To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Very, Very Confused with Licensing and current version of 1Password

Karandash
Karandash
Community Member

Hello, first time poster long time user :) Please help me by fully reading my questions and providing very simple answers, thanks!

First, I'll mention, all of the articles and support that is available is horribly confusing, with several articles being dated many years ago and seemingly irrelevant now and every resource I find either half answers the questions I have or doesn't answer them at all and I end up spending hours upon hours upon hours upon hours researching the below VERY simple questions.

First of all, what is the current version of 1Password? Is it 1Password 4, 4.6, 6...? What link or where do I go on AgileBits website to download the current version of the software? How can I tell if I have the Beta version of the software installed? What are the implications to using the Beta version if I do indeed have this version? For example, by using the Beta version of the software, is it unsecure, have I leaked all of my passwords to everyone because I synced to a Beta version of the software? If so, how would one rectify this instead of resetting usernames and passwords for the 30000000 I have?

I purchased a license a while back and I understood it was a one time license that was good for the life of the product. At that time it was 1Password 4. How does this compare with whatever the heck the current version is? For example if I have a license for 1Password 4 and AgileBits comes out with 1Password 300, and changes their entire licensing structure, what the heck do I do? And is there a VERY simple explanation that someone can direct me to in the event this happens? Do I need to enter a license key any more, if so where do I enter it in under the software menus for 1Password 6?

The version of the software I currently have installed, 1Password 6, doesn't allow me to do nearly anything, like create a new login or edit a secure note for example...

Please anyone if you could assist I would greatly appreciate it. The product is good, but the website and the whole experience is so horribly confusing to make the success of the product almost pointless..

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• johnpaul21
    johnpaul21
    Community Member

Hi im having the same problem, i purchased the licensed way back on 2012. havent used the app since 2013. until now its the same issue. whats a license vs a monthly subscription? i do not comprehend why we need to keep changing license as a new update arrives. now im planning to use it again but im confused as hell as to what to do.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Some answers, by no means all.

The current version of 1PW may depend on whether you are using Mac or Windows.

Assuming you are using a Mac, current is version 6. This is a free update from version 4, your licence will continue to work. When 1PW 7 appears, there may be an upgrade price, but the only time anyone is FORCED to upgrade is when their version of 1PW does not work with a new machine with a new version of the OS (on an old machine you don't have to update the OS), and this is not common. As you say, the licence is valid for the lifetime use of 1PW 6.

You would not have Beta software installed unless you deliberately decided to do so (of course you might have clicked the button that allows for updates from the betas, but again not likely). There's no security risk in the betas, as security is AgileBits most important aspect. However, there could be bugs and even unexpected crashes. In general, don't use beta software unless you are willing to test the product and live with problems.

You can tell which version you have by opening 1PW and going to About 1Password in the menu.

If you can't create a new login this implies that you are in trial mode. This most likely happened because you started an account (the new subscription model) and the trial period is over. It could also occur with the stand-alone (one-time licence) model if the licence has not been applied. This is less likely as 1PW6 should just pick up the old licence.

As for the difference between licence and subscription, the most important difference is that the sub gives you all the versions of 1PW on any platform and never requires an upgrade fee. see https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/68576/whats-the-difference-between-a-1password-subscription-and-a-standalone-license#latest for further info.

• Hi @Karandash! I'm sorry for the confusion. Let's clear things up. :)

First, I'll mention, all of the articles and support that is available is horribly confusing, with several articles being dated many years ago and seemingly irrelevant now and every resource I find either half answers the questions I have or doesn't answer them at all and I end up spending hours upon hours upon hours upon hours researching the below VERY simple questions.

Which knowledge base articles did you find confusing? We improve them as often as we can, so knowing which ones you found would be helpful.

What is the current version of 1Password? Is it 1Password 4, 4.6, 6...? What link or where do I go on AgileBits website to download the current version of the software? How can I tell if I have the Beta version of the software installed? What are the implications to using the Beta version if I do indeed have this version? For example, by using the Beta version of the software, is it unsecure, have I leaked all of my passwords to everyone because I synced to a Beta version of the software? If so, how would one rectify this instead of resetting usernames and passwords for the 30000000 I have?

It's at different versions on each platform. 1Password for Mac is at version 6.5.2 right now, 1Password for iOS and Android are at 6.4.5, and 1Password for Windows is at 6.1.308 if you're using it with a subscription account or 4.6.1.616 if you aren't. Learn more about what has changed recently. For betas, we have a knowledge base article that should help you determine whether you're using a beta on one of your devices:

How to use 1Password beta versions

The beta uses the same security as the regular app, so your passwords are protected by 1Password's security architecture no matter what. It's awesome you have over 30 million passwords stored in 1Password too! :glasses:

I purchased a license a while back and I understood it was a one time license that was good for the life of the product. At that time it was 1Password 4. How does this compare with whatever the heck the current version is? For example if I have a license for 1Password 4 and AgileBits comes out with 1Password 300, and changes their entire licensing structure, what the heck do I do? Do I need to enter a license key any more, if so where do I enter it in under the software menus for 1Password 6?

1Password licenses are good for updates to the version you have. So, if you purchased a license for 1Password 4, it would include updates to version 4. The next upgrade to 1Password hasn't been announced yet, so the details about upgrades to it will come at a later time. I'm afraid I can't answer questions about things that haven't happened yet.

The version of the software I currently have installed, 1Password 6, doesn't allow me to do nearly anything, like create a new login or edit a secure note for example...

It sounds like there's a bit of confusion here about how to use 1Password 6. If you're using the Windows app, you need an account to use version 6, as I mentioned above. There will be a version of the app without an account down the road, but right now the current version for your license would be 1Password 4. I just resent your license to you so you have it on file. :)

I do want to note that licenses are not planned to go away. We're offering a subscription service now as an an alternative for folks who prefer to organize everything in one nice place and not worry about syncing it between their devices. This has been a challenge from the start with 1Password, and we finally decided to do something about it with the concept of an account. The only thing is, accounts have to be stored somewhere, and storage in the cloud is a recurring bill. Subscriptions fit that perfectly.

The apps, on the other hand, are the core of 1Password. They make it a unique password manager, because most others out there use browser extensions and websites primarily. We believe in having a native experience, and we don't want that to go away anytime soon. Lots of our users, too, are using 1Password because they prefer the standalone experience, not a cloud-based one. That's totally fine — to each their own. :) And you can keep using things just as you always have. Seriously. We're not planning to stop selling licenses or stop supporting that model. If something changes, we'll let you know well ahead of time.

I hope that provides a bit of background on the decision. It wasn't easy. We had to consider what people really needed, and what we got lots of emails about. So many people had trouble with sync, no matter how we boxed it up or made it easier, that a unified experience with an account was just the best option at the end of the day.

Hope this provides some background on where we're at today. If you have some other questions, we're here to help.

• @johnpaul21 I hope my post above helps you as well. You can learn more about the difference between your license and a subscription account in this forum post:

The difference between a 1Password subscription and a standalone license

My post above goes into more detail. Let us know if you have some questions.

• johnpaul21
    johnpaul21
    Community Member

how future proof are license holders regarding app updates? you mentioned license holders can still get updates of that current version they have. which is a bit weird, i find that eventually you will stop updating that and stick with one version only across license holders and subscription which will require all license holders to get a subscription.

youre confusing everyone on your app including people who supported you when you were starting. so many versions, dont you get confuse as well. seriously, your app is nice but how you manage the versions vs license vs subscription is making the whole journey a hassle. youre offering a solution to us users, yet how you want us to use it is quite a hassle man.

if you want to go subscription, do so across all. simplify not complicate, thats what your app is all about man.

• johnpaul21
    johnpaul21
    Community Member

youre offering subscription if people just wants to get the hassle done. as per your description, subscription covers all versions in the future whereas license holders just the current one. for a user, companies saying such things just makes it seems unstable for us license holders. you might as well ask license holders if we would want to shift to subscription at a special rate or something.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

It is very common for licences to cover just the current major version, with an upgrade fee when a new major version comes out. I think most of my licences work that way, though a very few cover all future versions.

I think people would be wise to expect an upgrade fee of around half the new purchase price to move from version 6 to 7. But AgileBits have been generous in the past, with the upgrade from 3 to 4 being a paid one, with 4 to 5 and 5 to 6 being free, so even 6 to 7 could be free.

My feeling is that AgileBits model (offering both a one-time licence and a subscription) is a good one, but they haven't yet got the right wording to prevent people getting confused about the options.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

if you want to go subscription, do so across all. simplify not complicate, thats what your app is all about man.

@johnpaul21: This is a fair point, and certainly something we considered. But in the end, we decided to add the option for subscriptions alongside licenses, even though we knew it could cause some confusion, expressly because we didn't want to abandon "people who supported [us] when [we] were starting", such as yourself, as you rightly remind us. Thank you! We also offered some great promotions when we introduced the subscription services earlier this year, and while those are long gone, I suspect that we'll have other great deals in the future as well. And of course if you'd like to migrate to a subscription, just shoot us an email at support@1password.com and we'll see what we can do to help. Cheers! :)

• Karandash
    Karandash
    Community Member

Thanks for all the answers however I am still confused about the difference between a subscription a license and the different, prices, updates and software that comes with each. The link above pointing to the change log is not helpful at all to sift through pages upon pages upon pages of changes made to each version of the app just to figure out which one I should and can use and what the differences are.

When I search the Agilebits forum for "subscription" I get a very unhelpful couple of links to help setting up your subscription but doesn't include the pricing, for that you have to go to a different link on the website which appears to have prices for a subscription and not a license (I think?), is purchasing a lifetime license still an option? When I first get to AgileBits website I'm presented with a couple of in my face links including 1Password, when I click on that there is no option on the bottom to download the software for that you have to go to the download page and then the download page only includes four large icons to download the software on the different platforms available, no indication of the version until of course you start downloading the software. And of course before you download anything you should look at the pricing, which is a different link as noted above. If what you said about full support of both the license and subscription version is true, why is there not an indication of this when you try to download the software or get pricing, like HERE IS A DOWNLOAD LINK FOR SUBSCRIBERS, HERE IS A DOWNLOAD LINK FOR LICENSE HOLDERS. The above is just a few examples of the confusion I mentioned in my original post and how difficult it is to simply find information on your website. I think the website would benefit from a bit of re-organization, which would likely hugely reduce the amount of inquires via this forum.

So back to my original question, which I would prefer not spending the next 5 hours trying to find the information for. You mentioned that the license model will continue to be supported, could you explain this a bit more? The license model for what? 1Password 4? Or will a 1Password 5 come out that will be a different software via a license that you'll be forced to upgrade to as the older version will no longer be supported.. That would be a quick way for AgileBits to get a possible huge influx of cash if they decided to do this.. What is the difference in the software and capabilities between the subscription account and the license account? What is the pricing difference between a license account and a subscription account? Do I understand correctly that if I downloaded 1Password 6 and I don't have a subscription that the software won't completely work? This would explain why I can't create logins or do any of the other normal functions, it sure would have been nice to have been notified during the download process that I need a subscription to properly use the software or some indication with the downloaded software that I need to get a subscription or even prevent me from downloading the dang stuff so I don't confuse the hell out of myself.

I think my path is rather straight forward currently, I am going to remove 1Password 6 from my computers and download 1Password 4 and hope for the best I guess. Until of course it gets messed up again or I have to reformat my computers again (damn anniversary update..) and then I'll likely consider a different password manager (as there are a lot of them) that isn't so dang confusing. I think its great you folks put a lot of thought into the decisions you make for your company but if you don't properly and easily convey changes to your customers, you could have the best password manager ever created and it wouldn't matter...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2016

Thanks for all the answers however I am still confused about the difference between a subscription a license and the different, prices, updates and software that comes with each. The link above pointing to the change log is not helpful at all to sift through pages upon pages upon pages of changes made to each version of the app just to figure out which one I should and can use and what the differences are.

@Karandash: That's what we're here for: to answer your questions; you just have to ask them. :)

When I search the Agilebits forum for "subscription" I get a very unhelpful couple of links to help setting up your subscription but doesn't include the pricing, for that you have to go to a different link on the website which appears to have prices for a subscription and not a license (I think?), is purchasing a lifetime license still an option?

We have never sold a lifetime license. To be clear, a license never expires, but it is for the specific version purchased (e.g. 1Password for Windows version 4). Pricing information for 1Password.com is available if you go to https://1password.com and click "Pricing" at the top. Pricing information for standalone licenses is available if you scroll down from there and click "purchase a standalone license". We avoid posting pricing information on the discussion forums since information here can easily become outdated. And this is a support forum anyway. Current information on the products themselves can always be found on our main site.

When I first get to AgileBits website I'm presented with a couple of in my face links including 1Password, when I click on that there is no option on the bottom to download the software for that you have to go to the download page and then the download page only includes four large icons to download the software on the different platforms available, no indication of the version until of course you start downloading the software.

If you go to the downloads page, there is a link for the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app (used for the subscription service) and another below it for the standalone version, 1Password 4. This is the only case where there are separate apps, and this is temporary. If you have a 1Password Account, there is also a link to each of the apps in the "Get the Apps" section of your account settings.

And of course before you download anything you should look at the pricing, which is a different link as noted above.

I'm not sure I agree. After all, we offer a free trial. And even if we didn't, you don't have to give us any payment information if you're not prepared to buy anything. I know I wouldn't. ;)

If what you said about full support of both the license and subscription version is true, why is there not an indication of this when you try to download the software or get pricing, like HERE IS A DOWNLOAD LINK FOR SUBSCRIBERS, HERE IS A DOWNLOAD LINK FOR LICENSE HOLDERS. The above is just a few examples of the confusion I mentioned in my original post and how difficult it is to simply find information on your website. I think the website would benefit from a bit of re-organization, which would likely hugely reduce the amount of inquires via this forum.

I don't think inquiries are a bad thing. And being married has taught me that one person's idea of organization is another's chaos. :lol:

As for 1Password, often there is no "one-size-fits-all" answer or solution. Everyone's needs are a bit different after all, and the only way you can get information specific to your needs is to ask. We simply can't hope to design a website that is perfect for everyone, no more than our software is. Different strokes for different folks.

In the end, we're just people like you, so anything we produce will be imperfect. We do our best to fill that gap with responsive support, and we'll continue to strive to do better in each regard, with the help of feedback like yours.

So back to my original question, which I would prefer not spending the next 5 hours trying to find the information for. You mentioned that the license model will continue to be supported, could you explain this a bit more? The license model for what? 1Password 4? Or will a 1Password 5 come out that will be a different software via a license that you'll be forced to upgrade to as the older version will no longer be supported.. That would be a quick way for AgileBits to get a possible huge influx of cash if they decided to do this.. What is the difference in the software and capabilities between the subscription account and the license account? What is the pricing difference between a license account and a subscription account? Do I understand correctly that if I downloaded 1Password 6 and I don't have a subscription that the software won't completely work? This would explain why I can't create logins or do any of the other normal functions, it sure would have been nice to have been notified during the download process that I need a subscription to properly use the software or some indication with the downloaded software that I need to get a subscription or even prevent me from downloading the dang stuff so I don't confuse the hell out of myself.

Windows is the only exception here, as we've had to build a brand new app going forward. Currently, 1Password 4 works with local vaults with a license; whereas 1Password 6 supports 1Password.com Accounts for the subscription service. In time, we'll be adding local vault support (and other features) to 1Password 6, and then we'll have a single app for all 1Password users on PCs, just like we have a single app on other platforms. This way you can choose to purchase a license and sync your own data, or subscribe and let your 1Password Account do all the work. This is what we mean by licenses and subscriptions will both be supported going forward.

I think my path is rather straight forward currently, I am going to remove 1Password 6 from my computers and download 1Password 4 and hope for the best I guess. Until of course it gets messed up again or I have to reformat my computers again (damn anniversary update..) and then I'll likely consider a different password manager (as there are a lot of them) that isn't so dang confusing. I think its great you folks put a lot of thought into the decisions you make for your company but if you don't properly and easily convey changes to your customers, you could have the best password manager ever created and it wouldn't matter...

You're right. I'm really sorry this has been so confusing and frustrating for you, and I appreciate you taking the time to let us know the issues you ran into — and ask questions so we can help. Please don't hesitate to reach out with any other comments, questions, or suggestions you might have. We're listening. :blush:

• I think we've sorted things out pretty well here, @ox4dboy. We'll keep your conversation in its thread. :)

• thehomme
    thehomme
    Community Member

Really Jacob? I've joined a free trial via iOS and then seemed to create another free trial via desktop (OSX). It's the most confusing mess of a product subscription as I've ever come across. Sent a mail to support. It really shouldn't be this complicated. The actual product is good but understanding the account set-up and payment is a nightmare

• @thehomme

Jacob's point was that your question really deserves its own thread, which you've already created. It doesn't belong in this one, as this thread has already run its course. :) Thanks!

Ben

P.S. I've replied to your email.

ref: QDB-17999-241

This discussion has been closed.