Can't delete or use the Version 6.8.1 update that is hung up in the Mac software update app

dklobucar
dklobucar
Community Member

Version 6.8.1 update is hung up in the Mac software update app on my MacBook Pro. It has not updated the 1Password version I have on my machine. It is paused, shows 0 of 46.9 MB downloaded. When I click on the resume button, it does nothing. When I try to use the Update All button, it does nothing. I tried quitting and relaunching 1Password and nothing changes. I've tried restarting the machine and nothing happens. How do I delete this update and get one that works?

1Password Version: 6.8.0
Extension Version: Safari- 4.6.9 Chrome- 4.6.10.90
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:1 password update will not work in Mac app update

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dklobucar -- sorry to hear you're having trouble downloading the 6.8.1 update from the Mac App Store! We're not aware of any issues with our download, so this sounds as if it might have been an interrupted download or something to do with your Apple ID? I wish this didn't sound as if we were trying to avoid responsibility for helping you; I'm just not sure what we can do to help. If you've tried rebooting and you're still having issues, I'm just not sure what I can offer you as a solution. You might want to get in touch with Apple support to see if they have any approved steps for resetting or restarting an update in such a case. If you still can't get updated to 6.8.1, you could download 6.8.1 from our website, and then delete the Mac App Store 1Password app altogether, but that would store your data in a different location in the Library and seems like an extreme solution for what should be a trouble-free update process. Let us know how you get on!

• dklobucar
    dklobucar
    Community Member

Apple support suggested I delete the app and then reinstall from the App store. I just want to be sure this will this cause any issues with me restoring my 1Password data to my machine? I'm using 1Password for teams.

• Hi @dklobucar,

Your 1Password data is stored separately from the app on a Mac, unlike on an iOS device. You should be able to delete the app and re-download it without any loss of data as long as you aren't using any tools like CleanMyMac or anything that might try to help you out by deleting related files when you delete an app.

Rick

• dklobucar
    dklobucar
    Community Member

Thanks @Lars and @rickfillion for all your help. Another call to Apple Support garnered a solution. The tech support person had me boot the computer in safe mode and then see if there was still an issue with the update not resuming the download. When I launched the App Store under safe boot, it could not find the internet to load my data. I closed the App Store app, restarted the computer in the normal startup mode. When I launched the App Store to see if anything happened, the update was reset, able to be downloaded and updated 1Password to 6.8.1. Somehow the offending update was either cleared or reset. Everything with 1Password app is working fine.

• That's really bizarre... I'm not sure what all happened there. I'm happy to hear that it's working fine now though.

Thanks for hanging in there.

Rick

• BrianT
    BrianT
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

I am using v 6.7.1 and have tried to update to 6..8.1 by downloading from The Agile Bits site. The download starts and apparently completes the process but when I click on the button to download and install the whole process starts over again. Nothing appears
    in the download file and the application is not updated.
    I am running OS 10.12.6.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Sorry for the trouble, @BrianT -- can you clarify for me -- are you using the download process within 1Password for Mac itself? Or did you navigate to https://1password.com/downloads and try manually downloading from there?

• BrianT
    BrianT
    Community Member

Lars - I have tried both methods, with the same result.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@BrianT -- so you're unable to download this 6.8.1 update?

If you are able to download it to your downloads folder, please Quit 1Password and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), then drag your current (older) copy of 1Password from your Applications folder to your Mac's trash. Finally, unzip this copy of 6.8.1 you just downloaded, and drag it into your Applications folder. Double-click it to launch, then check the version number in "About" in the 1Password menu. Let us know how that goes!

• BrianT
    BrianT
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

Although the 1Password downloading window shows the downloading occurring and completing, the downloaded (?) file does not
    appear in the downloads folder and after I click on the download and install button the process starts over again with no apparent results.
    I should mention - although I think that it is a separate issue - that although I have checked the preference on my v 6.7.1 to check automatically for updates it is not reporting the availability of 6.8.1. If I click "check for updates" the information re 6.8.1 is displayed.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@BrianT -- if you can't download the file in my last message, that's a browser issue, not a 1Password issue. Can you do me a favor? Click on Spotlight in the upper-right hand corner of your screen (the magnifying glass), and enter 1Password-6.8.1.pkg. Do you find any instances of this? It's possible your browser is set to download files to some other location than your downloads folder. But a search for that specific file name should return results unless the file doesn't exist on your Mac. If you find NO copies of that file, please use a different browser and try to download it, then repeat the steps I gave above for deleting 6.7.1 and installing 6.8.1. Let me know if that works for you. You may also wish to temporarily turn off any download managers, anti-virus software or VPN/proxy software while you attempt to download. Let us know how that goes!

• BrianT
    BrianT
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

I have used Spotlight to search for the download files and got "no results". I have used Firefox to attempt to download the 1Password update with the same results that I had previously obtained (with Safari). Version 6.7.1 still works with Safari (fortunately), but the 1Password ikon in Firefox is greyed out. I am not using any anti-virus software, VPN/proxy software or any download
    manager.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@BrianT - Hmmm...that just doesn't sound right. At this point, to get a better idea of what's going on, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/81413/cant-delete-or-use-the-version-6-8-1-update-that-is-hung-up-in-the-mac-software-update-app#latest
    • Your forum username: BrianT

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the diagnostics we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• BrianT
    BrianT
    Community Member

Lars: I have completed the steps outlined in your last post.
    The support ID number is: #XYM-25166-856
    Hope this helps.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @BrianT - I've replied via email. (For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for BrianT only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.)

ref: XYM-25166-856

This discussion has been closed.