To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Unable to set up 1PW6 on second Mac

Options
Scott_mac
Scott_mac
Community Member

I have a 1PW6 license (not membership) on my Mac desktop. Need to establish parallel account on a Mac laptop - both with El Capitan and 1PW6 6.8.1 installed. Downloaded copy of license to destination laptop, then did Export to 1PIF file on desktop and sneakered over. IMPORT only shows as inactive (shaded) option on laptop, although on source Mac it shows ability to select/find a 1PIF. So laptop shows Vault options (in 'More Options", under 'Used 1Password before?') of 'Search my Mac', 'Create Standalone Vault', or 'Restore from Backup'. None seem appropriate. Or am I a 'new user' ?

1Password Version: 6.8.1
Extension Version: ?
OS Version: Mac El Capitan
Sync Type: trying manual ...

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Scott_mac: Are you using El Capitan on both Macs? Instead of exporting the data, it would be better to sync the same vault between computers:

Sync your 1Password data

Then you can select "Used 1Password before?" and choose the appropriate option there to load your data. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Scott_mac
    Scott_mac
    Community Member
    Options

Yup, but ... as I mentioned, I don't have a membership/account/etc., and (for immediate/personal reasons) don't want to get into the membership arrangement. Yes, both systems are El Capitan. If the Export/Import arrangement is not operating as it is apparently supposed to, would doing a backup on the desktop the restore on the laptop work ? Shouldn't be this difficult.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Scott_mac: Exporting is for moving the data to another app. It sounds like you're trying to use the export function as a sort of manual sync. Similarly, backup is not the same as sync either and you'd just be making more work for yourself trying to use that to transfer data. I didn't mention 1Password.com memberships, so I'm not sure what you're referring to. It's really much easier if you just sync the data using one of the multiple methods outlined in the guide I linked above. That's why I suggested it.

This discussion has been closed.