Migrate 2-factor authentic to 1Password?

kappabear
kappabear
Community Member

What's the best way to migrate my existing 2-factor authentication keys from an application like Authy to 1Password?

1Password Version: 6.8.1
Extension Version: 4.6.9
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kappabear -- thanks for the question, and I wish I had a better answer for you. Unfortunately, there's no good way to simply "migrate" those codes. Some of the websites you may have 2FA enabled for may allow you to change your 2FA device, others will require to turn it off, then back on again and re-scan the code in 1Password. But in any event, it's not a simple matter of just moving some data from one place to another (I wish it were!). However, there's actually a great article written by a former employee here, that goes into detail about how to do it. Remember that you can use your Mac now, not just iOS devices, to scan 2FA codes. Good luck, and happy migrating!

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

At the moment I'm using Authy through my Android Smartphone on four different sites. I'm wondering how practical it would be to leave Authy on the Android purely for use with the smartphone, but then set up 2-factor authentication via 1Password for the Mac, so I don't have to find the phone and manually type in the code on the computer. In other words, can we use separate 2-factor authentication for different platform devices?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ashleyk: I guess "practical" is just a matter of what works for you. I know some folks do something similar to that. It's just a matter of preference. So long as the TOTP secret and time settings are correct on a device, it should be able to generate the code just fine. :)

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty I tried, but it looked a bit fiddly, at least with Dropbox, which only appeared to offer one option, so I ended up installing the Mac desktop version of Authy. Now I can just copy paste from the app on the Mac, rather than looking for the phone and manually typing in the code, so it's an improvement on what I had. No doubt someday it will be possible to use 1Password to do this on Android and there won't be any issues.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ashleyk - That is certainly the goal -- feature compatibility on all platforms. If your current setup is working for you now, we're glad to hear it, and, as always, keep an eye on updates. :)

• etc
    etc
    Community Member

Unfortunately, you can only migrate the "external apps" from Authy to 1Password, as those are the ones that use the Google Auth protocol. The sites that use the proprietary Authy TOTP attached to your phone number are inaccessible and a different protocol.

For the external accounts, you can use this script to access them.

https://gist.github.com/tresni/83b9181588c7393f6853

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, while it's great that the TOTP standard exists, not everyone is using it unfortunately. Thanks for sharing! :)

This discussion has been closed.