To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Use Different Profile For Home vs Work Computers

Options
aakash
aakash
Community Member
edited September 2017 in Memberships

I maintain a distinct set of passwords at work and at home with an alternative password manager that I am considering moving from. It is a requirement that I keep these passwords separated. If I purchase a 1Password personal subscription, my understanding is that everything is stored centrally in the cloud. Is there some way for me to create a separate "profile" or something similar using a personal subscription where only specific passwords are synced to specific devices? I'd like to avoid 2 separate accounts since that would cost twice the amount.

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @aakash! Thanks for asking about 1Password. :) You can certainly store your work and home passwords in the same account if you'd like. A good way to organize them would be to use the Personal vault for your home passwords, then create another vault for your work ones:

Create, share, and manage vaults

Once you do that, you can move items between the vaults to organize them. Install the 1Password apps to use your passwords in your browsers as well:

Get the apps

Let us know how that goes!

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

where only specific passwords are synced to specific devices?

@Jacob: How do you achieve this with multiple vaults?

(I thought they are still all synchronized to all devices, unconditionally, except for Travel Mode?)

• Ah, good point @XIII! Sorry for missing that point @aakash. One way to do that with a single account would be to use 1Password Teams Pro. It includes the ability to restrict which apps can access certain vaults. This would only fit your setup, though, if you have a work device that's on a different platform from your home one, since it restricts access on a per-platform basis, which means allowing 1Password for Mac would allow all Macs.

If your data can be on the device but you just don't want to see it when using your passwords, you can remove a vault from All Vaults, which is the main vault view in 1Password. It combines all your vaults into one view so you see them all at once. You can choose to display certain ones on certain devices.

Lastly, your point about creating multiple accounts would work as well. You could sign in to one on one device, and the other on your second device. It's entirely dependent on how you want to use 1Password in each environment, and what restrictions you need to put on your data. Hope this helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.