option to cancel a automatic renewal is always there if that;'s how it works. I'm asking you because your post handle says you're a 1Password Team Member - hope you don't mind the questions. There doesn't appear to be a ticketing option like a lot of services have.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2017
    Options

@pulp3au: I don't think I asked for a "detailed level of data collection". It's just impossible for us to even attempt to test or offer a workaround without such basics as the OS and 1Password versions. I'd rather not make assumptions about what you're using, and "latest" could mean a lot of things depending on your setup unfortunately. I am glad to hear that things seem to be working better for you now, and if that's the case we probably don't need this information now. Just be careful with "cleaner" apps like that, as they often remove things you might not want them to — such as 1Password's database.

So I guess, before I do anything else could you please tell me if 1. 1Password is meant to start automatically with the mac startup, or is this not done because of some reason such as security and it has to be manually opened and put to work so to speak.

Unless something prevents it from doing so, macOS will start 1Password mini when you boot your Mac if you have it enabled in 1Password Preferences > General. This enables browser integration, and makes it faster to access your data through the menu bar.

and 2. Because I don;t get the error passage about 1Password mini" when I just manually open it without having it set to open at log-in via the dmac dock feature, does that mean it is behaving correctly and there really is nothing to worry about?

The main 1Password window should not open when you boot your Mac, unless you had it open when you shutdown/restarted and checked the box to "Reopen windows when logging back in." Does that help?

Also, could you please tell me where this 1 GB of space is that composes my storage for 1Password (I'm on the individual, not team or families plan). It would be good to know if I have this feature is enabled and it automatically backs up my 1Password data to it, since it said when I bought my monthly subscription that I have 1 Gig for storage so that would be good to know how that works.

That's probably local vault backups in 1Password's support folder. If you'd been using 1Password prior to signing up for a 1Password.com account, it will have automatically saved backups there locally. Those are good, but they'd be gone if your Mac died, or was lost or stolen.

1Password.com, on the other hand, gives you automatic offsite backup. But technically that's not the 1GB of storage you're referring to. The regular items stored in your 1Password.com account are compose of text, and these do not count toward the quota. The 1GB is for uploaded files, which will be shown as Documents in your account.

Also, could you tell me if being on a m,onthly/annual subscription (The only option apart from "teams and , I think, Families") that was available if my account for 1Password is automatically renewed every year and I'm continued to be charged for it and where to find out where this is listed and where it gives me the option, if it is the case, to either cancel or just let it auto-renew - which is what I'd probably be doing anyway, it just would be nice to know the option to cancel a automatic renewal is always there if that;'s how it works. I'm asking you because your post handle says you're a 1Password Team Member - hope you don't mind the questions. There doesn't appear to be a ticketing option like a lot of services have.

I can't share account details publicly, but you can easily view and manage your billing settings by signing in to your account on 1Password.com in your web browser:

https://my.1password.com/admin/billing

That will show you the current plan you've selected and any charges. And you can always remove your payment information if you want. If you cannot be charged when the renewal comes up, your account will be frozen until you setup payment again to be charged. You'll still have access to all of your data; you just won't be able to make changes when your account is frozen. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

ref: GQA-94771-468

This discussion has been closed.