Getting Started in 1Password - Importing Data from iAccounts

I'm considering moving to 1Password from my current password manager, the IOS-based iAccounts app and its Windows companion iBackup by Venticento Studio, but I'm not sure what order I need to do things in. I understand that I will need to export the 300 records in CSV format (which I know how to do) and then import them into 1Password. However, I use Windows 10 and from what I've read it seems that the importing needs to be done in 1Password 4, rather than the current version. Obviously I want to make sure that I can migrate my data successfully before signing up permanently. Does signing up for the trial period give me access to 1Password 4 or 1Password 6 or both, and how do I swap between them? Could you please clarify the correct sequence. My apologies if this is a stupid question or if it's been asked before.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @mandrake079! I'm exciting you're considering making the switch to 1Password and I'd be happy to help with importing. Our support article is a bit confusing on the Windows side as, although it's true that 1Passowrd 6 for Windows cannot import CSV, the web application can, so you wouldn't need to use 1Password 4. Far from your question being stupid, that's probably something we should consider rewording. These instructions under the Step 2 header are for importing a Dashlane CSV, but the only change for an iAccounts CSV would be to choose Other rather than Dashlane in #3.

iAccounts isn't an app I'm personally familiar with and it's not one we have a built-in importer for, so there's a chance your CSV may not import properly depending on how iAccounts formats its exports. You can learn more about formatting a CSV file to import into 1Password here. I'd suggest comparing your iAccounts export to the format discussed in that article to determine whether it's likely to import smoothly without editing. If it doesn't look similar to the format discussed in the article, you can manually edit the CSV for a better import.

In addition, one of our forum users, MrC, has developed some conversion utilities to help with importing into 1Password. It looks like iAccounts isn't supported at present, but it may be worth reaching out in this thread all the same if you're finding your CSV doesn't import properly. MrC is likely better at imports than most of us are, if we're honest. :wink: And, of course, we're here as well if you have any questions or need help along the way. :chuffed:

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@mandrake079 ,

You can use the csv converter in the converter suite to convert your exported CSV into 1PIF, which 1Password 6 can import. Use the 1.10 version in Testing Bits, mentioned in the first post of the thread. The first post, and the README.pdf will guide you through the process. If you need help, don't hesitate to ask, even if you need remote assistance.

• mandrake079
    mandrake079
    Community Member

@bundtkate and @MrC . Thank you both for your help. I've now migrated my old password manager data in 1Password and am pleased with the result. I'm still running on the trial at the moment, but I very much like the way 1Password syncs across all my devices and I'm pretty sure this is the way ahead for me.

A simple export to CSV proved to be all that was required. Once the data was in a spreadsheet, I had to delete one of the fields altogether (the previous manager's 'category' field) and reorder a couple of others. After importing into 1Password, I then had to do a record-by-record comparison which was a bit tedious but necessary because of a flaw in the way the old manager had exported the data: some of the records included multiple username and password fields, for example, but the exported data only contained one of each. My only reservation about the 1Password side is the apparent inability to import categories other than 'Logins', and if I understand correctly there isn't any way to re-categorise once a record has been created? I wasn't sure if MrC's converter suite might be able to overcome this restriction, but decided in the end that it would be just as easy to transfer the relatively small amount of data manually. The end result was a bit of extra work but it's only a one-off and overall worth the effort!

• @mandrake079: I'm glad things went (relatively) well and that you're happy with 1Password so far. We do our best to ease the pain of importing, but there are just so many password managers out there, it's always an ongoing battle. As you can imagine, @MrC's help and absolutely wonderful conversion tools are something we're constantly grateful for. :chuffed:

I'm glad we were both able to assist and, if you have any questions at all as you get started using 1Password, we're here for you. :+1:

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@mandrake079 ,

Its good to hear you were able to import.

FYI: The converter suite supports all the categories that 1Password has, so you can import more than just Logins from a CSV. It also supports custom section and field creation, and a lot more.

Enjoy 1Password.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Great news! :chuffed:

@mandrake079: please do not hesitate to reach out to us if you have any additional questions. Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.