How can I use my families license without using my data?

sriggins
sriggins
Community Member

Hi! I'd like to use 1Password on a machine without syncing any data, ever. I just want to store a few passwords in a local vault.

How can I use my license in this manner?

1Password Version: 6.8.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How can I use my families account on a machine without using my data?

Comments

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

Where did you buy your 1Password license? From the AB store or Mac App Store or are you using a 1Password.com family account?

• Frank
    edited August 2017

Hi @sriggins - If you have a standalone license, yes you could disable syncing via iCloud or Dropbox, it's not recommended but yes, you can definitely do this. If you have a 1Password membership, this is not possible since we take care of all the syncing on our end. There is no way to disable auto-sync with a 1Password.com account at this time. May I ask what you're trying to accomplish and maybe we can better help once we understand your use case? Keep us posted and we'll be here to help if you have any additional questions.

Thanks @Manaburner :smile:

• sriggins
    sriggins
    Community Member

Thanks, yeah it’s a 1password for families license. This is a bummer, but I understand why it is the way it is for now.

• Hi @sriggins - I appreciate the feedback but as I mentioned, if you have you're using a standalone license, this is possible. You just have to disable sync if you're using Dropbox or iCloud. With a 1Password Families (separate from a standalone license) this is not possible to do at the moment since we handle all the syncing on our end. I hope this clarifies things a bit more and let us know if you have ay further questions.

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

Hi @Frank could @sriggins not do the following:
    1. Add Family account to the device
    2. Select the option to allow creation of vaults outside 1Password.com
    3. Create the "offline" vault and choose not to sync that one

Would that work? Or is 2. no longer possible?

• @Manaburner

That would work, but I don't think it would accomplish the stated goal. All of the 1Password membership vaults associated with sriggins' 1Password Families account would still be synced to that computer as well, which it sounds like he wants to avoid.

Ben

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

@Ben ok good point.

• :+1:

Ben

• Just to add a bit to Ben's post. It's one of the reasons I didn't recommend this initially as of right now with a 1Password.com account you don't have the ability to select which vaults you want to sync over after signing into the account via the apps. You can hide the vaults via preferences and create a local vault outside of 1Password.com but this doesn't sounds like what @sriggins was originally trying to accomplish. Sorry about that, I should I have been a bit more detailed in my original reply. Have a great weekend!!! :smile:

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

Hold on, I have one last idea. ;) He could use Travel Mode and not mark any vaults as "Save for Travel". How about that? :)

• Hmmm.... @Manaburner, I didn't even think about that. Yes, that could work but the issue will be having access to the vaults via his other devices. If you mark the vault "safe for travel" this will remove the vaults from all the apps, once unlocked, until Travel Mode is disabled. It's a good idea but I don't this will work for his use case. I appreciate the suggestion :+1:

• steven1
    steven1
    Community Member

@sriggins

Depending on how full your families license is, you could create another member for just this use. Don't include this member in any other family vaults, and even mark any vaults as not safe in Travel mode.

Then create a local vault. You will use an additional slot from your family plan, but it can be done.

• I think we're doing a lot of reading between lines on what @sriggin's real requirements are. There are some pretty good recommendations on this thread. Let's give them time to read them and let us know if they're insufficient.

Rick

• sriggins
    sriggins
    Community Member

I think I will just create another family member on a new email address. Thanks for the idea. That way I can utilize the software with an isolated data set.

• Thanks for getting back to us @sriggins. Let us know how that goes.

Rick

• sriggins
    sriggins
    Community Member

No problem. It’s an edge case. It would be nice to have my personal vaults show up under sync and to be able to deselect them, but I get it that it’s an edgecase and possible vehicle for license abuse.

• It's no problem at all @sriggins and keep us posted if that works for you or if you run into any questions a long the way, we'll be here to help. Have a great day!

This discussion has been closed.