iPad 1Password vault won't unlock

Options
evanturner
evanturner
Community Member

I cannot get my 1Password vault to unlock on my iPad. I'm entering the correct password (it unlocks on my MacBook and my iPhone), but it just throws an error over and over. I rebooted the iPad, I deleted and reinstalled the 1Password app (which unlocked the vault using my master password), but it still won't unlock.

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 10.3.3
Sync Type: 1Password Account

Comments

• samantha2074
    samantha2074
    Community Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Both my daughter and I are having the same problem on our iPhones. It was working for me a couple of days ago. I've verified my vault password by logging in from my Windows laptop. I haven't tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app, but I have tried power cycling the phone a couple of times. TouchID is no longer an option. I'm using 1Password 6.8 on iOS 10.3.3.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@samantha2074: You didn't mention what you're using, but this may apply to you as well.

@evanturner: If you have a local vault setup on your iPad, you'll need to enter the Master Password you setup for that rather than your 1Password.com account. The 1Password apps unlock using the Master Password of the first vault/account added.

If you're still having trouble, (un)fortunately AgileBits has neither your 1Password data nor the Master Password used to secure it, so this isn't something we can 'reset' for you to help directly. However, please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

https://support.1password.com/master-password/#recover-your-master-password

If that doesn't help though, you will need to either restore from a backup, sync from another device, or simply start over. be sure to try any Master Passwords you may have used, as the is no penalty for doing so. Please let me know how it turns out. I look forward to hearing back from you!

• evanturner
    evanturner
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, I used the master password from my 1Password family account, and that unlocked it. I had an existing 1Password setup (using Dropbox for syncing), and the old password from that still unlocks my iPhone and my MacBook vaults, even though the apps are all using my new 1Password family account. Strange.

Thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@evanturner: Ah, that explains it. I got it exactly backward. Glad that helped anyway! Indeed, if you removed the local vault you'd been syncing with Dropbox after migrating to your 1Password.com account, that Master Password will no longer be used there, only the one you setup for your 1Password.com account.

It sounds like you may still have a (Primary) local vault on some of your devices though, and it would be worth getting that sorted out on those as well to avoid further Master Password confusion. Let me know what you find!

This discussion has been closed.