Retrieving/Resetting Admin Master Password for Family Account.

charlescoates
charlescoates
Community Member

Hi everyone! I'm the administrator for my family's 1password team account. The master password for my personal vault is working, but my admin master password for the family account when I try to log into 1password.com is not.

What can I do to retrieve/reset the master password for my family's account when trying to log in online?

Thank you!
Charles

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

What do you mean by "my admin master password"? Are you using different users where only the one with the "admin master password" is the family organizer?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@charlescoates: It sounds like you may be using a local vault in the app with a different Master Password for your actual 1Password.com account.

(Un)fortunately AgileBits doesn't ever have either your Secret Key or Master Password, as that wouldn't be very secure at all. The Master Password is chosen by you, and the Secret Key is generated locally on your device. Neither is ever transmitted.

We don't have access to your data can't recover either of these for you, so I hope you're able to find your Emergency Kit, or have another authorized device where you can view your Secret Key. Otherwise it will not be possible to login to your 1Password Account. However, please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

https://support.1password.com/master-password/#recover-your-master-password

Alternatively, if you're part of a 1Password Family or Team, another Owner, Organizer, or Admin can help you recover your account, so you can create a new Secret Key and Master Password:

https://support.1password.com/recovery/#begin-recovery

Please let me know how it turns out. I look forward to hearing back from you!

• charlescoates
    charlescoates
    Community Member

Hi guys,
    Thanks for responding. @Manaburner Yes, I am the family organizer, with two others using their own personal vaults. @brenty I do have my 1Password security key, but not the master password (for the admin login). Is there a way of resetting the admin master password w/ just the security key? I also have two other authorized devices logged into the family account. These accounts have my personal vault and a shared vault.

Thanks!

• There is not. Both pieces of information are critical and required to decrypt your data (and login). I take it you haven't been able to locate your Emergency Kit, and there isn't another family organizer on the account? Unfortunately in that case you'd need to create a new 1Password Families account, invite your family members to the new account, have everyone move their data over (including yourself), and then delete the old account. Once you've done so I'd highly encourage you to generate and print an Emergency Kit, and to invite a second family organizer.

Ben

• learning_1pw
    learning_1pw
    Community Member

charlescoates, on your authorized devices, try switching to your Private vault. If you're lucky, your login information will be there. For me, 1Password put the information there when I signed up for my account.

• learning_1pw
    learning_1pw
    Community Member

One more thing. If you do get logged in, be sure to make at least one additional family member a family organizer. They can then initiate a recovery process.

• Yep, starting in mid-April 2017, we started creating a Login item for new accounts and putting that in the private vault for each user. :) It's certainly worth checking there if you can unlock 1Password on one of your devices, @charlescoates.

• muscal
    muscal
    Community Member
    edited August 2017

@Jacob I am also having a similar issue with my Family Account. I am totally fine with creating a new family account but i'd like to delete my old one as a precaution. Can anyone assist with this?

• muscal
    muscal
    Community Member

@Frank , i'm in a similar boat, can you send me a DM?

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@muscal: I'd be happy to help get your account deleted so you can start over. I've just sent you an email message (from support@agilebits.com) so we can verify your email address, please let me know if it doesn't arrive.

Since this is an account related issue, we can continue the conversation over email.

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.