To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

master password - need some help

Options
skorg264
skorg264
Community Member
edited September 2017 in Memberships

Oh boy...I think I may be in trouble. I can still access my 1Password on my iPhone as I have touch ID enabled. However, I recently changed my master password on my iMac and I'm not remembering it all even with my password hint. I forgot to make a secure note on my iPhone app to help me keep it known. Is there a way to reset my master password?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 4.6.9
OS Version: macOS Sierra 10.12.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• skorg264
    skorg264
    Community Member
    Options

I just restored an older backup from a week ago that had my old master password. So issue resolved.

• skorg264
    skorg264
    Community Member
    Options

I had to restore a backup from a week ago as I somehow forgot part of my new master password. After regaining my old master password, I went back into preferences to set up syncing again as it was turned off when I did the restore. After turning on syncing with iCloud, I keep getting the option to unlock and merge a vault in iCloud. However, it requires my new master password which I cannot remember. If I click cancel, then the syncing is also not enabled. I just want to get the syncing working again without having to unlock and merge. How do I do that?

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.8.1 (681005) Mac App Store
    Extension Version: 4.6.9
    OS Version: 10.12.16
    Sync Type: iCloud
    Referrer: forum-search:syncing

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ah, that was just what I was going to recommend. Glad to hear that worked for you. It isn't possible to reset the Master Password or change it without entering the current one, so that's the only option apart from starting over. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions!

• skorg264
    skorg264
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Brenty

• To answer your sync question, @skorg264, you can reset your iCloud data to get rid of that old vault and replace it with the backup. With sync disabled, choose Help > Troubleshooting > Reset iCloud Data. Once that's done, re-enable iCloud sync and you should be all set, but let us know if you're still having trouble. :+1:

• skorg264
    skorg264
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate Thanks for your help. Seems to have done the trick. A big thanks to @brenty for his suggestion in case he didn't get my earlier message (didn't add the @)

• On behalf of Kate and Brenty, you're very welcome. :)

This discussion has been closed.