Is there a command line interface?

365nice
365nice
Community Member

Hi - been a long time 1P user. Our office kind of uses lastpass (kind of, because its really not very user friendly and so it has a mixed take up), but I wanted to see if we could evaluate 1P Team.

1 thing that has come up, our dev team has a lot of passwords, and some of them are concerning automation of test systems etc. They currently use a Linux utility called Pass, which is a command line tool. We have talked about trying to use 1 password manager, and had noted that lastpass does have a command line version. Does 1PTeam have a command line interface? Is there a Linux version - such that a script could call that command line tool - get a password prompt and then allow some details to be extracted and piped to a script? Ideally - the password response can have some duration so that a script can make multiple calls for a duration to automate things until it times out (and requires a new password).

Actually I would think this might be the kind of tool that AgileBits might use themselves (assuming the Agile part of the name does imply they use that kind of methodology). I'm sure you must have automated builds that need certificates or automate moving things to servers etc. In those circumstances can you have a certificate and use .ssh/authorised_keys?

I just did a search and can see things from 2011 about this - is there really know solution?

Tim

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi Tim,

We do not currently have a command line tool for accessing 1Password data. There has been some discussion around creating an API for 1Password for Teams, such that one could be created, but that is still in the brainstorming phase and I couldn't comment on when or even if such a thing will happen.

Sorry we don't have a solution to offer at this time. Hopefully down the road.

Ben

• 365nice
    365nice
    Community Member

Thanks for replying. As I said, hopefully it's something you guys (or Agile Bits) would use too as I'm sure you/they have similar requirements on their team to automate software builds.

Otherwise, I do recomend the Linux utility "pass" with git and you can suffer some duplication with the rest of us.

• I'm sure some of us here would use it, especially those on the development team. Right now it's not a priority though. Once we get an API out (which is down the road a bit) we can revisit more specific tools like this. :)

• jasnw
    jasnw
    Community Member

I would also like to see a CLI, or perhaps a python library, that would allow access to 1Password databases. As the OP notes, this topic came up years ago, but the answer seems to be the same (we're thinking about it, but it's downstream). An official CLI developed/distributed by Agile Bits would be best/safest, but a good stable python library would also work.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the feedback! Like Penderworth said, this is something we're interested in, but we have many other things that we're working on at the moment. Once we have something to share on this front we'll be sure to let people know :)

• terryc
    terryc
    Community Member

I'd like to see a supported command line interface as well. It get's bit tedious leaving the terminal to search and click through the 1Password GUI to find passwords to paste back into the CLI.

• We couldn't agree more. We'd love a CLI interface too. It's something that's on our radar but there's a few things that we need to get done before we can tackle that one. It sounds like a really fun project to work on though. :)

Rick

• dcolon
    dcolon
    Community Member

Hi. I'm checking back on this. Any updates to report?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Nothing new to announce, but we'll let you know if we do in the future. ;) :+1:

• hairyhenderson
    hairyhenderson
    Community Member
    edited August 2017

Looks to me like there's a CLI mentioned here: {removed]

I tried to go to the download page though, and got a 500 Internal Server Error... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• We don't have an update or any news to share at the moment. If and when we do, we'll make sure to update everyone here :smile: Have a great weekend!

• 2bithacker
    2bithacker
    Community Member

An official replacement for sudolikeaboss would be great, since it seems like the interface that's using breaks with every major update to 1Password. It's become a major component in my day-to-day work, and at this point I can't upgrade to 1Password 6.8.1 because it'll break sudolikeaboss again.

Or direct integration with iTerm2, that'd be great too.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know what you're looking for!

This discussion has been closed.