Restoring from local cache

Options
radialMelt
radialMelt
Community Member

Hi folks,

Following a catastrophic failure with my wife's HTC One m8 I am attempting to recover her 1Password data and could use some help.

Unfortunately the phone corrupted some data and the OS is behaving as if it's a fresh install - no contacts, apps all behave as if they are being launched for the first time, etc. However, it appears as if all the data is still on the phone - pictures, music, apps, they look to be all there. I am hoping the 1Password data is still intact but the app is not seeing it for whatever reason. No external sync was ever done. This is the standalone Android app (paid, v6.5.4).

I have a full backup of the phone (post corruption) that I made via ADB. So, I have access to the 'inaccessible' local cache where 1password's local vault is stored. I would like to access this information to retrieve her passwords.

Is there a way I can have the app read this data again? Keeping in mind I essentially have full access to this phone. She still has her master password (thankfully) so if I can get the app to recognize the data we should be able to access the vault.

Any tips would be appreciated!

Cheers

Comments

• radialMelt
    radialMelt
    Community Member
    Options

Addendum: my running theory is that HTC Sense (the layer of software that runs on top of Android) is what corrupted and took out her profile with it. So upon reboot a new OS profile was created that is no longer linked with her old data.

• radialMelt
    radialMelt
    Community Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Well, I suppose this will get no attention. Not terribly surprised. Luckily my wife is able to recover most of her passwords.

Due to the lack of support for paying customers, the lack of updates to the Android app (.csv export? sync'ing to another vault after initial setup?) and the abandonment of users who do not wish to sign up for the subscription-based service (the ability to create a new agilebits vault has been stripped from the app) I will be taking this opportunity to switch to another password manager and leave 1Password behind for good.

• peri
    Options

Hi @radialMelt. Sorry for the wait!

Unless your wife had configured sync, either with local storage, Dropbox, or WLAN, or created an export of her data, then we won't be able to help recover it. WIthout syncing, the data is indeed stored in the local cache, but can't be read or recovered from there.

Do you know if she was syncing with local storage? If so, she should have a 1Password.agilekeychain folder on her local drive. Otherwise, is it possible she created an export? If so, she should have a 1Password Backups folder with a .opvault folder inside. We can recover the data from either of those formats. Let me know what you find out!

• radialMelt
    radialMelt
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the reply. She did not do a local export, nor a sync -- no vault file has been created at any point. All I have is the local cache which I saved via an ADB backup.

Thanks for the clarification.

• peri
    Options

Ah, sorry to hear that, @radialMelt. But I'm glad she was able to recover most of her passwords. :)

Moving forward, I'd definitely suggest syncing. You can find the instructions here:
    https://support.1password.com/sync-options/

If she configures local storage sync and resets or changes her device, just make sure to backup the .agilekeychain folder for safekeeping.

Let us know if you need anything else!

This discussion has been closed.