Autofill and 1Password Keyboard

technofunky
technofunky
Community Member

I am trying to move from lastpass to 1Password but the auto fill is becoming a deal breaker for me. Switching keyboards is tedious, I know that the answer I will get is that the upcoming Orea will solve this issue. But the ground reality is that getting the latest android version is a pipe dream for many. Either the latest version will take years to come, or will never come for your device.

I am even ok with using the 1password keyboard but the keyboard doesnt even have a basic spell check, I wish 1password had a better way of implementing auto fill. Or is there a better way to get auto fill in android on 1password ?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @technofunky. Thanks for the feedback!

We're aware the our custom keyboard is an imperfect solution, which is why we're currently in the process of reworking filling. You mentioned autofill in Android O which is already supported and available to everyone using Oreo. In addition, we've added support for Open YOLO. With Open YOLO, apps need to add support for 1Password filling. As apps start adding support for us, you'll see the option in them.

Beyond that, we're going to be looking at improving the existing accessibility service so that it works without the keyboard. That one is a bit further off as we're working on the other two currently.

That said, I'm not sure what the default keyboard on your device is. If you're using the Gboard, you can long press on the space bar to quickly switch to 1Password for filling. From the 1Password keyboard, you can long press on the space bar to quickly switch back to your preferred keyboard.

Let us know if you need anything else! Thanks!

• krakastan
    krakastan
    Community Member
    edited August 2017

Unfortunately this looks like a dealbreaker for me also, especially given the absence of any timeline. (Android O and YOLO appear way off for many users). Pushing Accessibility options, which would work across many devices, into the future (long grass?) is a shame.

Mobiles are now central to online access, and having to manage several users means different OS and HW types, which Lastpass do seem to get right (or at least much better!)

It is shame as I like other aspects of 1password.

• Hey @krakastan. Thanks for joining in the conversation! I'm not quite sure what you mean by this:

Pushing Accessibility options, which would work across many devices, into the future (long grass?) is a shame.

Can you elaborate on accessibility options working across many devices? Also, to be clear, we do have an accessibility service that works alongside our keyboard for filling, if you don't have Android O.

• krakastan
    krakastan
    Community Member

I have used lastpass on IOS and several Android devices - their accessibility option to filling (generally) works well.
    The 1password approach (using the keyboard?) doesnt - Im afraid it is, IMHO, very poor in comparison and not useable.

You indicated above that you were concentrating on Android O and YOLO, which is a solution for the future and newer devices.

you also said
    'Beyond that, we're going to be looking at improving the existing accessibility service so that it works without the keyboard. That one is a bit further off as we're working on the other two currently.'
    IF it happens at all.

I have to allow for multiple device types and therefore see no solution coming in the short term.
    Whilst pwd filling on a mobile device is only one aspect, it is a very significant one, and has to be at least useable

The rest of the product i like :-)

• Thanks for the feedback. I understand how you feel, @krakastan. There are a number of considerations that went into the decision to base filling on a keyboard. You can read about them in mverde's explanation in another thread.

Essentially, when we introduced the keyboard, there were only a few ways to enter text into a text field from outside of the app that owns that text field. Our main goal was to avoid copying to the clipboard, which is not a secure place to store your data on Android since all other apps have access to clipboard contents. Since we wanted to avoid the clipboard, we went with creating a keyboard and accessibility service that allow us to fill into login fields directly, without automating copying and pasting to and from the clipboard. Those issues have been resolved in recent Android updates, which is why we're able to revisit our accessibility service now.

That said, there's a softkey that allows you to quick switch between keyboards. On vanilla Android, the key shows up at the bottom right hand corner of the screen when focused on a text field. You can also long press on the space bar of the 1Password keyboard in order to quickly switch back to your preferred keyboard. If you're using a Samsung device, you'll find the softkey in the notification drawer.

While Google's Autofill framework does indeed require Android O, Open YOLO will be available for any device running Android 4.0 or later. Indeed, it will take some time for apps to adopt, but we hope that it won't be long. :)

This discussion has been closed.