To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Changing Passwords and logging in

leslieclary
leslieclary
Community Member

Hi. I just signed up with 1Password and went through my bank accounts, email, etc. and used the password generator to change to more secure passwords. And I've been locked out of all of them! When I logged out, and then tried to log back in, it said "wrong password". I tried doing it with 1Password and got the same info. I'm still locked out of a few. Others I called or managed to re-set back to my old passwords. But I thought the point was to secure the accounts, so what do I do?

1Password Version: ??
Extension Version: ??
OS Version: Max
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hi @leslieclary -- so sorry for the trouble! Based on your description, it sounds as if you may have used 1Password's password generator to create new passwords for various sites, but not actually changed the password on the password change page of those sites themselves? Is that possible? Here’s the procedure for changing passwords -- is this what you did? If not -- if you just changed the password in 1Password itself, then you'll need to use the previous password to login to the sites in question, and from there, you can change to the new password you generated.

On your Mac, 1Password has a feature called "Previously used passwords." So if you don't remember what your previous password was, you can see it in the item detail. If you click show previously used passwords, you'll get a list of all the times you changed the password for that record (in 1Password, not on the website). You'll also be able to reveal or copy any of those previous passwords to regain access to those accounts. Good luck, and let us know if you run into any trouble!

• leslieclary
    leslieclary
    Community Member

Thank you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

You're quite welcome, @leslieclary -- good luck getting things changed successfully, and let us know if you need any further assistance!

This discussion has been closed.