Unable to install Firefox extension after FF upgrade to 55.0.3

mskopel
mskopel
Community Member

Hello,

I am unable to install the 1Password extension in Firefox.

I have upgraded Firefox to 55.0.3. I opened the Add ons window and disabled several add ons including 1Password. After doing that I restarted FF and no longer saw the 1Password add on. I tried installing from the 1Password app and the alternate location but each time I received an error message stating that the add on could not be loaded due to a connection failure.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael

1Password Version: 6.8.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Unable to install Firefox extension about FF upgrade to 55.0.3

Comments

• HTI68
    HTI68
    Community Member

I have same/ similar problem. I have password 1 in my Firefox extensions, but it (the extension) won't update with my Firefox 55.0.3. Help!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2017

Hi @mskopel and @HTI68 -- Can you both please try downloading the extension manually from this link and installing it? Thanks, let us know how that works!

ref: QWL-74223-944

• HTI68
    HTI68
    Community Member

Lars,

it gives me a connection error. Firefox says "Can't install this extension due to a connection failure" and I obviously have interest connection if you can read this :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

LOL, fair enough @HTI68 -- sounds like there's something else at work there. The next step I'd try is rebooting your Mac and trying again. Unless you've got work you can't quit open, that's going to be faster than trying to troubleshoot what process may have failed in the background or what else might be wrong. If it behaves the same way after a clean reboot, we'll know something's persistently wrong. Good luck!

• mskopel
    mskopel
    Community Member

Same here. I tried the link on a second computer which already has the 1P extension installed and it too gave me a connection error. In case it matters, before I get the connection error, I get a message saying Firefox prevented this site from asking you to install software on this computer. I click Allow and then get the connection error message.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the update(s). Can one (or both) of you try opening Firefox Preferences > Security and clicking the Exceptions button, then adding in this AgileBits URL there? https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions -- let me know if that works for you.

• mskopel
    mskopel
    Community Member

Hi Lars, Adding the URL removed the warning about FF preventing this site... Now I just get the connection error.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2017

Hey @mskopel - I assume you've already run through these steps? If not, please try those first, and if none of that helps, let us know. The steps near the bottom of that page are going to be the more relevant ones for you.

• mskopel
    mskopel
    Community Member

Hi Lars,

Problem identified. I use Avast for security. They have 3 free programs called File System Shield, Mail Shield and Web Shield. By turning off Web Shield I was able to install the extension. Turning it back on did not cause a problems with 1Password.

This is new, I've been using Avast for about a year and never had this problem. I have been unable to determine if they have issued a software update lately. Btw, adding Agile Bits' URL to Avast's exception list did not fix the problem.

All is good on my end but let me know if you need more information from me or would like me to test anything.

Thanks.

• HTI68
    HTI68
    Community Member

Lars,

I already went through adding the link as an exception last time I tried to update, but I restarted the computer and went through all the steps again. I still get a connection error and since mskopel gets the same thing on 2 other independent computer, I'm pretty sure this must be external to our computers?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mskopel - I'm glad to hear you got it sorted! This page references such issues, but what threw me was that you said this was a simple upgrade attempt (as opposed to anything really new).

@HTI68 - Given @mskopel's issue, I'm wondering whether you're using any kind of anti-virus software anything else that might block the extension? Please see the same link I gave to @mskopel and see if any of that helps solve your problem. Let us know!

• HTI68
    HTI68
    Community Member

Lars,

I turn off all pop up managers and all virus protection (Avast) and I get the same error message using your link, but when I tried updating straight from Firefox extension manager, it finally worked. Tack för att du tog dig tid :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@HTI68 Glad to hear it! Du är ganska välkommen -- let us know if the problem recurs or you need further assistance. :)

• Bob_SF
    Bob_SF
    Community Member

I had the same problem when trying to reinstall the 1Password extension in Firefox v55. First I got the "allow" popup and then the "connection failure" popup. I tried the alternate download site, made the suggested change to Mac Network Proxies, tried to see if I could make an exception in Avast, etc. Along the way I restarted Firefox several times. I didn't try rebooting my Mac, though. The only thing that worked was turning off Avast Web Shield temporarily. Not ideal.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017

@Bob_SF: I agree, but we can't stop them from interfering with the connection. And if a secure connection cannot be established, our site will reject the attempt. We don't want to lower security, as that would make it easy for someone to impersonate our site to give all of our users malicious extension and app downloads. The only solution is to stop Avast (is that their "Web Shield"?) from performing a person-in-the-middle attack on your secure (or what should be) connections, which affects much more than 1Password.

• thospe
    thospe
    Community Member

Hi, had the same issue but I'm using Kaspersky. Disabling the tool for the installation worked fine for me but is not very userfriendly. Regards Thilo

• rudy
    edited September 2017

@thospe,

That's really strange, because at this point the 1Password extension for Firefox shouldn't use networking at all anymore.

Rudy

• Mawa
    Mawa
    Community Member

What you should do

If you’re having trouble installing the 1Password extension in Firefox or it doesn’t update automatically, follow these steps to install the extension manually:

Open a different browser, like Safari, Edge, or Chrome.

Copy and paste this link into your browser to download the 1Password extension. It will be saved as a .xpi file in your Downloads folder.

https://1password.com/browsers/firefox

Open Firefox and drag the .xpi file to the Firefox window, then click Add.

After you manually install the extension, you may need to manually add the 1Password button to the toolbar.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Mawa: Thank you. Unfortunately the issue people are having is that something is interfering with the browser's ability to establish a secure connection to our server to download the extension in the first place. It can be downloading in another browser instead, but that doesn't resolve the underlying security issue they're facing, if something in their setup is compromising their ability to connect securely and privately with the website in order to prevent eavesdropping. :(

This discussion has been closed.