To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How can I get 1pw to work with an "Account" on Windows 8.1?

V_Lare
V_Lare
Community Member

I just started an account. I got it working fine on my main MacOS machine. Also an iPhone, no problem.

However, I'm having trouble getting it to work on a Windows 8.1 system.

On Windows:

I uninstalled all previous versions of 1Password and installed version 6 for Windows.

The instructions at https://support.1password.com/add-device/?windows say...

Open and unlock 1Password.

However, 1Password will not unlock. I carefully entered my current master pw several times. I also tried a previous master pw. It shows the "trying to unlock" animation, then displays a red circle around the "keyhole."

I also looked at the Windows "Setup Guide" at https://support.1password.com/1password-setup/?windows#get-the-apps

It says...

Select “Sign in to your 1Password account” on the welcome screen.

When I launch the application, there is no "welcome screen." The application just launches and I see the locked 1Password window. There is no "Sign in to your account" option, as far as I can tell.

I'm using Dropbox in case that matters.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 8.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2017

Hi @V_Lare,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. Please try these steps to reset 1Password 6 for Windows:

1. Right-click (or touch and hold) the 1Password icon in the notification area and choose Exit 1Password.

2. Select the Start button, copy and paste the following into the search box, and press Enter:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password

3. Rename the data folder to backup-data.

The next time you open 1Password, it will be as if you’re opening the app for the first time.

I'm using Dropbox in case that matters.

1Password account data does not sync through Dropbox. It uses an entirely 1st party solution.

Please let us know how that turns out.

Ben

• V_Lare
    V_Lare
    Community Member

Alright, thank you. That resolved it.

1Password account data does not sync through Dropbox. It uses an entirely 1st party solution.

In that case, should I delete the 1Password dir in Dropbox?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2017

Alright, thank you. That resolved it.

You're very welcome.

In that case, should I delete the 1Password dir in Dropbox?

I'd recommend making a backup before deleting it.

Ben

• V_Lare
    V_Lare
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

Ok, I'll make a backup.

Alright. Just so I understand, does each device have a local copy of the data? (I guess so, since it works in airplane mode.)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ok, I'll make a backup.

@V_Lare: Great! Better safe than sorry. :) :+1:

Alright. Just so I understand, does each device have a local copy of the data? (I guess so, since it works in airplane mode.)

Yep! The native apps cache the data locally so it can work offline. Arguably, no internet makes 1Password much less useful in most cases, but there are definitely things we want to be able to access without a connection, in a cave, or whathaveyou. Cheers! :)

• V_Lare
    V_Lare
    Community Member

Ok cool. Thank you for the information.

• You're very welcome @V_Lare. :) If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.