Purpose of Vaults - Vaults vs. Tags?

Options
AskAli
AskAli
Community Member
edited September 2017 in Mac

What's the purpose of vaults? I'm new to 1Password and I'm not sure when to use a tag and when to use vaults. The search command basically covers everything I need so I don't need too much organization but I'd like to organize my school-related logins and emails and I was curious whether to put them all in a separate vault called School or a tag called school?

What's the pros and cons of vaults vs. tags? I don't really get their intended purpose other than in family accounts where you can assign different people their own vaults, I have an individual account and vaults/tags almost seem like the same thing to me, it's like a folder.

P.S. I really wish we had a way to manage moving items in between vaults other than the Mac App, perhaps via the web browser or iOS app.

1Password Version: 6.8.1 (681006) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: 4.6.10
OS Version: macOS 10.12.6
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• @AskAli,

Vaults are separately encrypted containers that have different access passwords. So if you were to sync to an agile keychain or opvault you would be prompted for something other than your master password when you add that vault to another device. Some people want to separate personal from work items and want them to be encrypted/protected with a different password.

Tags are meant as an organizational tool to use inside of a vault. You'll probably want to just use Tags to label your school related things and only have a single vault.

Rudy

• AskAli
    AskAli
    Community Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

@rudy: Vaults have separate passwords? I tested by making a school vault and I still just use my master password. I would prefer everything to be under one password anyway. The less to remember the better.

I guess it’s really useful if I were using a families account.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AskAli: Yep! With 1Password.com, vaults do not have separate passwords. They do have separate encryption keys under the hood, since that facilitates key exchange for sharing — and ultimately that allows each user to choose their own Master Password for their accounts, even if they share some data.

• AskAli
    AskAli
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty So you’d suggest tags for organizational type things like my school-related items and separate vaults for more sharing type stuff like sharing a Netflix login or something.

Also, is there any sense in getting a family account even if it’s just me? I really like the guest feature to share vaults temporarily and account recovery but otherwise it’s just me so I’m not sure if I should just stick to the individual plan.

If I add someone as a guest are they required to make an account?

• Tags are great for organizing information, yes. Vaults are for separating information. I suppose you could think of it a bit like tags being folders within filing cabinents, and vaults being filing cabinents (it isn't a perfect analog, of course).

If you'd like to use guests you'd need a 1Password Families account. Individual accounts do not have any guest access.

Guests do need to create an account, yes.

Ben

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

As Ben said:

Guests do need to create an account, yes.

And there's more information in this support article:

Share passwords and other items with guests

• AskAli
    AskAli
    Community Member
    Options

Cool, will check out. Thanks guys!

• You're very welcome. :) If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• mynci90
    mynci90
    Community Member
    Options

This exchange was helpful to read to understand the point of Vaults. Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for letting us know @mynci90, that's great to hear :) and welcome to the forum!

• Piggy
    Piggy
    Community Member
    edited June 2019
    Options

I have 1,500 1Password records of different types. All of my work logins, secure notes, credit cards, etc. are in a work vault. All my personal of the same are in a personal vault. My wife's are in a third, my kids are in my fourth's (they're grown but I have a few bits I keep like their frequent flyer numbers and so forth), and I have a fifth vault for temporary stuff like logins for corporate trade show events that I help staff. The separation of data into different vaults is very handy. If I change jobs (one day) or wife (hopefully never) I can just delete everything in that vault. Command-0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 is very easy to jump between vaults, I have approximately 75 tags across all the vaults. 99% of the time I'm in the personal or work vault. All the websites (login records) that have a particular credit card are assigned to a tag for that credit card. e.g. I have a card for Amex... Amazon and other websites that have this card stored are tagged together. Makes it real easy to know which websites I need to update when a credit card expires or is replaced due to fraud. (The latter has happened with my work credit card twice.) I have a tag for which websites (login records) use my personal email address and which ones use my work email address. Again easy to update if I change jobs as many websites will continue to be used (like LinkedIn) despite where I'm working. All of my software that requires activation (and, thus, deactivation if I replace a computer or device) are tagged as such. I hope this gives you an idea of the power of 1P, vaults and tags.

I guess I am a power user. ;-) I'm happy to show the Agile folks what I have if they're interested.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Some of that are things I already do, others I've heard from 1Password users, and the rest are things I might try. Everyone does things a bit differently, but that's okay because there's really a lot you can do to kind of make it your own. Very cool. Thanks for sharing how you use 1Password! :chuffed: :+1:

• bookers
    bookers
    Community Member
    Options

@Piggy that was super helpful...thanks a lot!

• Ben
    Options

:+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.