Do you plan to drop standalone licensing completely?

I switched to 1Password a few years back and am very happy with the software.

From the answers I've seen on this forum however I understand you no longer offer standalone Windows licenses and you don't promote the availability of standalone Mac licenses either.

I object strongly to the subscription model for software licensing but am very supportive of paid upgrades across all platforms - I am a developer myself and of course want us all to get paid...

So a couple of questions I'd be grateful for answers to:

• Why is there no longer a standalone option for the Windows version of 1Password?
  • Is AgileBits committed to continuing to offer standalone purchasing options for future versions of 1Password?

Thanks for your time.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @PaddyTB,

Why is there no longer a standalone option for the Windows version of 1Password?

1Password for Windows currently only has support for 1Password.com vaults, so it wouldn't make sense to sell a license for it. It wouldn't be able to do anything with it. We do plan to rectify that for 1Password 7 for Windows (more below).

Is AgileBits committed to continuing to offer standalone purchasing options for future versions of 1Password?

We have no plans to discontinue licensing options, and will have a licensing option for 1Password 7 for Windows:

AgileBits Blog | 1Password 6.7 for Windows: a feature buffet

From the post:

[...] so we’re happy to announce that standalone vaults will be an available entree on the menu in 1Password 7 for Windows. 1Password 7 will be free with your 1Password membership, but if memberships aren’t for you, paid licenses will also be available.

Thanks. :)

Ben

• PaddyTBPaddyTB
    edited September 2017

Thanks Ben, trawling through the comments to that and some of the other blogs AgileBits seem to have suffered a bit of a PR car crash on this topic, so sorry to revisit.

Can the upcoming support in the Windows version be made clearer on the website somehow? It would save our and your time asking the same questions over and over...

Once again thanks for the response, very much appreciated and as always you are streets ahead of the competition in customer support terms.

All the best,
    Paddy

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Thanks for the feedback, and the kind words, @PaddyTB.

We feel 1Password membership provides the best experience and offers the most value, and so adding more information about licensing (which requires more technical expertise, and is more complex from a purchasing perspective) may only serve to muddy the message further.

Thanks!

Ben

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file