Option to save/reuse the currently selected search/vault when the tab disappears

Hi,

I've just started using the extension and it is working well.
However for some things I need to open the extension tab, do a search (or select a specific vault), copy a password and paste it into a page and then repeat these steps a number of times. The problem is that every time I do this, the extension tab closes (as expected) but after pasting the details into my form I have to open the extension tab again and perform the search again.
It would be nice to have an option to leave the last typed in search (or selected vault) in the search bar so that it automatically shows the search results again. Or alternatively have a 'recent searches' or 'last search' link next to the search box itself which would be a great way of quickly offering this functionality.

Just a suggestion but I think it could help a number of people :)
Cheers
Simon

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 0.7.7
OS Version: Ubuntu 14.04
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Hey @canstudios_simon,

Welcome to the 1Password for Chrome beta! :)

This is a fascinating suggestion. I completely understand how useful this could be in certain situations (like copying many fields from one item) but I also wouldn't want my "user state" saved every time. For example, if I search and then use Go & Fill, I'd likely want that search to be cleared.

Additionally, in Chrome that 1Password pop-up is redrawn every time you activate the extension. This doesn't mean we couldn't pass in a saved user state, but this isn't simply a switch to flip.

In my mind, the best option is to have an ability similar to our anchor item button that we use with our native clients, but that might not be doable. The good news is in future releases you'll be able to click the edit button and view the item in a new tab without needing to sign-in. This should make it easy to copy over multiple fields, and it might be nicer just to switch tabs instead of relaunching the extension repetitively.

I will bring your suggestion up with the team and see if we can make this super easy in the future. If you see something else that could be better, please let us know. Cheers!

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• abscondment
    abscondment
    Community Member

Hello!

I'm seeing that the current behavior has been changed more or less to match @canstudios_simon's request. That is, when I perform a search and "open and fill", my previous search remains in the search bar the next time I open the extension.

I get the "I need to do this multiple times" use case, but I can't imagine that is the most common use pattern. Most of the time, it's exactly the opposite of what I want, since it breaks these scenarios:

1. I want to search for a completely new login.
    2. I'm already on a known website and want 1Password to detect this and choose the correct login.

(1) could be mitigated if you a) automatically cleared the previous search or b) at least highlighted the text so that I could replace it just by typing. As it is at present, the cursor is actually positioned so that typing prepends to the previous search. Ick!

(2) just feels broken. If I open the extension on a known website, it makes almost no sense not to show me the Login(s) for that website.

Thanks for all the great work!

-Brendan

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Hey @abscondment,

Thanks for the extremely clear and concise feedback on our new method for state saving. I can't guarantee what changes we are going to make yet, but we have been discussing this internally, and we plan to make this much nicer in future releases.

We just wanted to get the base functionality established and start testing what we liked and didn't like. There are some distinct advantages to saving the current state but we can make it so much better – and we will. ;)

Currently, we only completely reset the state after 1Password hasn't been used 15 seconds, but we can expand this to incorporate other reasons to reset the state.

I would apologize for the inconvenience, but this is supposed to be the fun part of betas! You'll see us change and tweak features quite often to reflect both how much we like them and more importantly how our beta testers feel about them.

Have a great rest of your week!

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.