Installation withOUT Sync Possible? or Disable Sync

Ines
Ines
Community Member

Hi,

From my evaluation exercise of password managers 1password met the criteria for a no-sync option (well that's what I read).

However, this does not appear to be the case. First install on Android and the app is attempting to call home (blocked by Netguard thankfully).

I want nothing to do with synchronisation or an online account. Can this be done?

Thanks,

Ines.

Comments

• radialMelt
    radialMelt
    Community Member

You could technically get the app running with a vault/db stored on your phone or dropbox or whatever and then disable the sync after you've set the mobile app up. You could use the trial of 1Password v4 on PC to create the vault in the first place.

However, the fact that you have to jump through these hoops now (because you didn't in the past) is a major turnoff. I have previously purchased two "pro" licenses of the Android app and recently I've found myself in the same position as you. It's so painfully obvious that Agilebits has done this on purpose to push users to their private, cloud-based, subscription service. The fact that I've bought this app twice and can longer create a local vault on my phone is shocking to me. If I didn't have the technical acumen to work around this (by my suggestion above) then I would be forced to sign up to the subscription based service just so that I can continue using the app that I've paid for. This is unacceptable to me.

Good luck!

• Hi @Ines. Thanks for reaching out!

With 1Password 6 for Android, if you are not syncing, your data is only stored in a local cache, which can't be migrated or recovered from. There is the option to sync with local storage, in which case the data syncs to a folder in your device's local drive, which you can migrate if you change phones or need to reset the device.

That said, as 1Password 6 for Android has only ever supported creation of Agile Keychain vaults, which we are now deprecating in favor of the more secure OPVault format and even more secure 1Password accounts, we removed the ability to create those from Android. So for now, you'll need to create a vault from another device and sync it to the Android, as @radialMelt mentioned, or sign up for a 1Password account.

Can I ask why you're averse to syncing?

• Ines
    Ines
    Community Member
    edited August 2017

Thankyou for your responses RadialMelt, Peri,

Peri, RadialMelt has answered my question satisfactorily. I under his/her technical approach to the problem and I know how to go about doing it.

Equally, I share their deep dissatisfaction that it works like this. It seems now-a-days every fre@king service wants to rail-road you in some way. The reality of 1passwords existence is partially due to this; because every online interaction, even just to buy a widget or toilet paper roll wants an account with a login&pwd, your IP address, how many times you access that service and from where. It is MOST disappointing that 1password would decide to contribute to this idiocy, but there we are.

I have no issue synching on WiFi to my local server, but as I now see, the technical effort to use 1password as I'd been led was possible, is now about the same effort as setting-up and using KeePass - the opensource alternative. I hope you can see how I seethe at this reality (and I suspect as does RadialMelt and I conclude others).

It surprises me that you have actually asked this question, when 1password would know full-well this would be consequence of their software design architecture.

Some may call us the equivalent of the digital Amish. I couldn't give rats.

Respectfully,

Ines.

• Thanks for the update, @Ines. I'd like to address some of your concerns.

First, even with a 1Password membership, the information that we have on you is quite limited in scope. 1Password is private by design. We don't want to know that much about you.

1Password is also secure by design. Just like with the standalone version, 1Password memberships are designed to protect your data in a 'worst-case scenario' situation. Your data is end to end encrypted locally on your own devices, with keys generated locally. We never have the keys to decrypt it.

We've also been subject to some 3rd party audits, including a $100K bug bounty in Bugcrowd, which has been going on for a while.

If you're interested in the nitty gritty details, we've heavily documented our security model. Please have a look at our white paper.

That said, I'd also like to point out a distinction between syncing and syncing with a cloud service. When I say 'sync,' I'm also including local storage and WLAN server sync--neither of which relies on a cloud service. With local storage sync, your data simply syncs with a local folder. With WLAN server sync, your data syncs over a local Wi-Fi network with a computer.

As you originally mentioned not wanting to sync, i just wanted to point that out.

Let us know if you need anything else! Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.